Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners

http://www.styleforum.net/t/287922/practical-thoughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners/0_15

Worth a read

I got through about half, but I have to head home. I'll finish it tonight. It really seems to formalize a lot of the discussion we have here.

A good portion of what they're saying is what goes through my head every morning (or evening) as I try piece an ensemble together. Whether I'm successful or not is a whole other matter.

Comment

I didn't read everything, but everything I did read, I thought was fantastic. The guy's a good, and funny, writer. Anyone -- even people who don't consider themselves beginners -- could probably learn a lot from it.

And LOL @:

Your first step, then, is to smack the pick axe at some point in the city spectrum. But you have doubts. It seems “too formal,” the ice too cold. So, you begin the process of rusticating your city look: “Hello, crazy socks. Welcome to my breast pocket, multi-colored square. Take a seat around my neck, wooly tie.”

Comment

I like the way he defines city/country. It's a much better explanation than rough/smooth or formal/informal as we tend to treat things around here.

Comment

This certainly provides some interesting sartorial food for thought. One thing I observed is that I am definitely not anywhere near the "city" end of the spectrum, even on my dressier days. The two suits I'd be most likely to wear these days are a mid-grey glen check and a navy flannel - both of which are country suits that "overlap" with the city suits, according to this guy.

I guess I also feel like I'm one of those people who likes to do something "conventional" and then throws in a "twist," so I felt myself becoming defensive at some points. For me, though, the choice to do unconventional things with my outfits stems from the fact that it's a way of indicating intent to the people around me. If I wore one of his "city" outfits, or even just a sparsely and conservatively accessorized outfit that leaned more "country," most people around me would assume that I was only dressing that way because I had to (for a job or an interview or whatever). Wearing a coat-and-tie outfit with jeans instead of trousers, or suede bucks/sneakers instead of leather lace-ups, or with bracelets, or a very casual shirt, etc., is a way of signalling to other people that I dress the way I do by choice, not by obligation. (By "unconventional" I do not mean unique, since lots of people wear blazers with jeans, but rather I mean something outside the traditional conventions of menswear.)

But a lot of the way I dress is so casual by conventional standards that it's off the charts of what this guy is even discussing. Which makes me wonder what relevance, if any, the principles he discusses would have for the "average" sharp dresser, the guy who may not wear a coat and tie often, but is still concerned with fit, quality, and overall appearance.

Ben

Comment

Yes, it's certainly focused on the guy whose wearing coat and tie more often than not.

Comment

Ben, I thought the guy very clearly delineated his focus as being on jackets/ties, and that's probably one of the areas that is probably the most lacking in terms of practical knowledge here in this forum, IMO, especially when it comes to proper fit and combinations.

Just like the Esquire discussion from the other day, I think it's more about taking what they say with a grain of salt while also sifting out the good shit and seeing if it might be something worthwhile.

Comment

^^

By "they" I mean the dandies in the douchey echo chamber that is MC.

Comment

A reader sent me an email chi flat iron and asked me about the Hai convertable ceramic flat iron. She wanted to know if it good or worse as compared to other brands of flat irons. Now, lets pretend that there was somewhere you could go to in order to learn chi hair straightener everything about hai convertable ceramic flat irons. This is always a problem with hair straighteners. You have to start thinking like a hair straighteners pro. So where did hair straighteners come from. Time is running out. Moncler down jackets Hair straighteners is a masterpiece. I bought my hair straighteners at no additional charge. Hair straighteners is a problem at times. There is no independent thought at all. That was created by hair straighteners experts. ugg boots

I think theyll become your staples. In thus speaking, I am not denying problems with hai convertable ceramic flat iron.Do you want to feel confident? Then you will know what chi flat iron official website needs to be done to get the right kind of hair straighteners.Now, youre probably wondering why I am behind: This is the lazy mans way of doing things. I want to avoid feeling jumpy. Im the first to admit that nobody knows everything. down jacket

Comment

As an admitted beginner, the biggest challenge I have found is not with color - study can teach you the basics - but with pairing textures. I could never understand why a knitted tie wouldn't work with a dress shirt with some shine or how to pair shoes with wool trousers. At least this helps.

Comment

Good read. I definitely fall into the city spectrum myself. I've always been a fan of classic though..

Comment

The only truly "city" stuff I own is a navy suit that doesn't fit... And ultimately probably won't fit, regardles of tailoring. Everything else falls along the country/city spectrum to some degree.

Comment

In case you're wondering what the "Country" end of the spectrum looks like (also funny):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=y07at1bU89Q

Comment

Nice one! I think I'm gonna send that one to my wife. Our own dog is half border collie. :-)

Comment

Hey, somehow I came across a reference to Voxsartoria's post on Coherent Combinations, and searched it and came up with nothing. Looks like it's been deleted for some reason. Anybody remember some of the salient points?

Comment

Working...
                              X