Proper Fit for a Leather Dress Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Fit for a Leather Dress Belt

I am a 39 year old man so I feel a little silly asking this question, but I had never given it much thought until recently. How far past the first belt loop on your pants (not on the belt itself) should a leather dress belt go? I recently bought an AE Manistee belt during the Nordstrom sale, and although the waist size of my pants is typically 32 inches, the size 34 leaves only about 0.75" of belt showing past my first belt loop (I also have to buckle it on the hole that is second-closest to the end of the belt). The size 36 leaves about 2.75" of belt past the belt loop, and buckles on the fourth hole (the hole that is second-furthest away from the end of the belt). Any advice on which size would be better to keep? I can take some pictures later if that helps, but was just wondering what "the rule" might be. The only rule I've been able to find online is that a belt should ideally buckle on the middle hole of a 5-hole belt, but I am unable to do that on either the size 34 or the size 36. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by evanc View Post
    I am a 39 year old man so I feel a little silly asking this question, but I had never given it much thought until recently. How far past the first belt loop on your pants (not on the belt itself) should a leather dress belt go? I recently bought an AE Manistee belt during the Nordstrom sale, and although the waist size of my pants is typically 32 inches, the size 34 leaves only about 0.75" of belt showing past my first belt loop (I also have to buckle it on the hole that is second-closest to the end of the belt). The size 36 leaves about 2.75" of belt past the belt loop, and buckles on the fourth hole (the hole that is second-furthest away from the end of the belt). Any advice on which size would be better to keep? I can take some pictures later if that helps, but was just wondering what "the rule" might be. The only rule I've been able to find online is that a belt should ideally buckle on the middle hole of a 5-hole belt, but I am unable to do that on either the size 34 or the size 36. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    what...what pants size are you? are you wearing your pants at your hips? what you're describing seems like it should be mathematically impossible. Buy one size larger than your pants and it should work.

Comment

I would personally keep the size 34 belt, but my preference is not to have much excess beyond the first belt loop. Going one size larger than your pants should typically yield the results you're looking for. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by evanc View Post
        The only rule I've been able to find online is that a belt should ideally buckle on the middle hole of a 5-hole belt, but I am unable to do that on either the size 34 or the size 36. Any advice would be much appreciated.
        Mine generally buckle in the 3rd. I'm a size 30 waist and buy size 32 belts. My advice for you? Assess which direction you expect your waist to expand. Gonna get bigger? Get the 36. Gonna get smaller? Get the 34.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
          what...what pants size are you? are you wearing your pants at your hips? what you're describing seems like it should be mathematically impossible. Buy one size larger than your pants and it should work.
          Not necessarily. Not all articles of mens' clothing are subject to the same degree of vanity sizing. Differing degrees of vanity sizing could account for the discrepancy between the expected and observed differences.
          Last edited by JPD Revised; August 6, 2015, 07:03 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Comment

You need a 35 inch belt as you should use the third hole, however you'll probably have to go custom to get it. For example, Badichibelts.com

It I had to choose, I'd pick 34 over 36. Too much excess makes you look like a teenager in hand-me-downs.
            Last edited by theplayerking; August 6, 2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

If your waist is a 32, a 36 AE belt is going to look pretty goofy. Almost an inch past the belt loop is right where you need to be. If you had like a 40 waist, and had more room on your waist for the excess belt to go, before it went off your body, into space, it would be different.

Comment

You could also get a cobbler to shorten the 36 inch.

Comment

Working...
                X