Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other car guys in here? Does your car match your style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am decidedly not car matches style guy. Other than a lust for a '68 Mustang fastback, I've never fallen in love with any car for more than a few weeks. Cars are a utility for me, and the one that costs me least while meeting my space needs is what wins. That doesn't mean I don't take care of my cars, quite the contrary as I do much of my own maintenance and repair work, and I keep it shined up and cleaned out. But style? Meh. I drive a 2009 Prius. It's white. I'll probably upgrade to a Prius wagon sometime in the next year or two on account of needing more space.

When gas prices get high, everybody tells me how smart I am. That's about the extent of it matching my style.

I could pretty easily go out and get something more "me", I guess. I'm just not sure what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
      As we talk about a kid, we discuss the need for a 4 door vehicle. I cannot stand SUVs, crossovers, god forbid minivans, as all of those vehicles are just not exciting to drive.
      Not only are they unexciting, but crossovers/SUVs offer little to no additional utility. In my experience, you don't need anything more than a sedan/wagon for one kid or two kids, though a compact may be tough to fit a backward-facing carseat into (depending on the rear leg room... try before you buy, as they say). Most SUVs/crossovers have surprisingly dumpy cargo areas, so unless you need the additional clearance or 4WD, there's no point to going that route.

You're really only locked into boring car territory if you have 3+ kids. At that point, it's minivan or bust, because three-row SUVs are a joke (sure, they have terrible mpg, a higher rolling risk, and a rougher ride, but at least you have to climb over the middle seats to put get in the back!). Any parents making the switch to zone defense know that their car of choice is the least of their lifestyle sacrifices, though, or at least they should.

I guess in that way, my minivan reflects my style better than my little compact commuter. Our minivan is like a monument to function over form: white exterior so stays cooler and it's less obvious if I was too busy to wash it that week, black fabric interior so it's not too hot/cold for the kids but hides spills we couldn't get all the way out, seats that fold flat into the floor so I can easily use it as a truck when need be, manual doors because power doors ALWAYS break and sometimes you need to be able to open your back doors without putting the vehicle in park... Yep, my wheels match up perfectly with my wardrobe of low-maintenance and versatile basics (wrinkle-resistant, machine-wash, white/navy/gray/brown, longevity over modernity, etc.).

(Having poked fun at my lifestyle, I feel like I have to add that the kids are the exciting part and more than make up for anything my wife and I sacrifice for them. 10/10 would sire again. But that's not the point of this thread.)

Comment

[MENTION=6632]AngusM[/MENTION] - With 3+ kids, I agree with where you are coming from. It really boils down to people saying, this "insert big car" is great with kids but in reality, you are just driving from point A to B without the need for all that extra space. If we need something bigger, we rent it. Truck for something? Rent or ask a friend, which is hardly ever. Long road trip and want extra space? Only got an SUV because we were upgraded. Upgrade is a bad word though because after we drove through rain the thing started shorting out and shocking us. It was a terrible last 2 hours of only touching the steering wheel as any radio or climate control would shock you.

Comment

[MENTION=6632]AngusM[/MENTION] The swagger wagon is the only answer to the 3+ child lifestyle. Love the comparison to the zone defense.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            [MENTION=6632]AngusM[/MENTION] - With 3+ kids, I agree with where you are coming from. It really boils down to people saying, this "insert big car" is great with kids but in reality, you are just driving from point A to B without the need for all that extra space. If we need something bigger, we rent it. Truck for something? Rent or ask a friend, which is hardly ever. Long road trip and want extra space? Only got an SUV because we were upgraded. Upgrade is a bad word though because after we drove through rain the thing started shorting out and shocking us. It was a terrible last 2 hours of only touching the steering wheel as any radio or climate control would shock you.
            Yep, I wish more people would realize, like you, that a kid or two really doesn't require a new, boring vehicle. Might as well save what cash and excitement you can, I say.

Speaking of renting, btw, even if you don't need the extra space for a road trip, it's not a bad idea to rent. We road-tripped through the Rockies when we only had one kid, and let's just say the winding roads and our toddler's stomach colluded in wreaking havoc on my sedan's interior (TMI?). Between the hassle of trying to save the interior on the fly and the detailing after the trip, it might've been worth the up-front cost to rent.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
              [MENTION=6632]AngusM[/MENTION]Love the comparison to the zone defense.
              Wish I could take credit, but it's not my brainchild. It is perfect, though.

Comment

I am huge car guy and do most of the work on them. I have 3 cars, and they are all very different. I choose one depending on my mood. The Porsche is my DD.

2012 Porsche Boxster S Black Edition

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

1966 Mustang GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
                  Current car(s): 2011 Camaro RS/SS, 2003 Saturn Ion (daily beater, got it for free pretty much)

Previous cars:

2007 Corvette Z51
                  2006 RSX Type-S
                  1996 Toyota Supra TT (in Japan)
                  1995 Skyline GTS-T (in Japan)
                  1991 Ford Explorer Sport

My next vehicle purchase is probably going to be one of those new Indian Scouts. But car-wise, I'd like to get myself into a C6 Z06 (I love Corvettes), or a Stingray.

Not sure if my cars really match my personality or image, but I'm a meatheady-looking, tattooed Asian, so yeah, I get some funny looks sometimes.
                  I've been looking to sell my C5Z and get into a C6 ZR1. They have taken a decent depreciation hit and can be bad at a decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by PREID View Post
                    Like Jeff P above, my current mode of transportation is the NYC subway system. I do still own my two other toys that never get driven. 09 WRB Sti and 89 Guards Red 930. It's safe to say I have a thing for flat engines and turbos. And if anything says "I like to peacock a little bit" it's a bright blue Subaru with gold wheels.
                    Pictures of 930?

Comment

Originally posted by XAMfed View Post
                      Pictures of 930?
                      Seconded.

Comment

Pictures of 930?

Ask and you shall receive

Comment

Originally posted by ronrob View Post
                          I am decidedly not car matches style guy. Other than a lust for a '68 Mustang fastback, I've never fallen in love with any car for more than a few weeks. Cars are a utility for me, and the one that costs me least while meeting my space needs is what wins. That doesn't mean I don't take care of my cars, quite the contrary as I do much of my own maintenance and repair work, and I keep it shined up and cleaned out. But style? Meh. I drive a 2009 Prius. It's white. I'll probably upgrade to a Prius wagon sometime in the next year or two on account of needing more space.

When gas prices get high, everybody tells me how smart I am. That's about the extent of it matching my style.

I could pretty easily go out and get something more "me", I guess. I'm just not sure what that is.
                          Man, at first I thought you said you HAD a '68 Fastback. I was going to be extremely jealous. I almost picked up a '69 Fastback for a project car that had a frankenstein engine/tranny combo in it, then thought better of it after I thought about how much money I was going to end up having to sink into it to make it mint. If I had to pick a DREAM car to have, it would be a '69 Boss 429. Perfection on wheels. And I'm not even a Ford guy.

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                          I've been looking to sell my C5Z and get into a C6 ZR1. They have taken a decent depreciation hit and can be bad at a decent price.
                          That would be a really sweet pick-up...and you're right, I didn't realize how much they could be had for nowadays. Crazy. Still out of my price-range unfortunately, since I'm prepping to go back to school (hooray for another mid-life career change). But a cursory search brought up a 2013 ZR1 w/~2k miles on it for $74.9k. That's a crazy steal for the amount of car you get on that. Then again, if I were actually in the market for another Vette and I was spending that much cash, I'd pick up a new Stingray probably...They're still rare enough on the road you don't see them all that often compared to C5/6's, they have a bit of that supercar look to them (without the price tag), and they actually have an interior that doesn't look like GM just decided to pick through the spare parts bins of all their other models and threw them together and said, "That's good enough."

If you ever pick one up, post pics. So I can be extremely jelly.

Comment

Originally posted by PREID View Post

Ask and you shall receive
                            Nice, are you in GA?

Comment

Nice, are you in GA?
                              From GA, live in NY.

Comment

I am huge car guy and do most of the work on them. I have 3 cars, and they are all very different. I choose one depending on my mood. The Porsche is my DD.

2012 Porsche Boxster S Black Edition

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

1966 Mustang GT Convertible
                                Excellent collection btw

Comment

Working...
                                X