Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other car guys in here? Does your car match your style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current car(s): 2011 Camaro RS/SS, 2003 Saturn Ion (daily beater, got it for free pretty much)

Previous cars:

2007 Corvette Z51
    2006 RSX Type-S
    1996 Toyota Supra TT (in Japan)
    1995 Skyline GTS-T (in Japan)
    1991 Ford Explorer Sport

My next vehicle purchase is probably going to be one of those new Indian Scouts. But car-wise, I'd like to get myself into a C6 Z06 (I love Corvettes), or a Stingray.

Not sure if my cars really match my personality or image, but I'm a meatheady-looking, tattooed Asian, so yeah, I get some funny looks sometimes.

Comment

Was, up until earlier this year, driving the same car for 16 years. 1990 Toyota Celica GT, liftback, in Mazdaspeed Red (metallic with very fine yellow flakes).

I figured it matched my style -- looks good without being flashy, sleek design and long-lasting quality. Had to give her up after someone ran into her and the cost of fixing her, plus the few thousand in maintenance needs she'd accumulated, meant it didn't make sense to keep her. Went from a Toyota to a Lexus, an IS 300 in Spectra Blue Mica. Still have the long-lasting quality, but a bit of an upgrade in materials (reflecting my clothing evolution) and cost.

Comment

Not a car guy at all. Currently driving the same Ford Focus I've owned for the past 10 years. Before that I drove a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, a hand-me-down from my grandma. Looking at buying something with AWD, maybe a CR-V or some kind of Subaru....

My mom is the only "car guy" in our family, she drives an Audi A5 Quattro convertible and her "fun" car (i.e. bottomless money pit) is a '57 T-Bird hardtop convertible.
        Ben

Comment

I think my AEs look best hanging out of my Jeep Wrangler with the doors removed. Definitely matches my style.

Comment

My style is "I don't try to blend in."
            My car is a red mini cooper. It definitely matches my obsession with donning a pocket square everyday.

Comment

Yes. I'm a car guy but I currently don't have anything special. I'm driving an '86 Toyota Pickup with 300k miles and no A/C that I bought for $500 from my dad's company. This is my "uniform" this summer, working a warehouse job and going to school. I've also got a 1956 Willys Wagon that I'm fixing up for camping road trips.

But I'm actively looking for a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth or a '96 Corvette with the 6 speed manual.

Comment

Interesting thread, and sweet cars. Although I prefer the look of the M3 coupe vs the convertible. Big fan of the E46 M3, prefer it's blend of looks/performance over almost all the newer models.

I'm a car guy... was previously in a 2004 Nissan 350Z 6spd, and a 2003 Audi A4 prior to that. Currently drive a 2002 bug eye Subaru WRX, 5spd. Great blend of performance and reliability. Plus it only has 80k miles. Importantly, it is AWD, which I like here in the Midwest. The turbo is fun...but it's bright blue, has gold wheels and a large muffler (all from the previous owner -- got a great deal on it). I don't think it matches my personal style at all. I dress business casual, and work at a hospital as a resident physician.

Wife wishes I had a more "mature car" and maybe someday I'll upgrade it to something a little less The Fast and The Furious.

Comment

I have honda civic not exactly my style, thinking of buying BMW 5 series
                  Eat what is good for your health but
                  Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

My car doesn't match me at all but it did at one point when I was into the vw scene. 2007 vw rabbit w/ air suspension, wheels, kit, etc.

My toy is a 1982 kawasaki kz750 I put together in my grandparents garage before I was a homeowner. Not sure I'll ever sell this one.

My fiance and I want new cars but neither of us have a payment which gives us a ton of financial flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      Not a car guy at all. Currently driving the same Ford Focus I've owned for the past 10 years. Before that I drove a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, a hand-me-down from my grandma. Looking at buying something with AWD, maybe a CR-V or some kind of Subaru....

My mom is the only "car guy" in our family, she drives an Audi A5 Quattro convertible and her "fun" car (i.e. bottomless money pit) is a '57 T-Bird hardtop convertible.
                      Subaru! Dooooo the Subaru!!

Comment

Not a car guy. My first car most definitely fit my style. 1994 Honda Civic. Bought it when I getting out of university. Was a damn good car. Reliable. Fast (when needed) and perfect for how I was living my life at the time.

I now drive a Subaru Outback. A car I'm learning to love and doesn't quite fit my lifestyle of suit wearing/office working. Especially considering the Outback markets itself to outdoor adventure types. I mean I bought the car because I was doing a lot of rock climbing and kayaking at the time. Those days are behind me now but I'm still driving a car that reflects those activities.

Might be time to look in to something else. But what? And cars are so damn expensive too.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                          I'm still driving the 2002 Toyota 4Runner my Dad gave me while I was in college... in 2005.

So, it is an extension of my style in that it is old. Unfortunately nobody thinks of old 4Runners as a vintage conversation piece. Which is a shame because by all accounts (including my own) these things are freaking tanks. I took it to the shop last month and found the spark plugs had gone out. When were they last changed? Oh, never. How long should they have lasted? 3-6 years. That is like a pair of Stafford shoes going the distance with a pair of AE's, in my book.
                          Toyota's are great because of this. I sold the Tacoma (sad face) that I owned since I was 16 this year.

End of an Era by Peter Sims, on Flickr

Bought a used 2012 4Runner to replace it (happy face). The 4Runner is awesome, though not quite as practical for field work. Not a huge deal since I don't do as much field work as I used to.

Untitled by Peter Sims, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                            Toyota's are great because of this. I sold the Tacoma (sad face) that I owned since I was 16 this year.

End of an Era by Peter Sims, on Flickr

Bought a used 2012 4Runner to replace it (happy face). The 4Runner is awesome, though not quite as practical for field work. Not a huge deal since I don't do as much field work as I used to.

Great photos. Love the backdrop in the Tacoma pic.

Comment

1996 BMW 328i, 104k miles, runs like a dream. I've had it for 8 years, however I'm looking to switch over to an SUV as I'm getting tired of being so low to the ground and scraping my bumper on every raised surface in town.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                Not a car guy. My first car most definitely fit my style. 1994 Honda Civic. Bought it when I getting out of university. Was a damn good car. Reliable. Fast (when needed) and perfect for how I was living my life at the time.

I now drive a Subaru Outback. A car I'm learning to love and doesn't quite fit my lifestyle of suit wearing/office working. Especially considering the Outback markets itself to outdoor adventure types. I mean I bought the car because I was doing a lot of rock climbing and kayaking at the time. Those days are behind me now but I'm still driving a car that reflects those activities.

Might be time to look in to something else. But what? And cars are so damn expensive too.
                                I guess it depends where you live, being in Chattanooga TN people love being outdoorsy even if they aren't. In the land of Patagonia and North Face everywhere, there are plenty of lawyers, financial advisors etc driving Outbacks. Lots of suits in those things.

Comment

Working...
                                X