Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on horizontal stripe shirts

Gents,

While surfing the interwebs I came across this photo (below). The outfit for the week contained a horizontal striped shirt. Now I have always wanted to wear such a beast, but never gotten around to it. I don't know what to pair it with, and how to wear it. How about you guys? What are you opinions on horizontal stripe shirts? Do you wear them? Are they easy to match with your wardrobe?

Photo of a gent wearing a striped shirt

Last edited by DocDave; July 3, 2015, 12:16 PM. Reason: added a second photo

I wanna try this below but of course with a navy blazer, long pants and all that grown-up attire. I don't want to stain my jacket collar so at least it's gotta be a polo.

Comment

Horizontal stripes, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpH73ZIOyS0

Comment

They look fine for casual shirts like the ones pictured IMO. I have a kind of green and taupe earth-tone long sleeve one that I can wear alone if going really casual, or I've worn it under a brown herringbone sport coat with dark jeans too if that's your look. I don't wear it much, but it serves its purpose. I guess if I'm going that casual, I usually prefer a solid henley or V-neck T-shirt, but I think it looks fine.

Comment

My opinion is that they'll be "out" soon, and we won't see many of them... which I'm fine with. Not a fan.

Comment

According to my wife I subconsciously gravitate towards horizontal stripes when I'm shopping. I am a slimmer guy and they work on me, I also find them easy to match as long as there are no other stripes or patterns in the wardrobe. But I would only wear them in a t-shirt, the dress shirt would have to look really good for me to wear a horizontal striped shirt with a suit. For example, I would never wear this:

But if it was a light color and a lot more subtle I would consider it. I saw a light yellow horizontal striped shirt on a white background and I loved it, I just can't find the picture again.
            Men's Suit company ft/ a monthly essentials box with a complimenting shirt, tie, & pocketsquare
            Instagram: @CarderoClothing --- Twitter: @CarderoClothing

Comment

Oops... I just saw the photos. I was assuming that we were talking about button up shirts. Since we aren't, I'll throw my full endorsement at it. Love horizontals in tees, henlys, and polos. I just can't get on boat with button ups in this pattern.

Comment

[MENTION=14223]CarderoClothing[/MENTION] that's like looking at a test pattern on a TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                  Love horizontals in tees, henlys, and polos. I just can't get on boat with button ups in this pattern.
                  Preach. I feel the same way about printed patterns, too (with the exception of extremely casual short sleeve button ups, prob because they all seem like variations on the classic Hawaiian shirt).

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    [MENTION=14223]CarderoClothing[/MENTION] that's like looking at a test pattern on a TV.
                    I agree! Which is why most of my t-shirt patterns are thicker lines or only covering part of the shirt, the last thing I want is to give headaches to anyone I am talking to or God forbid they try to find the knobs to turn it down.
                    Men's Suit company ft/ a monthly essentials box with a complimenting shirt, tie, & pocketsquare
                    Instagram: @CarderoClothing --- Twitter: @CarderoClothing

Comment

I just bought this shirt at Old Navy. It surprised me how much I like it. I really like Horizontal Stripes in casual shirts of all kinds, but not in dress shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                        Love horizontals in tees, henlys, and polos. I just can't get on boat with button ups in this pattern.
                        Agree on the need for any horizontal stripes to be on a casual shirt, though I'm willing to go a little further and wear blocky stripes on a short-sleeve sport shirt.

For whatever reason, golf shirts are commonly striped horizontally.

Stronger stripes across the shoulders and upper chest work, getting finer as you move down. Then you benefit from the visual broadening effect in the right places
                        Last edited by Galcobar; July 4, 2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

This is why I like the micro pattern trend - it allows for a patterned short with no headache! I wear them in tees, polos and very casual shirts but that would be it.

Comment

Hmm. I'm thinking that if I can get/find a think horizontal striped casual shirt (like a T or a long sleeve for example) I might pick one up. Who knows? Might open up a new fashion avenue for me.

Comment

My favorite polo shirts have become the Luxe-Touch Jaspe Stripe Polos, in sky blue and navy, from Banana Republic that frequent the Dappered.com main site.

Comment

Working...
                              X