Do you guys wear ties casually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys wear ties casually?

It took awhile for me to get use to wearing a blazer/sportcoat casually but now it's second nature. However, I sometimes think my look would be more complete with a tie. But would this make is business casual rather than just casual tho?

I think there are situations where it looks great, but I haven't started doing it. My sartorial journey is young, yet.

Comment

Depends on the tie pattern and width. Can def be done.

Comment

Also depends on the material. Cotton ties in spring and summer and wool ties in fall and winter are inherently casual. Also, I've learned I'm just not a skinny tie fan. Maybe they're trendy, but I own a few and hardly ever wear them unless they're hidden under a v-neck sweater (which by the way, is a great way to wear a tie casually even though that season is passing).

Comment

I wear ties casually a good bit actually. I like the extra pattern, and depth that you are able to get with the right tie. I tend to go with a slimmer tie then most it seems because I'm a thin guy and believe it just looks better on me. My sweet spot is around 2.25"-2.50" width.

I really like being seasonal too. I only have 1-2 100% silk ties. Everything else is either, cotten, linen, or wool.

Comment

Don't get hung up on Casual vs. dressed up. Its one thing to be a baggy jeans and 3XL t-shirt guy and then randomly decide to sport slim fit slacks, slim fit button up, sports coat, 400$+ dress shoes and a slim tie (that brings perfect cohesion to the outfit)..."casually". You will feel awkward and everyone will pick up on it.

It's another thing entirely to be somewhat sartorially ept, sporting a nice button up with a nice sports jacket every day and then on occasion throwing on a tie because it makes the outfit better. You will wear it with confidence and everyone will pick up on that, and people that know you will likely not even do a double take cause this is how you always dress. A slim piece of silk dangling from your neck is not going to throw them off.

Comment

I totally agree with the point about alternative fabrics. Wool in the winter, and cotton and linen in the summer (I love my seersucker tie) make far better casual choices.

As for the width, I'm not really a fan of skinny ties, my preference is 3".

Check out The Tie Bar and The Knottery for some cool casual ties.

Comment

Working...
              X