Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Wedding Suit >$750

Hey guys:

I've recently only had 1 suit, a JCF Thompson Chino in navy. It suited me fine for my 3-4 times a year I'd wear a suit, however, it recently tore in the pants pretty bad and I had to return it. I am obviously in need of a new suit, and I also have a wedding coming up in a few weeks. Could someone recommend to me a suit to purchase for under $750? I am 6 foot, about 210 lbs athletic build. I have looked into the Ludlow, Crosby, and Suit Supply options. I am unsure of what fit to buy as well as fabric (is wool a bad idea for summer?) Thanks for all your help.

Your budget will get you quite a lot of suit, really.

This one comes to mind: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzge...s=21&cgid=0216

Comment

http://dappered.com/2015/04/style-sc...ng-dressed-up/

http://dappered.com/2015/04/style-sc...ut-not-stuffy/

http://dappered.com/2015/05/crosby-s...thurs-handful/

Tons of options within your budget. In your position, I would lean towards something in the light grey ballpark. If you're only wearing a suit 3-4 times a year, I'd focus on something that would get more use than just the one wedding wear. I would think the suit supply suit from the first link would likely get a lot of use.

Wool isn't bad for the summer, per se. And your "summer fabrics" won't get much use the rest of the year.

Comment

Thanks guys! Really appreciate those options. I definitely like the Fitzgerald option. Anyone have any other input?

Comment

This is a really broad question, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I recently stumbled across a Suitsupply suit that was incredibly appealing to me. It is on the casual end of things with patch pockets and fairly light buttons, but it has some things going for it, in my book.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_IE/suits...l?vpid=P420404

It seems to be a nice lightweight material.
          It is completely unlined.
          The jacket can be worn as a sportcoat.
          You can cross seasons with a little layering (if it doesn't get too cold).

By the way, 1/2-1/4 lined, tropical weight wool is the best possible fabric in my book. I don't need warmth ever where I live. So unlined/tropical wool keeps me from buying linen suits and then wool suits. Linen doesn't look right in the winter. Just my thoughts.

Comment

that suit definitey checks a lot of the right boxes. I like the lightweight wool as opposed to linen and I'm a big an of that color, increased versatility beyond summer/beach wedding.

Comment

Honestly at that price, you could probably go made to measure. Where are you located? You might be able to find a quality made to measure location in your area. It's your wedding suit, might as well look the best!

Comment

Don't know if you'll get a good MTM in your area but you could do CMT w/ Kent Wang or somebody (you buy the fabric, KW makes the suit) probably at that price which would give you a lot more control.

I'd recommend looking on Yoox, No Man Walks Alone (may still be out of your price range) and eHaberdasher for something fully-canvassed, perhaps by Sartoria Cantarelli, Caruso/MaCo, Eidos, Sartoria Formosa, etc.

Comment

Thanks guys! It's not my wedding, and it's coming up pretty soon so I was hoping to get something quick. Don't really wanna get a made to measure suit. I'm fine getting something under 750 because I could use some dress shirts as well

Comment

It seems like the Brooks Brothers suit was my best recommendation so far. Does anyone know the differences between the Fitzgerald/Regent fits? Also, would this be better than a suit supply suit? Can anyone recommend a specific suit supply suit? I'm probably going to go with something Navy for versatility. I see a lot of options for the Napoli in navy or blue on the site at a bunch of different price points, it's all a little confusing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMehall View Post
                      Thanks guys! It's not my wedding, and it's coming up pretty soon so I was hoping to get something quick. Don't really wanna get a made to measure suit. I'm fine getting something under 750 because I could use some dress shirts as well
                      I think you'd do well with a $400-$500 SuitSupply option in light grey. The Napoli model comes to mind. Accounting for shipping and a visit to your local tailor, we're talking as soon as ten days from "Click to Place Order" to your closet. With the balance, you could pick up a couple of shirts and tuck the rest away as spending money on your buddy's wedding day (afternoon meal? tipping the bartender? pick up a few 'stogies for you and a couple friends?).

Since you wear suits on a limited basis, I would advise against getting too carried away with the "summer" fabric idea. A standard/three season weight high quality wool suit isn't going to suffocate you in your own skin just because it's summer. YMMV but I for one would rather have a suit I can turn to in October-March (under a proper overcoat of course) than a $750 piece I'd have to stow away after the Labor Day BBQ smoke clears. If you thoroughly insist on a seersucker/cotton/chino suit, at least consider some of the more budget friendly options available (JCF/J Crew on sale, Bonobos on sale, etc.).

If, of course, you're rolling about town with Bill Gates-like money in your checking account, then by all means, ignore my advice and knock yourself out

Comment

Thank you. I agree with all your points, and I'm looking into a navy suitsupply napoli. I actually have a seersucker suit from bonobos, however, id prefer something less flashy.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                        X