Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grailed listing omission - am I overreacting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in my experience of selling and buying clothes off of ebay, it never mattered whether or not theres a mark on the tag or box. you have to take it with a grain of salt - someone is clearly either reselling them or they got them off cheap. as people have already mentioned in the post, marks could mean various of things. for instance, i bought Chrome Industry shoes for $10 at REI (they retail for $60-$120) and the box had a huge X on it. i was told that it means its FINAL SALE. its like buying cds back in the day where stores drill holes onto the back of the disc.

Comment

I really don't understand the problem. I've bought plenty of items off eBay where the tag was X'ed out to indicate the item was, for one reason or another, not returnable to the original retailer. I've even bought pre-owned L.L. Bean brand watches with Xs engraved into the caseback to prevent false returns. As long as the item lived up to its general description (NWOT, gently used, heavily used, etc.), the presence or absence of an X was irrelevant.

You haven't said what you actually bought, but I'm assuming it's a jacket or something similar. We are talking about an item of clothing, not something with complex, hidden structural or mechanical components like a house or a car. If your concern is that the jacket is defective, a careful visual inspection will reveal the defect. If the item is defective, then you should be entitled to return it for a full refund. If a careful inspection does not reveal any issues, then I don't know how or why you would think the X means there is some secret hidden flaw that the seller knew about but is somehow undetectable to you. It's a little hysterical to conflate an X'ed out tag with actual wear-and-tear or defects like "discolorations, little holes and loose seams."

You comment that you don't want people to see the X on the tag if you take the item off. Maybe there's a way to put this more kindly, but frankly if you are really that worried about people thinking that you buy pre-owned clothes, maybe buying pre-owned clothes is not for you. Or you need a new social circle, or something.
      Ben

Comment

Well, as I said in the OP, and again I'm not sure about this, the fit seems to me to be different from other items in the same fit from this brand. I just tried something on at the store a couple weeks ago and it fit very differently. So to be clear, since the issue is being pressed, the crossed out tag does make me more suspicious that it was discarded because it didn't meet the specifications of fit. Again, I can't know, but again, I wasn't given the chance to weigh that risk.

As for people seeing it, look: if I'd had a chance to consider whether I was OK with having the crossed out tag and was now complaining, I'd see your point. But for the dozenth time, the fact was withheld. I've bought plenty of used clothes and this is the first time I've bought something where the X wasn't mentioned. I've bought such items--usually pants or shirts--and not cared about the X. This is a blazer, so it doesn't require an unusual lifestyle for it to come off in public. I work in a field with a near-medieval hierarchy in which I'm young enough to be mistaken for a complete newcomer (i.e. to be ignored), so I have a mild preference that, if I'm out to lunch with a "professional superior," they not see something like this. So for those curious about peering deep into the psychology behind my preferences, which seems to me kind of irrelevant to whether the item was wrongly misrepresented, there you go.

Comment

Holy smokes y'all.

OP: It doesn't fit you, if the measurements are off then you can see if the seller will accept a return. You may have to pay shipping costs. Or you can sell it. If you didn't ask for measurements, tough. I can understand given your field you want to keep up appearances but I am pretty certain that how you act and how you perform at your job will speak more loudly than glimpses of an 'X.' If anybody asks you can say you purchased the item at a Sample Sale or employees-only discount, but unless you act like a complete newcomer I'd be surprised if anybody reads that deeply into it. Source: I too work in a field w/ a near-medieval hierarchy.

Comment

The thread title asks if you're overreacting. I think many here would say that yes, OP, you are overreacting about the X'd out tag because the X'd out tag could be for any number of legitimate reasons, some of which could require disclosure by the seller and others that are more benign in nature. In light of this, what you are left with is the following: Visually inspect the garment. If there are defects, press the seller for a return. If there are no defects and it fits, wear it well because I'm not sure a seller would or should be required to mention the X'd out tag on an otherwise defect-free item (though I certainly understand why it bugs you). If there are no defects and it does not fit well, you've gotta eat it, even if the fit is "off" compared to other items from that brand marked the same size. There is enough evidence out there to suggest sizing inconsistencies are real, even within the same brand. I have jackets from JCrew in size 44 that fit like other JCrew jackets in size 42. I've tried on 42s that fit like 40s and 40s that fit like 42s. The science here is inexact, and such is the gamble you take buying online without the ability to try things on or to engage a hassle-free returns process—it's frustrating but it happens.

As far as the impression the X'd out tag might leave with colleagues, if the fit is off but not so off that it doesn't fit, is there a way for you to remove the tag using a seam ripper or another appropriate tool? Presumably the tag is sewn on, and what's been sewn on should be able to be removed. I doubt anyone would notice the absence of a tag, and if they would, jeez do I think you need to look for a new job.

Comment

100% just a way to prevent returns. This is also done at outlet and seconds stores.

Comment

It is also done frequently on items bought with employee discounts.

Comment

Working...
                X