Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grailed listing omission - am I overreacting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grailed listing omission - am I overreacting?

I just received an item I purchased on grailed, and the seller omitted the fact that the tag has been crossed through with black marker. In fact, he positioned another tag in the photos to obscure the fact that there was an X on the brand tag. There's no other mention of this in the listing. As I understand it, that X could mean simply that there was overstock and the item was sold to a lower tier department store, or that it is defective. (The item also doesn't fit like anything else I've tried on in this fit and size from the brand, though these things of course vary.) I hate to say this, but I'd be self-conscious about someone seeing that tag if I took the thing off around people.

My initial reaction is to be kind of furious, and demand a refund. Is that an overreaction?

As per my understanding, that is done by the seller so the item can't be returned to store.

Comment

Right, and there's some underlying reason that they don't want it returned, like, possibly, a defect.

Comment

Originally posted by deducou View Post
        Right, and there's some underlying reason that they don't want it returned, like, possibly, a defect.
        its so you cant scam the store, return it and profit from his sellings. paranoid much?

Comment

This may be a strictly regional thing, but in this neck of the woods thrift stores do that to LL Bean merchandise as a courtesy to the retailer. They have a no questions asked return policy, and always give full value for returns, so they stand to lose a lot of money to people who pick up their stuff for three bucks and return it for $50-$100. It could mean they thrifted it, or as mentioned above, got it from a third party retailer because it was an overstock or defective.

If it doesn't show any defects and doesn't smell like a Goodwill, I'd say keep it if you got a decent deal on it over retail. But if there is a rating system on the site (I'm not familiar with it at all), I'd say blast them in the rating. It may not effect the deal you got, but it's still pretty underhanded.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
            its so you cant scam the store, return it and profit from his sellings. paranoid much?
            Paranoid? Yes - a crossed out label may just be a way for a store to prevent returns, but it can mean several other things related to the quality of the garment. The Grailed seller purposely covered the label in the photos and didn't bother to mention it's existence. This is deceitful, and I wouldn't be happy as a buyer.

Comment

Yes. I think Scofield is conflating the reason for having a practice of crossing out labels and the reason for a particular garment having its label crossed out. It's because the latter could involve reasons that would make me not want the garment that I object to having the label hidden in the listing.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Comment

It could also be a dealer/manufacturer sample. I've had that happen before with a pair of jCrew loafers and a North Face ski jacket I've purchased on eBay. However, both were in brand new condition. Check the item to see if it is flawed in any conceivable fashion. Then, if you still feel inclined (and I definitely would) leave appropriate feedback.

Comment

Fyi- use some rubbing alcohol or dish soap on the label/tag and it can almost entirely remove it. If you are self conscious about it, that is.

Comment

Comment

If you like it, keep it. While perplexing, if the item is of good quality and fit and free of blemishes, the crossed out label means very little. Re-read the listing and make sure it is as described, and then enjoy it, or send it back.

Comment

To be entirely honest, if you're that particular about your clothes (i.e. a crossed out tag is going to bother you...) you probably shouldn't be shopping on Grailed.

Comment

Are your friends checking out your tags and judging you based on it? If so you probably need to get new friends. If that's your reason for being upset, you've got issues.

Now I would be upset about the seller trying to deceive me and purposely hide the tag. It's the principle of the thing more than anything else. I can't stand dishonest people and this reeks of it (if it is as you described).

Also not sure what grailed is but it sounds like I'm not missing much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                            To be entirely honest, if you're that particular about your clothes (i.e. a crossed out tag is going to bother you...) you probably shouldn't be shopping on Grailed.
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                              I get where you're coming from. But there's a difference between normal signs of use that you'd expect from used clothing--which you should be willing to tolerate if you're buying used stuff--and something like this. Pilling and loss of like new crispness is to be expected without being told. Crossed out tags, discolorations, little holes and loose seams are usually described explicitly in the listings for used clothing, or revealed very clearly in pictures. On ebay it's pretty common for the crossed out tag thing to be noted in the title of the listing.

Comment

Working...
                              X