Slim / Skinny Shorts Discussion & Comparison Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slim / Skinny Shorts Discussion & Comparison Thread

This thread is for discussing, and comparing slim and skinny fitting shorts.

Before we even start, let's go ahead and get this out of the way:
    "**Generic chicken-legs joke** just do some squats!"
    Got it. Will do. Moving on.

Plenty of us have found out the hard way just how bad shorts tend to look when they have too much extra room. Unfortunately, slim fitting shorts aren't nearly as abundant (or truly slim) as slim fit pants. To compound the issue, shorts tend to be even less forgiving than pants that have some extra room (at least with pants the cuff plays is sitting at ground level where it might even drape onto your shoe, instead of flapping in the wind around thigh level.) So let's discuss our options, shall we?
    My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

tailor..?

Comment

I'll start:
      Banana Republic Aiden Slim fit shorts (chino material... not sure if the other materials are the same) work almost perfectly on me. I've been trying to find shorts that fit similarly ever since trying them (unsuccessfully thus far.) They sport a just-under-10" inseam, and have a slim fit throughout - more than any other place I've tried, including JCrew, JCF, H&M, GAP, Old Navy, Brooks Brothers, JCPenney, and probably one or two I'm forgetting. Having said that, I have not tried many of these alternatives in a year, so perhaps something has changed. In any case, I'd be much obliged if anyone has been able to find shorts that fit almost identically to BR Aidens.
      My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
        tailor..?
        Have you had experience with doing this? I'd be a bit more concerned about fussing with the width of the legs higher up - seems like it's probably easier to throw off the balance. With pants, "slimming up" usually seems to be done from the knee down. Obviously that would not be the case here.

Also, the purpose of this thread is to identify and discuss shorts that fit off the rack (or close to it.) Tailoring should be a backup plan, not a first choice.

Comment

If you can get past the strong cologne smell and loud music, Abercrombie has actually decent shorts in their "Preppy fit". I believe they have a couple of different inseam lengths on those as well. I also got a couple of short inseam swim shorts on their clearance sale this weekend as well- at $20 per, they fit and feel as much higher priced shorts I saw at Nordstrom (not to mention any names).
          Express used to carry their "Photographer Fit" in their shorts line as well, but I think they don't make them anymore. I own a couple and they fit great.

Comment

Originally posted by sierra.alpha View Post
            If you can get past the strong cologne smell and loud music, Abercrombie has actually decent shorts in their "Preppy fit". I believe they have a couple of different inseam lengths on those as well. I also got a couple of short inseam swim shorts on their clearance sale this weekend as well- at $20 per, they fit and feel as much higher priced shorts I saw at
            I recall looking at the A&F shorts not that long ago during some sale. My impression was that they're all distressed to the point of fraying on the hems (or close to it.) Is that accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by diversification View Post
              I recall looking at the A&F shorts not that long ago during some sale. My impression was that they're all distressed to the point of fraying on the hems (or close to it.) Is that accurate?
              I would say yes, the chino shorts do have that distressed hemline, however the twill/cotton ones look normal, and you can dress them up or down just fine. I own a couple of those, but they are last years line.

Comment

Originally posted by sierra.alpha View Post
                I would say yes, the chino shorts do have that distressed hemline, however the twill/cotton ones look normal, and you can dress them up or down just fine. I own a couple of those, but they are last years line.
                Nice, I'll have to look into the twill ones. Do you happen to know how the fit compares to BR Aidens?

Comment

Nice, I'll have to look into the twill ones. Do you happen to know how the fit compares to BR Aidens?
                  Sorry, I am no help there. I own 2 pairs of Aiden regular chinos, but no shorts.
                  I own 2 Express Photographer fit, 2 A&F Preppy, and 4 JCrew Stanton shorts, all with 7-9 inch inseams.

Comment

bonobos

This thread is for discussing, and comparing slim and skinny fitting shorts.

Before we even start, let's go ahead and get this out of the way:
                    "**Generic chicken-legs joke** just do some squats!"
                    Got it. Will do. Moving on.

Plenty of us have found out the hard way just how bad shorts tend to look when they have too much extra room. Unfortunately, slim fitting shorts aren't nearly as abundant (or truly slim) as slim fit pants. To compound the issue, shorts tend to be even less forgiving than pants that have some extra room (at least with pants the cuff plays is sitting at ground level where it might even drape onto your shoe, instead of flapping in the wind around thigh level.) So let's discuss our options, shall we?
                    Bonobos 9" chino shorts have the perfect slim fit and the perfect inseam above the knee. 7" will probably be better for my height but I can't do it, I have chicken legs. They are my favorite shorts. I don't like wearing shorts but the heat of Houston kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by chiconice View Post
                      Bonobos 9" chino shorts have the perfect slim fit and the perfect inseam above the knee. 7" will probably be better for my height but I can't do it, I have chicken legs. They are my favorite shorts. I don't like wearing shorts but the heat of Houston kill me.
                      Very interesting. Would you be willing to take a few measurements? I just measured the BR Aiden shorts in case anyone is interested. Here's the album: the waist is 32.

And yes, for the more observant, the crotch is stained - thinking about either trying to just bleach them or dye them navy, but I'm not really sure it's worth my time. (The how-it-happened is unfortunately quite mundane.)

Comment

What measurements are you looking for? Bonobos has the ninga hotline, theyprobably give you better details and also I have the chino B' Knees, they are not available anymore. I'm 5'7 147 pounds size 30 waist and unfortunately with chicken legs

Comment

J Crew Staunton shorts are pretty great too. I like the 7" ones. I have them in navy linen and chino and wear both constantly in the summer/spring. I'm like 6' 180 with a 33 in waist and chicken legs and they definitely don't billow or anything.

Comment

If yu're looking for something less spendy, the Banana Republic Factory "City Short" has a nice slim fit. I haven't tried the Aiden short, but do wear and love a paper of the Chinos. The City Short is marginally wider than the Aiden through the thigh. Very marginally.

I also just picked up a couple of pairs of Uniqlo Chino shorts and really like the fit. The sizing is annoying (Small is labeled 27-30), but in most major brands a 29 inch waist is too tight on me and a 30 is just a shade too loose, and the small fits perfectly. The colors are great too. I've got a pale yellow and a kind of faded Nantucket red.
                            Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                            Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                            --Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                            X