Building a Wardrobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Wardrobe

Ok folks I need help/opinions. I am starting a new position on 10 July as the Director of Development at the military boarding school I went to. For the past 6 months I've been in a business casual workplace with a HEAVY lean towards the casual side(most guys in polos and khakis) before that I wore dress shirts and ties but never jackets or suits.
    Dress code is sport coat or suit every day with tie. It is a pretty conservative environment. Most instructors wear khakis and the school blazer but I am the "face of the Academy" when asking for partnerships or donations so I want to look presentable.

I'm fine with shirts, ties, overcoats, raincoats and shoes but I am concerned about suits/sport coats. I currently own the following:
    Med weight Wool Charcoal Thin Pinstripe 2 button
    Med weight Wool Navy Solid 2 button
    Light weight wool Navy Blazer 2 button
    Light weight cotton Tan sport coat 2 button

My thought is to work towards a 7 suit and 4 sport coat wardrobe.

I lean towards the following(in order)
    1. Med Grey Solid wool suit
    2. Earth tone pattern wool suit
    3. Grey herringbone sport coat
    4. Tan/brown wool sport coat
    5. Charcoal Solid suit
    6. Navy pattern suit
    7. Navy or Tan linen suit

Any thoughts would be great..Thanks in advance

Where in the cost spectrum are you looking to buy? If not going low-end, I would buy a fresco wool suit instead of a linen suit for really hot days. It would look better and be as cool.

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
      Where in the cost spectrum are you looking to buy? If not going low-end, I would buy a fresco wool suit instead of a linen suit for really hot days. It would look better and be as cool.
      I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm sure Frank might like this info, too. Where do you get fresco/tropical weight wool suits [MENTION=12713]winghus[/MENTION]?

Comment

Your list is pretty exhaustive already. I would get a wool suit in medium blue.

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
          I'm going to probably buy one a month so $400-600 ish

Comment

What suit makers are you looking at in that price range out of curiosity?

Comment

Isn't the suit essentially a uniform? You add variety by switching up the shirts, ties, and accessories. You can even add more pops of color just by wearing colored sweaters/cardigans under your jacket. 2 suits and 2 sport coats are more than enough.

Comment

It's not an easy thing to find. One reason I asked about budget is because to get actual fresco, you generally have to have MTO or bespoke or pay similar prices like this at Mr. Porter

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/r...ol-suit/494731

At the other end of the spectrum is a wool-cotton blend Ludlow (scroll down for the pants) and even then you're talking about $550:

https://www.jcrew.com/browse/multi_p...&bmUID=kU9u_j3

In the even lower end you're probably stuck with a linen blend of some type. 100% linen that's thick enough to not wrinkle badly within the first 5 minutes is rare and expensive. I have a 51/49 linen-cotton blend pair of pants that's really cool and doesn't wrinkle too much. I also have a couple pair of that really thin linen that feels great and looks like crap about 5 minutes after you leave the house.

Edit add-on:
                I forgot places like Suit Supply and Brooks but they're in your price range, at least sale price BB is and SS is always in that range. They have summer weight wool suits also. The Brooks Bros Brookscool suit mentioned in another thread is on sale now but sizing is pretty limited in the various cuts.

Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm sure Frank might like this info, too. Where do you get fresco/tropical weight wool suits [MENTION=12713]winghus[/MENTION]?
                Last edited by winghus; June 24, 2015, 04:29 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

I would add to check out Spier and MacKay. I just found out about them about 6 months ago, and now I buy nearly everything from them. You can get a half-canvassed suit for $425 CAD. (the site is priced in CAD, so when you covert to USD, you get a 20% discount). I have found the quality to be on par with Suit Supply.

Comment

guys! i found this great book in my house that someone from sweden published a couple of years ago on this very subject. this is a book about how you should build a wardrobe.

Comment

Originally posted by CMAc7 View Post
                      I would add to check out Spier and MacKay.
                      +1. I think they may be the best value available right now, particularly for folks like most of us on this forum who are not looking to drop $1500 on a Formosa suit and talk about how great of a deal they got.

Comment

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
                        Isn't the suit essentially a uniform? You add variety by switching up the shirts, ties, and accessories. You can even add more pops of color just by wearing colored sweaters/cardigans under your jacket. 2 suits and 2 sport coats are more than enough.

2 suits and 2 sport coats is certainly not "enough" if you have to wear a suit/sport coat every day. You'd wear them out in a year or two, especially at a lower price point. Source: the navy worsted suit I bought from JCF is showing that it's been worn ~100 times over the last 18 months or so. Ditto with similar suits at similar price points.
                        --

I'm here mostly to keep my mouth shut and learn a thing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                          guys! i found this great book in my house that someone from sweden published a couple of years ago on this very subject. this is a book about how you should build a wardrobe.

This is a legendary post.
                          Give this man all the points

Comment

Originally posted by vespertiliovir View Post
                            +1. I think they may be the best value available right now, particularly for folks like most of us on this forum who are not looking to drop $1500 on a Formosa suit and talk about how great of a deal they got.
                            That said, a Formosa suit is a great deal at $1500 Huge fan of Spier & Mackay though

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                              That said, a Formosa suit is a great deal at $1500
                              Totally, if you happen to have the $1500 lying around. If I did, I would buy nothing but Formosa, Ring, and Eidos.

Comment

Working...
                              X