Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shomas
    replied
    And the winner is... [MENTION=14117]Billax[/MENTION]! Well played, sir. Congrats and please post a new challenge theme asap.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Last bump for votes!

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Bump for votes!

Leave a comment:

• AFCForever
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    Thanks guys. They clearly take after their mom on that score.
    Good on you Shomas - I wear a jacket to every recital my daughter does (she is 10 now) and she really appreciates it. Keep it up, the girls care that you think it is a big occasion.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by madmanSCDP View Post
    Your girls are freakin' adorable.
    Thanks guys. They clearly take after their mom on that score.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    Originally posted by madmanSCDP View Post
    agreed!!

Leave a comment:

• madmanSCDP
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    This is my entry (such as it is). The connection is that my dad always opted to wear a suit to any event that called (even remotely) for it. I have twisted that into a personal style rule of: If the question is "should I wear a suit?" the answer is "yes."

So here I am at my daughter's ballet performance today in my J Crew Factory pincord suit, Bonobos shirt, and (not shown) suede Alden loafers. Only guy there in a suit. Not sorry.

(Ballerina on the right, head cheerleader/flower-picker-outer/younger daughter on the left).

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Poll's live, people. Have at it!

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    This is my entry (such as it is). The connection is that my dad always opted to wear a suit to any event that called (even remotely) for it. I have twisted that into a personal style rule of: If the question is "should I wear a suit?" the answer is "yes."

So here I am at my daughter's ballet performance today in my J Crew Factory pincord suit, Bonobos shirt, and (not shown) suede Alden loafers. Only guy there in a suit. Not sorry.

(Ballerina on the right, head cheerleader/flower-picker-outer/younger daughter on the left).

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    You got my vote.

Leave a comment:

• pyattdrummer
    replied
    Well, I prepared these pictures earlier today, before seeing Billax's post, but I don't think I'm too far off from what he is getting at (sadly, my execution probably leaves a bit to be desired). Nonetheless, I'm brave/stupid enough to try and follow him. But don't worry, I've got a lot of words to make you read as well. All of these mimic my paternal figures currently, not when they were my age.

For this challenge, I put together three outfits, 2 as examples of my father, and 1 as an example of my maternal grandfather. Explanations of each outfit will follow each picture.

1) My father on a work day

This is what my father might wear on a typical workday. He is a minister, so weekday dress for him is a coat + tie. Almost everything he wears regularly is shades of blue and brown, except for his shoes. He loves oxblood/cordovan dress shoes (he has a pair in oxford wingtip, oxford medallion toe, and derby wingtip), an affinity which I have grown to, most likely because of him. He wears blue pants a lot, which he can get away with because the only navy blazer he owns is corduroy (so he doesn't wear it often). He only has 1 dress belt, and it is black. He prefers printed ties and large patterns rather than small patterns or textures, and this is the closest tie I had to that. He always ties a full-windsor, not matter what the shirt/tie/jacket or occasion, which often leaves his tie a little shorter than what is preferred.

2) My father on the weekend/off day

Yes, this is where my father's style influences do fail me. Ill-fitting short-sleeve vertical stripe shirts are pretty much all he wears around the house in the summer. Khaki pants are fine, but then there's his Rockport bluchers (I really can't figure out what to call these. I'm home for a couple of weeks, and don't worry, these are his shoes, not mine).

3) My Grandfather

My grandfather worked as a textile engineer. As such, when it came to clothing, he was most worried about quality fabrics, and less so about fit and color schemes. He loves wool, and wears it various weights year-round, but also swears that 60% cotton/40% polyester "makes the best-wearing shirt". As such, the sweater and the tie are both 100% wool, and the shirt is 60/40 cotton/poly. In fact, he gave me both the shirt and the tie (Side note - I really love this tie. It's sometimes hard to work into a fit, but it manages to be very unique without being bold or overpowering). Unlike the other two fits, this is something I might actually wear on a normal day (as a college student, wearing a blazer is definitely too formal for going to class). Also, unlike my father, who loves his sportcoats and oxfords, my grandfather likes his sweaters and his loafers.

And there you have it. As for my personal style, I have adopted looks of loafers, textured/subtlely patterned ties, and lots of sweaters from my grandfather, and have adopted cordovan wingtip oxfords and brown blazer/navy pants combination from my father.

Leave a comment:

• Billax
    replied
    Originally posted by gibbysmalls View Post
    Jeeze, the week I think about participating, you've got to go and do that. I have neither the wardrobe nor the gravitas to compete with that entry. But I am inspired. Great post, hope you stick around
    gibby, I am not and don't want to be a participant in the competition. I WOULD like guys to know that in the period from 1959 to 1967, THIS IS THE WAY GUYS DRESSED. So, if one seeks extra points in the contest by relating to the way your male progenitors dressed, earlier damning posts about how Dads and Granddads dress now... well, those men weren't in the majority back in the day.

Good luck with your entry!

Leave a comment:

• gibbysmalls
    replied
    Originally posted by Billax View Post
    I am a fish out of water here, but I'll play one time: I was born in 1942 and began college in 1959, graduating with two degrees in 1964. My college years occurred at the very peak of the Ivy League style – the most dominant, enduring style in American menswear history. I liked the look and so did more than 90% of college males in the nation. Seeing that such a large fraction of American men wore the Ivy look in the mid-sixties, and since, at 73, I am old enough to be the father or grandfather of almost anyone on this board, the following look is – very likely – what your college-attending father or grandfather wore in the early-to-mid sixties:

The stuff:
    O'Connell's 3/2 sack of Robert Noble 55% Silk, 45% Linen cloth, woven in Scotland, with MacNeil & Moore pocket Square. BB Candy Stripe PPBD, Chipp2 Grenadine tie, LE Stone Twills, AE Tan Belt, AE Tan Westchester loafers, Marcoliani Cotton Lisle OTC socks.

Because of the twill chinos (even though they are cuffed), this would've been an outfit for a casual dinner with one's girl friend in 1962. Times change....

Jeeze, the week I think about participating, you've got to go and do that. I have neither the wardrobe nor the gravitas to compete with that entry. But I am inspired. Great post, hope you stick around

Leave a comment:

• Billax
    replied
    I am a fish out of water here, but I'll play one time: I was born in 1942 and began college in 1959, graduating with two degrees in 1964. My college years occurred at the very peak of the Ivy League style – the most dominant, enduring style in American menswear history. I liked the look and so did more than 90% of college males in the nation. Seeing that such a large fraction of American men wore the Ivy look in the mid-sixties, and since, at 73, I am old enough to be the father or grandfather of almost anyone on this board, the following look is – very likely – what your college-attending father or grandfather wore in the early-to-mid sixties:

The stuff:
    O'Connell's 3/2 sack of Robert Noble 55% Silk, 45% Linen cloth, woven in Scotland, with MacNeil & Moore pocket Square. BB Candy Stripe PPBD, Chipp2 Grenadine tie, LE Stone Twills, AE Tan Belt, AE Tan Westchester loafers, Marcoliani Cotton Lisle OTC socks.

Because of the twill chinos (even though they are cuffed), this would've been an outfit for a casual dinner with one's girl friend in 1962. Times change....

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    My dad is stuck in 1986 Miami. Don Johnson style. Pretty sure he would legally change his name to Sonny Crocket if it was easier to do so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X