No announcement yet.

Building from the bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was answering the question more on interviewing, job fairs, networking, etc. first, then build up what you would wear day-to-day. Yeah, french cuffs are for sure a reach at his age. He can easily get away with just a white and light blue button up, but extending past that, I'd dress up before I dressed out (patterns).

I have always felt that if you are to have only one suit, it should be a good one. Reason being, you only wear it on occasions that you absolutely have to be on point (ie interviews and weddings). You wear it for few hours and take it off. If you are wearing a suit everyday, that is when a cheaper suit comes in. It gets abused commuting, wearing all day, etc and you need more options.

I agree with what you are saying regarding bucks, polos, chinos, "dressy" jeans, casual button DOWNS for day-to-day internship wear right up until the cotton blazer. They get a ton of love on here, but I wouldn't wear one day-to-day in college or to an internship. If I wore a blazer at that age, it was to an award ceremony, dinner with the girlfriends parents, a play, etc. In which case, a more conservative navy wool works better in my opinion.
    Last edited by connersw; June 2, 2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by espressocycle View Post
      First of all, your first suit should be charcoal... Don't skimp on the suit and invest in good tailoring too.

...burgundy...

...There's no reason to ever spend more than $30 for a belt...
      Def +1 on suit recommendations here.
      Darker Grey is very flexible. I agree don't skimp on the suit because its already one of the more expensive items and you'll probably keep this the longest. You'll also be wearing it when you want to look and feel your best. Plus the cost savings on a cheaper suit are lost the second you decide to replace it (high re-investment cost). Where by contrast re-buying a shirt is a much smaller loss esp if you got some use out of it.
      If all of that were not enough, why invest $$ on tailoring a cheap suit? That too will be lost if you buy cheap the first time and might cost close to what a cheap suit costs in the first place where as with cutting corners on shirt or trousers you might not need much if any tailoring and the costs are much less. All this talk of tailoring is because its well worth the $$, it actually makes a bigger difference than the suit itself in most cases and you can't fully appreciate how much till you've had some tailoring done.

I disagree with note on burgundy shoes though, solid style recommendation but I don't care for burgundy leathers that much and I would argue mid brown or chocolate is at least as versatile perhaps more so.

While I would agree that the OP need not spend more than $30 on a belt at this time, there are LOTS of reasons to buy a belt for more than $30 even if you ignore the obvious examples of certain branding and exotic hides. You might wear the same belt 10 or more times in a two week span while a shirt might get worn once or twice in the same time. A good belt will last longer and handle creasing better (read: age better). I would agree that for now this is one of the easiest areas to cut corners esp if it gives you buffer for the suit/tailoring but in the long run I abhor cheap belts myself.

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
      I disagree with everything above. Sounds like OP is still in college. No need for such formal stuff, and better to skimp now.

Navy/charcoal suit from BR/JCF (or similar)
      Invest in 2 nice shirts: white and light blue (nordstrom, banana, try this stuff on)
      Unconstructed cotton navy blazer (JCF, etc)
      A couple pair of chinos
      A nice pair of dark jeans
      Black/brown dress shoes (allen edmonds; i'd go for some broguing on the browns so they can be worn more casually)
      Bucks/suede shoes

That's it, that's really all you need as a college student/intern.
      General attire advice is solid, I would say more than 2 button ups, they're versatile anyways. Navy is a good 2nd option for a suit after dark grey but I 100% disagree with suit advice beyond that. Investing in at least one good and well tailored suit is a sound investment. BR (assuming on sale) might be good for shirts, slacks etc. but I don't feel its a good value on a suit. They are pricey, not esp well made for a suit and likely to look dated more quickly. For roughly the same money you can get a custom made half canvassed suit.
      Last edited by drez; June 2, 2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Don't buy allen edmonds, or any super expensive shoe, unless they are from ebay until you dial in your size and shape. I went to town on AE shoes without knowing and I'd describe them as super uncomfortable, along with some causing heel rubbing unless I tie them tight enough to hurt the top of my foot.

Yet my AE players fit great, they are in a different last(foot shape) than most of my AEs yet all of them are size 11 some are D width and Some C width, you'd think they would all fit roughly the same but that last makes a big difference in comfort.

There will be a lot of post, but you can easily get by finding a cheap cap toe, you can easily wear a black cap toe with dark jeans as well. I'd avoid any of the suede nonsense, you can't wear it with a suit(well you CAN but don't), plus I find they look like slippers/ultra casual when people at my office wear them and I wouldn't call them business casual, save that for when you figure out your own style.

I will say avoid the allen edmonds propaganda as well, they are not even close to worth the $385 tag, Meermin, Shoepassion would be better bang for buck and I'd recommend you avoid even that price range until you get your size & last dialed in.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
          Don't buy allen edmonds, or any super expensive shoe, unless they are from ebay until you dial in your size and shape. I went to town on AE shoes without knowing and I'd describe them as super uncomfortable, along with some causing heel rubbing unless I tie them tight enough to hurt the top of my foot.

Yet my AE players fit great, they are in a different last(foot shape) than most of my AEs yet all of them are size 11 some are D width and Some C width, you'd think they would all fit roughly the same but that last makes a big difference in comfort.

There will be a lot of post, but you can easily get by finding a cheap cap toe, you can easily wear a black cap toe with dark jeans as well. I'd avoid any of the suede nonsense, you can't wear it with a suit(well you CAN but don't), plus I find they look like slippers/ultra casual when people at my office wear them and I wouldn't call them business casual, save that for when you figure out your own style.

I will say avoid the allen edmonds propaganda as well, they are not even close to worth the $385 tag, Meermin, Shoepassion would be better bang for buck and I'd recommend you avoid even that price range until you get your size & last dialed in.
          +1

I have multiple Allen Edmonds and love them but to invest that much you'll need to know your size and last beyond your usual number size, its a big investment to experiment on. That price tag will buy a lot of everything else too. Not to mention at that age I was still pretty hard on my shoes and so cheaper fashion forward shoes that you can throw away after a couple years when they are worn out and your taste has changed are probably a better choice.

Comment

What I do a lot. Go to store try on item, look online/eBay to see if I can get it cheaper.

I wore a suit for my internship until they told me otherwise it's a sign of respect. Eventually they will tell you that you can dress otherwise in most cases. Some won't and they will like you dressed up. Every single place is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Labagh View Post
              Hey guys,

This is my first post and I'm really excited to be apart of this awesome community! With that being said, I'm going to be a college sophomore next semester and I wanted to elevate my business style as I will be interviewing for internships, networking at job fairs and basically will be wearing business casual or dressier a lot more than I'm used to. I need to buy things like a suit or two, dress shoes, button down shirts, ties, etc... Seeing as how I don't have too much money to upgrade my wardrobe all at once I was wondering if you guys could lend some suggestions of versatile items(especially in regards to a suit and shoes) that could serve multiple functions, and shoes that could be worn with a suit and also dressed down a little bit. I figured it'd be best to ask for advice from a group of guys that have probably been in my shoes before and have come out on top. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks!
              Hello Matthew,

I feel like I can relate as I was in your position several years ago, changing my wardrobe from extremely casual clothing (jeans, light-hikers, and printed t-shirts) to a more polished and put together look. Based upon my experience (which will be different than yours I'm sure as I'm in Seattle and you're in Connecticut based upon your profile), here are some questions I have along with some suggestions and my reasoning behind them:

1. How often do you see yourself wearing business casual clothing? Will it be a frequent thing (3+ days a week) or maybe once a week? How about informal clothing (e.g., a suit)?
              2. What industry will your desired internships be in?
              3. Have you set a budget for rebuilding your wardrobe?
              4. What is your timeline for events when you need certain items? Career fairs tend to be a spring quarter thing so it might be worthwhile prioritizing clothing that you would get more use out of than clothing you have hanging in the closet waiting for its use 6 months down the line.

My Suggestions:
              1. Figure out your measurements and whether or not they are going to change in the next few years. Also, go and try on items from various brands and keep a file of how they fit. This is good information to have on file in the event you purchase something online to take advantage of a sale.
              2. Set money aside for tailoring. I cannot tell you the amount of times I've seen students from my university's business school looking like they're wearing a zoot suit (ok, not quite that bad, but you get the picture).
              3. Black or brown dress shoes. Brown brogues are a bit more casual than plain, black captoes, but like Scofield says, they're also a bit more versatile. I like wingtips, but I'm pretty biased.
              4. Dress socks that match your pants. They don't have to be expensive, but they should be good quality and personally I think merino wool socks are better than those made of cotton.
              5. Chinos that fit and are hemmed to the proper length (see suggestion 2).
              6. A leather belt that matches your shoes. Nothing crazy in terms of belt buckle type or leather species. Keep it simple.
              7. Dress shirts that fit. Barrel cuffs before french cuffs. Here's a good read on what to prioritize: http://dappered.com/2013/07/the-top-...shirts-to-own/
              8. A navy blazer/sport coat (choose your term of choice). If business casual is going to your primary style, I think a navy blazer would be a versatile item to have as you can dress it either up or down.
              9. A charcoal or navy suit. Single-breasted, two-buttons, 100% wool, and tailored. Color is up to you honestly as you probably have a feel for what would work better in the environment you're looking to intern in.
              10. Several ties, preferably silk, that have simple patterns or stripes. I like knitted ties for solids.
              11. A white, cotton or linen pocket square. Nothing crazy here, just something that makes you look put together as opposed to thrown together.

Your mileage may vary, but I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
              Vic
              "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

My go to casual dress shoes are my bourbon Mora 2.0s and walnut Strands. For black suit affairs, I wear my black McAllisters, and for other formal occasions I wear either my merlot McAllisters or brown burnished Fifth Aves.

Comment

I'm on team Scofield here. The very fact that you are actually giving real thought to this means you'll be better dressed than 90+% of the applicants. Look for sale items at stores like JCP, Macys, BR etc... and just test which ones fit you well and that you like in person. "Investing" in quality is something you can do down the road if you need to/when you've refined your specific sense of style. Style forums tend to to create false dichotomies in regards to clothing quality (either it will survive the nuclear apocalypse or literally disintegrate into nothing after wearing for more than two weeks). Any suit you buy from a legit department store (aka not an off label suit at a discounter like Steinmart) will be good enough assuming the fit is there (mostly focus if the shoulder fits well and try to avoid "functional" cuffs on suit jackets so that you can easily tailor them). Go to a tailor and have the basics done. I recommend a store like Macys for dress shirts, not because of quality but because they will let you try them on, which will let you get a good fit (again see point one, quality is mostly fine if your fit is on point).

Here's a good cap toe thats more affordable and has a good shape (slighly longer tow, longer more narrow design that some cheap, boxy budget shoes). I own two pairs that I rotate between. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r...%26slotId%3D67 Macys often runs sales like 25% off etc... so you can get that for well under $100.

Comment

Working...
                  X