can someone speak watch to me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can someone speak watch to me please?

i am interested in getting a new watch more than likely a seiko or orient based on what i have read on here. but before i do i would like to get a better understanding of watches. can someone please explain the basics and differences between watches to me such as the difference between quartz moment and automatic. basically a beginners primer in watches would be excellent.

Thanks guys
    Taylor

Quartz are powered by a battery and keep on telling time whether you wear them or not (until the battery goes flat). Automatics are powered by the movement of watch itself. The act of wearing the watch keeps it running. My Orient will run out of energy if I don't wear it every day. It's then a matter of setting the time -- and day of the week -- and putting it on my wrist.

Comment

In addition to what sagamore said, quartz watches are more accurate. It is not uncommon for automatics to lose or gain 20 seconds a day. Even the best movements will gain/lose 2-5 seconds each day. Automatic watches with the seconds hand will have a sweeping movement, where as quartz watches will have individual ticks every second.

Comment

which is better? and what is a good first professional watch?

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman1001 View Post
          which is better? and what is a good first professional watch?
          "Better" is awfully subjective. You'll get some impassioned responses from folks who strongly prefer one over the other. I'm a watch enthusiast/collector, and my collection is half quartz, half mechanical, but I prefer mechanical movements.

My interest in mechanical movements came from my appreciation for anachronistic mechanical items - and the idea of wearing a timepiece that, unlike most every other device I own, doesn't need a battery or contain circuitry.

As others have mentioned, mechanical movements aren't as accurate as quartz, which is of little importance to me. I try to cycle through my watches so I rarely keep any of my mechanicals running more than a couple days. What's 10 seconds over two days? I'm not setting them to the atomic clock. Many of mine run within 4 seconds a day, though, which is fine by me.

Mechanical movements come in automatic and hand-wound varieties. Automatics have a counterweight that rotates as you move which winds the mainspring. Hand-wound watches have their own appeal and require periodic winding of the crown. Most everyday mechanical movements will have about 32-40 hours of power reserve once fully wound.

A quartz alternative that doesn't require batteries is solar, such as Citizen's eco-drive. Many of these have six months power reserve on a full charge.

As for recommendations, knowing your budget would help, as there are myriad choices at various price brackets. My bias would be to suggest a mid-level automatic, but I can appreciate that the movement is of lesser importance to some.

Comment

Here's a link to a thread from an affordable watch forum that covers a lot of the basics:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=1059514

Comment

Automatic/mechanical/ manual - gears moving around
              Quartz - think digital circuit board

Comment

Do your research bub. Watchuseek is a good place to start.

Good starter Seiko for someone who thinks they might get serious about collecting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVrQj73F-DM

Comment

Originally posted by EnchinoMan View Post
                  "Better" is awfully subjective. You'll get some impassioned responses from folks who strongly prefer one over the other. I'm a watch enthusiast/collector, and my collection is half quartz, half mechanical, but I prefer mechanical movements.

My interest in mechanical movements came from my appreciation for anachronistic mechanical items - and the idea of wearing a timepiece that, unlike most every other device I own, doesn't need a battery or contain circuitry.

As others have mentioned, mechanical movements aren't as accurate as quartz, which is of little importance to me. I try to cycle through my watches so I rarely keep any of my mechanicals running more than a couple days. What's 10 seconds over two days? I'm not setting them to the atomic clock. Many of mine run within 4 seconds a day, though, which is fine by me.

Mechanical movements come in automatic and hand-wound varieties. Automatics have a counterweight that rotates as you move which winds the mainspring. Hand-wound watches have their own appeal and require periodic winding of the crown. Most everyday mechanical movements will have about 32-40 hours of power reserve once fully wound.

A quartz alternative that doesn't require batteries is solar, such as Citizen's eco-drive. Many of these have six months power reserve on a full charge.

As for recommendations, knowing your budget would help, as there are myriad choices at various price brackets. My bias would be to suggest a mid-level automatic, but I can appreciate that the movement is of lesser importance to some.
                  My thoughts exactly. Best source for information IMO Is Watchuseek.

Comment

I know you've asked for the differences between quartz and mechanical, and I think the guys here have given you some great tips/places to start.

When it's time to look for affordable watches, check out this link. The fellow who runs the site (I have no affiliation with him) did a great job of putting together a list of watches under $75.

http://culturaldispatch.com/post/119...5#119479123976

Comment

Working...
                    X