Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Tailoring question

Hello!

My wife does all of my hemming for me. She even hopped on youtube and learned how to shorten the sleeves of my sport coat/blazer jackets for me. However, we'd really like to learn how to taper the jacket waists, and quit paying someone to do it. Unfortunately, we've found it very challenging finding videos or how-to's, specifically concerning tapering the jacket waist. Google searches of "taper jacket waist" and "tailor sport coat" come up with nothing. Any helpful links?
    Last edited by Eric Leija; May 27, 2015, 11:25 AM.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ations&tbm=vid

Also can I borrow your wife? Seriously my wife has zero crafts ability. I am THIS close to buying my own sewing machine and learning how to tailor myself.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post

Also can I borrow your wife? Seriously my wife has zero crafts ability. I am THIS close to buying my own sewing machine and learning how to tailor myself.
      I learned how to use a sewing machine when I was younger, and if it weren't for an extreme lack of space and several big moves I would already have purchased a nice sewing machine. I'd save so much money.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post

Shes been teaching me slowly how to do it. There is definitely a steep learning curve, but once you get it you'll be amazed how quickly your skill rises. I "could" do it, but shes been doing it since she was 12 or 13, and I just feel more comfortable with her.

Comment

as someone who sews a lot, i would say the best way to get an idea is to find like, a good will ugly blazer for $3 and tear the lining out and pull the jacket apart to figure out how it goes together. you can try putting in some sewing pins to see how certain alterations might look for you pretty easily, with out really permanently upsetting the way the jacket goes together. I know that for me at least, usually seeing the way it's made will clue you into the best ways you can tighten it up.

if you have any good half-canvassed jackets, you can get a good idea about this just by flipping your jacket inside out, and playing around with the sewing pins as well.
          Last edited by evanparker; May 27, 2015, 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

a lot of blazers that are more form-fitted, and have darts and stuff, you can more easily adjust the fit. bringing an existing dart in a bit isn't that hard.

when things are pretty bare-bones like in a sack-suit coat, and you have a more simplistic 2 or 3 panel design, my opinion is that you have to be a lot more strategic about where to grab the fabric from.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
              as someone who sews a lot, i would say the best way to get an idea is to find like, a good will ugly blazer for $3 and tear the lining out and pull the jacket apart to figure out how it goes together. you can try putting in some sewing pins to see how certain alterations might look for you pretty easily, with out really permanently upsetting the way the jacket goes together. I know that for me at least, usually seeing the way it's made will clue you into the best ways you can tighten it up.

if you have any good half-canvassed jackets, you can get a good idea about this just by flipping your jacket inside out, and playing around with the sewing pins as well.
              Most of everyday jackets are unconstructed.

Comment

Working...
              X