Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redbeardedmike
    replied

FYI, 1 pack (1 pair) Wurkin' Stiffs are available at the local Nordstrom Rack again for $14.95 as of March 6. Might be similar in cost to the DIY method (though only one pair). Might want to check a local store if you've got one nearby.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I get equally nervous with my dog and thumb tacks. I count them all before and after I use them. She's a smart dog, but she eats first and asks questions later.

I think I lost a sewing needle at our craft table weeks ago, and it still makes me nervous that I can't account for it.

Leave a comment:

• drew2
    replied

@Chareth

Usually when you buy these magnets, several come in a single package. Just make sure that the unused magnets are all attached together (not really a problem since, well, they're magnets) and put them inside a package or container (like an altoids case) and store it away. They don't get lost like marbles.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Chareth - I take that as a request to get a WIWT pic up. =P

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

I'm kind of curious to see these in action, but I have little ones and NC's story about kids swallowing them is making me a bit apprehensive about the idea.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

That only ever happens to me if I'm not using buttons or collar stays. Either one fixes the fly-away collar problem for me.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

Ah, got it. I just happened to look at the Wurkin Stiffs website and the picture they show implies the problem is that the collar looks like its going to fly away without the magnets.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

It's not that the collars don't stay down. It's just that they spread and flatten out. They don't "stand at attention". This solution keeps the collar perky.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

Maybe I'm just lucky, but do all of you really have problems with your collars not staying down without magnets?

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

Be careful with the extra powerful magnets around automatic watches, too. A mechanical watch movement that is magnetized will not run accurately until it is demagnetized by a watch repair professional.

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    replied

Good warning. Small coin cell batteries too.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I always feel compelled to say this - keep magnets away from kids. My co-worker's daughter swallowed 2 magnets over the course of a day this winter and had a series of abdominal surgeries because they were attracted to each other across the intestinal wall and burned holes through her intestines. Not good.

I got a pack of Wurkin Stiffs as a gift and love them. Wearing them today. You have to be careful to not let the magnets smack into each other because they will chip easily.

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    replied

@BenR - Good point, but I figure for $11 it's worth it to not drive over to the hardware store and I'll have a bunch of extra magnets to play with afterward. Even if they're too strong, I'm sure I can find a use for them at home/work and I'll find some smaller ones.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

You guys ought to be able to find magnets like those in your local hardware store. Just sayin'.

(And yes... they are very powerful. My dad and I used a pair of them, plus a pair of screws, as the closure system in the watch box we built over Christmas break.)

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    replied

Thanks, I just ordered a set. The 1/4" magnets are backordered for 3-4 weeks so I just went with the 3/8" ones, same as you. Hopefully they're not too much!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X