Looking for a new Summer Blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a new Summer Blazer

Like the title says above, I'm looking for a new blazer that would be more appropriate for summer weather. I have a grey wool sportcoat that I wear a lot in the winter, and a dark brownish-purple cotton blazer that works fairly well year-round, but I'm looking for something a little lighter in color and material to keep me cooler on hotter spring/summer days. Also, I have a couple of red ties I particularly like, and the brownish-purple blazer doesn't look good with red ties against it.

Currently I'm looking at four linen or linen-cotton blazers that with current coupon codes are within similar price ranges:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...3601&cid=32643

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...eID=brafcid105

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...3601&cid=32643

https://factory.jcrew.com/browse/sin...&bmUID=kRP5mUh

However, I can't choose which one. My rotation of pants during the summer consists of khaki/navy/green chinos, and khaki/navy linen trousers (although I'm also looking for a good pair of cream chinos this season). All of my shirts are white or light shades of blue. Also, like I said, I'm looking for a blazer I can wear with my red ties. I'm torn on all four of these, because the two Navy ones are so similar to 2/5 of my pants, and the other two are very similar to the color shirts that I wear, that I'm afraid it would look off. Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic about being able to try any of these on in store, since I wear the smaller sizes that are hard to find in stores, so I'm asking the internet which one would be more versatile as my go-to summer blazer?
    Last edited by pyattdrummer; May 22, 2015, 09:10 AM.

I got the JCF horizontal stripe one about 2 months ago and I love it, I've worn it several times and gotten a lot of compliments on it. I usually wear it with either dark denim or white jeans/pants. The shirt options are a bit more limited, but I've found just plain white washed button down if I'm wearing dark pants or a navy plain or with pinpoint pattern button down if wearing white pants has worked well. I could also see a pair of nantucket red pants going really well with it (I don't own any though). Toss in a red chambray pocket square, add either some canvas sneakers or tan wingtips and you are good to go. I've found this get up perfect for Fridays in the office or weekend parties/nice dinners with the wife. I would say that the jacket runs a bit roomier. I am a pretty muscular 40R and I got the Medium and for me it fits well (I still had to have the sides taken in, but that's every jacket for me) but if someone is not as bulky up top it could be too roomy.

Comment

I wouldn't get that lighter blue linen number from Banana, since it's fully lined - defeats the purpose of linen.

Comment

That's the problem with navy pants. I know when I first started caring about how I dressed several years ago two of my first purchases were navy chinos and navy wool pants. Neither get much play and I've only purchased grey or brown pants since (mostly brown). So perhaps get the one you like the most, and put pants on your wish list.

Comment

I'm really partial to the Navy double-breasted, but is that "too much" for a college student in the South? Most occasions for me to wear blazers are concerts/recitals, church/weddings and the like, and presentations. Would I be able to wear it with Navy chinos, since they are different materials/textures?

I got the navy chinos for fall, because I wear a lot of wool grey layers that look good with navy pants. I got the navy linen trousers cause they were cheap and comfy.

Comment

Really? I wear navy chinos and navy wool pants all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbreaker View Post
              I would say that the jacket runs a bit roomier. I am a pretty muscular 40R and I got the Medium and for me it fits well (I still had to have the sides taken in, but that's every jacket for me) but if someone is not as bulky up top it could be too roomy.
              What's your height/weight? At 5'11" / 200lbs I also tend to wear a 40R or L in a classic fit, but sometimes have to size up to 42 in something that runs slim since I tend to have problems with feeling restricted in the arms and chest. Bad combination of too many push-ups (broad chest, thick arms) and too many sweets (more of a gut than I'd like), although I'm trying to fix the latter.

I've been eyeing this jacket but haven't pulled the trigger due to S/M/L sizing instead of exact chest sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by hbi2k View Post
                What's your height/weight? At 5'11" / 200lbs I also tend to wear a 40R or L in a classic fit, but sometimes have to size up to 42 in something that runs slim since I tend to have problems with feeling restricted in the arms and chest. Bad combination of too many push-ups (broad chest, thick arms) and too many sweets (more of a gut than I'd like), although I'm trying to fix the latter.

I've been eyeing this jacket but haven't pulled the trigger due to S/M/L sizing instead of exact chest sizes.
                Weird...I just noticed the OPs original message no longer exists and my reply is first?

I am 5'10" and 180-185lbs. I would say this jacket fits largely the same as the 40R in the current Thompson chino suit jacket (I have both) but appears to be a bit boxier in appearance, if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbreaker View Post
                  I would say this jacket fits largely the same as the 40R in the current Thompson chino suit jacket (I have both) but appears to be a bit boxier in appearance, if that makes any sense.
                  I think so. Less taper from the chest to the waist?

Comment

Well, the Dappered threads bug is fixed, so you can actually see the original post.

I'm not opposed to the S/M/L sizing of the JCF, because I have a similarly sized Ludlow sportcoat in XS, that, if anything, is a hair (just a hair) too tight.

I stopped by a Banana Republic today, but apparently none of the linen coats were in stock yet, so I couldn't even try them on to check out the lining/materials.

Comment

Originally posted by hbi2k View Post
                      I think so. Less taper from the chest to the waist?
                      Yeah...I would say that's it. But again, it's become my go-to spring/summer jacket...the wife loves it and when I've worn it to various functions I get a lot of comments favorable comments (likely because it's a) different than any blazer 90% of other guys will be wearing and b) is very light and casual so you can wear it naturally in situations where maybe not everyone else is sporting a jacket). It's also very comfortable and light, so perfect for summer (especially here in Atlanta).

Comment

Based on what I'm hearing from various people, I'm really leaning toward the JCF jacket. Can you speak to its versatility? How much can I dress it up? Can I wear silk woven ties with it? What sorts of colors look good with it?

Comment

For me personally, I would have a hard time dressing it up too much. As far as ties go, I would likely stick with either cotton or silk knit instead of woven silk, but maybe that's just me. Of course you could always experiment, but I personally treat this as a strictly business casual or casual jacket, but I would say it's pretty flexible across that spectrum.

Comment

I'm a little late onto this thread, but I did an in-person with the BR 100% Linen on Friday and yes it is only lined in the sleeves, however it is see through in the back, which I do not like. Very light and all that, but that makes it so casual that I'm not sure when I would wear it as my "uniform" for very casual would not include a blazer of any sort.

However, I did pick up the Tailored Textured Cotton which is partially lined, and I really love it. Great knit looking texture and feels very well constructed. Not deep navy but not medium blue like the J Crew Italian Cotton (which I also saw in person- was not really impressed). Rich and vibrant navy. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=186110002

I never would have thought about pulling the trigger based on the pics online, as the guy wears it with the prototypical BR model pose of popping the collar which keeps it from looking good to me. However, you can see the texture on the far right pic. It is fully lined but very breathable, I would wear it anywhere but the beach.

Disclaimer- buttons do function, but the sleeves hit right for me on the 40R I picked up so it won't need tailoring. Ships and returns free, though, so no risk if it doesn't work for you.

Comment

Well, the JCF horizontal stripe linen-cotton that [MENTION=7481]Starbreaker[/MENTION] got is sold out in Medium and the 50%-off sale is over anyway, but the similar-looking all-linen one is still available and for a pretty good price, so I pulled the trigger on that.

I think the khaki-like "natural" color will probably get more use from me anyway; I've got a couple pairs of navy chinos that I really like, but I don't have a jacket that works well with them (my only warm-weather jacket that I like being navy as well; wearing it with either looks like I'm wearing mismatched suit pieces).

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X