Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passed the Bar Exam. How should I treat myself?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passed the Bar Exam. How should I treat myself?

I just found out I passed the CA Bar Exam (while dealing with a cross-country move, and working full time). I'd like to buy something to commemorate the occasion, but I'm not sure what. I want something that will last a long time, that I can eventually pass down.

Let's say budget is up to $500.

Open to any suggestions. Thanks!

You'll be able to pass down a quality leather briefcase for sure. I don't know if at $500 you'll be able to get something outside of the saddleback/filson aesthetic that's gonna survive a generation though, and I'm personally not huge on those particular looks but you may see something that fits your career/lifestyle amongst their collections.

Comment

Depending on the work you have or hope to get lined up, a nice pair of dress shoes might be in order. Carminas are reasonably priced (relatively...) at skoak right now--have a look.

And major congratulations!

Comment

Briefcase? I got a nice one from a place in Montana called Witts Custom Saddlery. They have custom options and premade models.

I'd get shoes, but they're not really a hand me down item unless you have a son with the exact same size feet and even then most people don't treasure used shoes like they would leather accessories

Comment

I'd say a watch is a pretty nice thing to commemorate certain achievements. When I signed on some big name internships, I treated myself to a new watch to commemorate the moment. As I got to a better job, I upped the styling and price on watch accordingly. I don't feel like you go through too many jobs/opportunities so it fits with the occasion.

Comment

Congrats! I am studying for the CPA exam and am debating on buying a pen to commemorate the occasion. The hard part though is spend a few hundred dollars on something that takes $2 G2 inserts or generic ink.

Comment

You could also go Custom Hide for a good-looking, bomb-proof briefcase. Prices are similar to Saddleback without the cowboy-drifter vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                Congrats! I am studying for the CPA exam and am debating on buying a pen to commemorate the occasion. The hard part though is spend a few hundred dollars on something that takes $2 G2 inserts or generic ink.

The day I passed that thing was literally the happiest day of my life. Such a relief.

Comment

Might I suggest a nice fountain pen?

Comment

Originally posted by DNSamurai View Post
                    I just found out I passed the CA Bar Exam (while dealing with a cross-country move, and working full time). I'd like to buy something to commemorate the occasion, but I'm not sure what. I want something that will last a long time, that I can eventually pass down.

Congrats! You deserve it! And to answer the question in your subject: Spend $100 on a good shirt and then use the rest to pay off debt.... that's just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                      The day I passed that thing was literally the happiest day of my life. Such a relief.
                      Current target is Early November.

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
                      Might I suggest a nice fountain pen?
                      I want an every day pen which is why I use a roller ball. Fountain pens are more of a special occasion writing tool in my mind.

OP, I am liking the idea of something that you frequently use that your kids (if you choose to have them) will remember you by. A $500 watch doesn't strike me as heirloom as new watches are pricey (for something worth passing down) and a good older used one doesn't strike me that way either. Dad's old leather bag? Maybe. I am always using a knife someone gave me for a groomsman gift and but a multi-tool would be nice. The are at the low end of the range but thinking about my dad, if I saw him always using a tool it would bring a great memory.

Comment

Congrats! I'd suggest picking up a nice timepiece/watch. The Orient Bambino gets a lot of love around here. A search of the forums for watches and 500$ should steer you in a good direction/starting place.

Comment

Originally posted by DNSamurai View Post

I don't have any suggestions to offer that haven't already been mentioned, but congratulations nonetheless! I've taken that exam and I know it's no joke, even as bar exams go. Nicely done!

Comment

I want an every day pen which is why I use a roller ball. Fountain pens are more of a special occasion writing tool in my mind.
                            I use them on a daily basis and it's not a hassle at all. I use a Sheaffer 100 fountain pen filled with Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink and it makes daily note-taking and doodling a joy. I figure it's like having nice shoes--why buy them if you're not going to enjoy them often?

Comment

Something functional. Pen, alden dress shoes, I would say a nice topcoat but depends where in CA, briefcase.

What I wouldn't recommend is a night at the strip club...you wouldn't wanna pass anything that you acquired there to the next generation ya feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X