Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J. Crew Wool/Cashmere Topcoat $105 - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Crew Wool/Cashmere Topcoat $105 - worth it?

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...~~~~/17934.jsp

(5% cashmere, 95% wool)

Hi everyone. So I've been looking for a nice topcoat for a decent price and today, with 30% off final sale items, this offer is looking tempting. However, I don't know the fit of the standard version of the coat. I'm a relatively slim guy (5'11) and would buy the slim version if it didn't cost so much more.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I can't personally speak for the fit, but I do like the look of the coat in charcoal grey. Even just 5% cashmere can make a difference.

Also, do keep in mind that a topcoat is made to fit over a suit so you're EXPECTED to have multiple layers underneath it. If it's TOO trim, that ain't gonna happen... Unless you're intentionally not using it traditionally, in which case none of that matters.

Comment

Looks like a relly nice coat. I paid a bit under 100$ for my stafford car coat and really like it, and I would suspect the Jcrew is a better coat.

Comment

Alan - I would totally buy the charcoal if it were still available! And I hear you on the multiple layers, I'd wear it over a suit probably 70% of the time. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I guess it depends on how you feel about black... It's also almost spring, do you need a topcoat right now? You could always hit up thrift stores this spring as people are cleaning out their closets.

Comment

A lot of people in here would avoid the black for style reasons. In that regard, I think I'm more forgiving for black outerwear (though I'm admittedly in the minority here).

However, there is the maintenance to consider. A black wool coat will show lint, pet hair, dirt, etc. much easier than a grey coat will. Cleaning coats is expensive so the longer you can go between cleanings, the better. Cleaning less often will also increase the life of the coat. And even for things like lint and pet hair that don't require professional cleaning, at least you have more leeway with how careful you have to be.

Comment

Hmmmm good points. Jason - the main reason to buy a coat now would be mainly to get one at a lower price. Thrift stores are always an option, but as a guy who usually buys a Medium I find selection to be limited most of the time.

The whole color issue is kinda swaying me away from this deal.. I'd probably be happier in an slightly more expensive charcoal coat than a cheap black one.

Comment

@Alan, get a Kent brush:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Comment

JC - is that really a 50 pack of brushes?

Comment

I should keep a brush like that in my desk drawer. I'm always eatnig at my desk and getting stuff everywhere.

Comment

Uh... No? Just one brush, why?

Comment

@JC: There's a logo near the top of the Amazon screen that indicates it's a 50-pack. It's not mentioned in writing anywhere, though.

Side note: I nominate this thread for "Most Successful Hijacking".

Comment

Anyone see that movie about the hijacker?

Comment

I've tried on that J.Crew top coat.

It's slim up top but billows out at the bottom. Make you look like you're wearing a dress.

Comment

That guy in the picture must be wearing a slim fit. I've tried on the regular in both medium and small. I wear a 38R suit and 32 inch sleeves. The sleeves on both were very long on me. Both had bulk in the torso area...they might be okay with a suit. Small fit better in the shoulders. These coats also have hidden front buttons which I'm not a fan of. Finally, it looks like a completely different coat with the lapels down. But that's a great price in the sense that J Crew winter coats go on sale every year, and I don't think they get cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X