This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
    @ Teej- I've been debating on the gold 52mm as well - since I already have several other pairs and styles it's hard to justify the necessity of them but the gold frames and retro style makes them an accessory that polishes particular looks a little better. Plus at the low price, it's a lot easier to swallow the expense!
    I really like them. They go great with my grampa's old bomber jacket that I need to get fixed up by next winter. I'd had other pairs of aviators before but they all broke before I bought these so that's how I justified it. Gotta have a pair of aviators, and these are the ones for me. They're also a lot cheaper than the RE ones that a lot of people like.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      I just picked up my first pair of J Crew Factory Bedford pants. I must say that the fit is quite nice. I might have found a close second to Bonobos pants, but at a fraction of the cost
      Meh. They're no good for my skinny legs. They fit similarly to Lands End's Tailored Fit, or the same as Dockers D1. I only have one pair (in light grey cotton), and they wrinkle really badly. They don't hold a crease very well either. I wish I liked them more since they come in a good array of colors.

Comment

Hey so I just got these brand new AE strands in from Nordstrom (so they are firsts). And this is what I got. I Have ordered countless seconds and dont feel like they have ever had this many imperfections. Is it just me, or should I exchange these.
        http://imgur.com/a/B9k7E

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
          Meh. They're no good for my skinny legs. They fit similarly to Lands End's Tailored Fit, or the same as Dockers D1. I only have one pair (in light grey cotton), and they wrinkle really badly. They don't hold a crease very well either. I wish I liked them more since they come in a good array of colors.
          I second the wrinkling, I'd also stay away from the darker colors (navy/black) for the cotton material is a total lint magnet.

I've also had some quality issues with a couple of pairs. I have two separate pairs where the bottoms of the legs were barely hemmed, the thread came loose after a couple of washes, and another pair where a hole developed in the crotch seam after one wear.

But in their defense, they fit me perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
            I have pretty solid legs and they're good for me, but I can definitely see them being too big for skinny legs - have you tried the slim fit bedford pants? I couldn't find them in store but they may actually even work for me. I've got a pair in linen, they're awesome. Wish they were cut a bit slimmer though.

@bstv69: See if you can exchange them, those aren't bad but they don't look brand new either (they seem like they may have been worn a bit)

Recent purchases: 4 JCF Soft Wash slim fit shirts (never worn these before, willing to give them a go as I have very few casual shirts), Ralph Lauren/AE Sandersons (tan; 2nds). And my Ralph Lauren Inwoods came in from Ebay today, paid $88 w/ shipping and they're great. A bit long but a tongue pad will fix them up. Great condition and quality.

Comment

I hope this is the right place rather than the thrifting thread. I just picked these up off of the 'bay for a song. Can anyone help me identify them?

They look very similar to the Marlow Loafer, but in a burgundy. Insoles have the "Benchmade in England" Polo logos, but the side of the shoe is printed which I haven't seen in any other pictures of Marlow's online. They're very smooth, but have a bit of creasing (the flash made it look worse than it is).

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/Aq0yV#0

Comment

Just grabbed a pair of Naked and Famous Weird Guy "lightweight selvage" jeans for $89 off Gilt. Never tried a pair of these before, so we'll see how it goes.

http://www.gilt.com/look/?s_id=a9824...&size_id=10724

Comment

Originally posted by bstv69 View Post
                  Hey so I just got these brand new AE strands in from Nordstrom (so they are firsts). And this is what I got. I Have ordered countless seconds and dont feel like they have ever had this many imperfections. Is it just me, or should I exchange these.
                  http://imgur.com/a/B9k7E
                  I'd send take them back to Nordstroms- you shouldn't have any issues returning them either in person or through the mail (mail would actually be easier albeit longer). Some of it looks like handling from the store while a couple spots (thread and discoloration looks like AE QA/QC failure) If you ordered them online it's easy to see how you got that pair, if you got them in the store, you just made the case for me to thoroughly examine every inch of a shoe before walking out.
                  Last edited by ajk170; May 17, 2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I picked up the pair of LEC linen herringbone that Joe pointed out in the main site today as well as a pair of the 501 clean rigid- though I am nervous that the legs will be too big but I wasn't sure the 514s would work either- so I erred on the side for fit and not the super skinny 514s - I've read that if you have anytype of lower body the 514s aren't going to fit. My 508s fit pretty good though the legs- I can't pull more than a .5" of fabric from my thighs. I wanted to try something else because the 508s seem wonky in the waist and rise. I haven't worn Levis in many years so maybe I'm just use to something else.

I also am trying the Dockers D1 chino again but this time in a 33" waist- the last 32x32 were too tight- no real range or freedom of movement - I couldn't bound up steps in them (no, not a crime fighter but that's the best way I can think of expressing range of movement) so maybe the 33" will be better? To compare my D2 5pocket chino, I got a D2 regular chino in 32x32- I'm hoping to have the same great fit in those as my 5pocket.

I'm really considering the Nordstrom's unbranded selvedge- though I'm having a hard time with the whole selvedge movement. The $80 price appeals to me vice a $200+ tag. Any thoughts out there for the Nordstroms?

I also pulled the trigger on new Aviators- but after much consideration I went with the gold caravans. the recent thread on sunglasses made me take a hard look at the fit on my current aviators and I concluded that I need to nix them from something that suits my facial features better.
                    Last edited by ajk170; May 17, 2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I picked up the 514's today as well. Had I known they fit so slim, I probably would have passed. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
                        I'm really considering the Nordstrom's unbranded selvedge- though I'm having a hard time with the whole selvedge movement. The $80 price appeals to me vice a $200+ tag. Any thoughts out there for the Nordstroms?
                        Intriguing... I have 4 pairs of jeans, but I only wear one pair out the door, one for yardwork, and two never leave the hanger. Fit it a big problem for me with my large legs so I'm always on the lookout for more jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                          Intriguing... I have 4 pairs of jeans, but I only wear one pair out the door, one for yardwork, and two never leave the hanger. Fit it a big problem for me with my large legs so I'm always on the lookout for more jeans.
                          With the addition of the 501s and the other pants, it just got harder for me to justify to the wife why I need these because it will be an issue of something not getting used ... I'm hoping others have experience with these and I can find a reason to justify it... maybe Joe should do something on selvedge on the main site for those of us unfamiliar with the hype...

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                            Recent purchases: 4 JCF Soft Wash slim fit shirts (never worn these before, willing to give them a go as I have very few casual shirts), Ralph Lauren/AE Sandersons (tan; 2nds). And my Ralph Lauren Inwoods came in from Ebay today, paid $88 w/ shipping and they're great. A bit long but a tongue pad will fix them up. Great condition and quality.
                            I grabbed 3 of the soft wash slim JCF's a few weeks ago too. So far I'm loving them; solid fit (almost as good as Bonobos slim button ups for me), really deliver on the light-weight promise, and good patterns. The first time I wore the shirt-of-the-season blue-on-blue gingham (http://factory.jcrew.com/mens_clothi...ean-astor-blue) I got like 5 comments from random people around town.

But seriously, I think I've seen this turquoise/blue gingham pattern from every manufacturer there is this year.

Originally posted by alan View Post
                            Have you tried Bonobos' denim line yet? Pricey, but it solved my problem for the most part. The slim-straight's taper below my big thighs so I can still get what I think is a relatively modern fit without feeling like I'm wearing jeggings.

Comment

I just bought a white windowpane Merona button-down shirt from Target. Classic fit, small, and nearly perfect. Just a little too tight in the neck to be worn comfortably with a tie, and maybe a tad too short, but that remains to be seen. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and will have to go back for more, and see what their slim-fit offerings are like.

Comment

Received my tan suede Neumoks this morning, and they look perfect. I've had really good luck with ordering from the Shoebank, thankfully.

I ordered them in my typical size, and they fit perfect around the ankle and through the mid-section of the shoe, but MAN are they long. Anyone else notice this? I'm trying to determine if they look like skis or if they are fine. I thought they were on the same last as the Neumora, but turns out they aren't. They're on the 5-65 last, same as the Strand, which I own in the same size. Hmmm. Just wondering if you guys (Vicious and Shomas come to mind as recent purchasers) had any thoughts on this; did you guys size down? I honestly think if I sized down they'd be too tight in the ankle area.

Comment

Working...
                                X