This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr. mr. View Post
    picked up a pair of these: http://www.6pm.com/converse-chuck-ta...im-ox-charcoal for summer/mostly for lifting. need a pair of flat shoes for leg days.
    Ever tried Vibrams?
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

nah... not really interested, truthfully - i just need a cheap pair of beaters for squats and deadlifts.

unless you can sway me with the force of your logic and reasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by mr. mr. View Post
        nah... not really interested, truthfully - i just need a cheap pair of beaters for squats and deadlifts.

unless you can sway me with the force of your logic and reasoning?
        It comes down to preference, but I think the Vibrams are superior for lifting. While Chucks have a solid base, they aren't incompressible. The Vibrams dampen your force much less. I also think they're more stable and find that my feet slip around way less in them. Also, if you're going to be doing any other kind of workout in combination (e.g. running), Vibrams will be way safer and more comfortable.
        Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Squats and deadlifts you want HARD sole shoes, with absolutely no compression, If you're doing some light endurance stuff less than 200lbs then there would be less danger, but anything that can cause your foot to slightly shift(eg. soles that compress) you run a much higher risk of knee damage.

Running in shoes with shocks/soft soles etc as well is also MUCH harder on your knees and creates an unnatural foot position etc. Grab some vibram five fingers or something with a bit of a sole, this also will exercise the tiny muscles in your feet and some other ones in your legs, kind of like hockey skates how they tire your feet and shins out.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0104122310.htm
          http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-are-unnatural

Comment

Picked up a pair of blue cottton/linen pants from BR factory store yesterday. They're super light and are mixed with cotton so they shouldn't get as wrinkly as 100% linen. The best part was they normally cost $59.99 and with the 50% off sale they were $29.99. It came out to $31.49 with tax. I handed the guy my $30 rewards certificate (earned from using my BR card) and the total came to $0. The guy did a double take and was like 'ok, whatever', stuck it in a bag and I walked out without even having to take my wallet out of my pocket.

Comment

i'm fine with the chuck taylor's for squatting - are they the "best"? probably not. but for the price they will do fine.

Comment

Comment

@taylorusafa16: Anniversary sale, I take it? I bought those exact shoes, same color a week or so back, but had to return them the next day. Fit didn't seem to jive with my feet. Bummer, because they are suh-weeeeeeeeeeet!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                    @taylorusafa16: Anniversary sale, I take it? I bought those exact shoes, same color a week or so back, but had to return them the next day. Fit didn't seem to jive with my feet. Bummer, because they are suh-weeeeeeeeeeet!
                    @yoyorobbo
                    no I actually picked them up off of Amazon with a 20% off code for subscribing to Amazon shoes emails... they are beauties, rockin them this weekend for the first time.

Comment

@taylor - Merlot McAllisters? Gorgeous!

Comment

Grabbed a few things lately.

Snagged these beige suede AE Amoks (unlined chukka) from eBay for $100, and they're in glorious condition.

Got this navy mini-gingham shirt from TM Lewin. I'd been looking for this pattern for a long time.

I've picked up a few things from JCP lately. This polo ($12), and two pairs of chinos in khaki and light gray (under $20). The fit is pretty great for the price, though they could be slimmed a bit past the knee.

Comment

Added another pair of AEs to the collection:

Comment

@bjmcgeever - Good deal on the Amoks...they look practically brand new. How's the sizing on those? I've been thinking about trying to pick up a pair here soon. Last time I checked with the outlet, they didn't have any seconds in stock, but said they could have the factory make me a pair for $147. I'm sort of all over the place in AEs size-wise. My best fitting pair are my Elgins in a 10.5D, but those run kinda big. I was thinking I would need an 11D in these.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                              Added another pair of AEs to the collection:

You sir, suck.

Kidding, of course, bud. You are *the king* of thrift! There is none higher! Sucker MCs should call you Sire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lukeduke View Post
                                @bjmcgeever - Good deal on the Amoks...they look practically brand new. How's the sizing on those? I've been thinking about trying to pick up a pair here soon. Last time I checked with the outlet, they didn't have any seconds in stock, but said they could have the factory make me a pair for $147. I'm sort of all over the place in AEs size-wise. My best fitting pair are my Elgins in a 10.5D, but those run kinda big. I was thinking I would need an 11D in these.
                                No kidding!

I emailed Shoebank and Freeport and they said they had a pair of Snuff suedes for $100 in my size. I wear a 9.5D or 10D in most shoes. After I give these their first wear I'll let you know how they fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X