Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good lord, Shad0w. Those should last you for a good five years.

I have the pate de luxe and the pommadier cream, but I'm too cheap to spend money on more generic products from Saphir such as their dubbin or brushes. I also have their renovateur, but I only use it on my most expensive shoes. The rest get AE's conditioner cleaner, which does a good job for the price.

Comment

Bruschetta - Is that Saphir Renovateur that much better than the AE conditioner/cleaner?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        Bruschetta - Is that Saphir Renovateur that much better than the AE conditioner/cleaner?
        I'm no bruschetta, nor an AE product expert, and I have never tried Saphir's goods, but damn do I love AE's conditioner/cleaner! Works wonders, especially for the cost. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlcraft View Post
          That shirt fits you very well, Andrew. You look very trim/slim (IIRC, you've lost quite a bit of weight - gratz!), so it could possibly be a little more fitted in the midsection; but it is a casual linen *breathable* type of Summer shirt, and the shoulders hit really nice IMO, and you look comfortable&confident in it, so I say "win!"

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
            That shirt fits you very well, Andrew. You look very trim/slim (IIRC, you've lost quite a bit of weight - gratz!), so it could possibly be a little more fitted in the midsection; but it is a casual linen *breathable* type of Summer shirt, and the shoulders hit really nice IMO, and you look comfortable&confident in it, so I say "win!"
            Thanks, man. Yup, I'm down to 168 as of this morning, started getting serious about losing weight last year when I hit 210 and realized I was getting friggin' fat. As soon as the love handles are gone, I'll be happy =)

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
              No. I look at Saphir as a novelty. Saphir products are arguably the best shoe care products available, and they are within the purchasing power of plebeian like myself. How often do we have the opportunity to use a product that is the best in the world?

It's a $15-a-tin investment in smug self-satisfaction and the sensation of luxury.

Again, I only own the polish, cream, and conditioner/cleaner. I also decided not to purchase any black Saphir polish or cream; frankly, AE's black polish does the job perfectly well, and black shoes don't develop a patina.

Comment

@ Andrew yay linen, I'm starting to come around to it myself. Undershirts never make sense, I see guys wearing them half the time through their shirts looking like a bra, if they didn't wear them I would have no clue. Also the polo is too big, it looks like the shoulder seam is off your shoulder and the arm holes are way too big, I'm a well built 190lbs and I wear a medium

I have AE cleaner and it's no better/worse than the generic stuff I have from a mens store, heck it looks identical. I'm not sure about their polish as I have the tube stuff...well I'm sure about that, it's more like dye and that's all, sucks for protecting shoes as my players show. I'd honestly rank it like their shoes only buy on sale.

The Saphir smells different, and is much softer to work with so far. I think their product line uses animal oils instead of plant based ones, so far it seems to apply nicely where as the Lincoln, Kelly, Kiwi, Loake all seem "dry" and require a bit of heat to soften up. Also noticed the smell doesn't get to me like the other polishes where I would have a headache shortly after. The cream shined up very nicely with just a brush, was quite impressed with that, seemed to be better than my Meltonian. After I have more experience I could give more feedback, so far I love the fact that I can easily just tap/lightly brush the cloth in and get polish instead of swirling around with the others, seems to me that the composition is slightly different and makes it more fluid like.

Brushes are handy as heck for creams, I've had them for Meltonian and it makes getting all the spots around the stitching and broguing; Not for typical polish/wax
                Last edited by shad0w4life; April 28, 2013, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Just got my Harry's starter kit. Used it a couple of times--I'm pretty impressed.

Gonna hit JCF today. Trying to convince myself I don't need the faded black Ludlow on the JC website right now. So far I'm winning. So far.

Comment

just got both of these http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-h...217663_-1.html

any thoughts?

Comment

It's a nice pattern but I tend to not buy anything from LE or LEC unless its their tailored fit as their normal fit seems to be designed for old men.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. mr. View Post
                        just got both of these http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-h...217663_-1.html

any thoughts?
                        Nice! Easy-to-wear patterns and colors.

@Vicious - All the LEC items fits slimmer than LE items. The fit of their sport shirts is comparable to JCF.

Comment

@andrew: Congrats on your weight loss! Not sure what your history is with polo shirts, but I was never really comfortable in polos until I found a few that had smaller sleeve circumferences (I've always been skinnier, i.e., not much in the chest/biceps departments). JCP has some decent options, and I just grabbed a couple JCF polos that fit the bill for me personally. Maybe something to consider!

Anyway, I hit the JCF 50% off sale pretty hard today:

Two new polos, two pairs of their vintage slim straight denim (wheat/olive), two shirts, a pair of the new oxford cloth shorts, a navy spring jacket, and a pair of Thompson pants to match the charcoal wool jacket I have already to complete the suit. Should be good to go for a while now.
                          Last edited by Eric F; April 28, 2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric F View Post
                            Very nice haul! I have that same navy jacket. Picked it up a month ago at the last half-off sale. I think you'll love it. So comfortable and "broken-in" - as it were. Enjoy the goods, man. Looks like an even more dappered Spring/Summer is due up for you.

Comment

I picked up that JCF striped polo last year. I like the feel/texture of it.

Comment

picked up a pair of these: http://www.6pm.com/converse-chuck-ta...im-ox-charcoal for summer/mostly for lifting. need a pair of flat shoes for leg days.

Comment

Working...
                                X