Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impulsively procured this Seiko chrono last night as I was perusing JCP's goods. Saw it in the clearance display, and the clean, less-busier-than-most-chronos, almost dressy/field hybrid style really caught my eye.

The SA tried like heck to find something cosmetically wrong with it, in order to knock off another 10%, but he couldn't find anything. He simply said, "Well, since it's a quartz, you'll be needing a battery probably sooner than normal, as this one's been on display... so I'll knock 10% more off to cover that. Deal?"

Deal.

It's the Seiko SSB015. Any one seen or (especially) owned this one before? I didn't didn't find much meaningful on it google-wise, besides one post in the watchuseek forums.

Here's mine, out in the cool, crisp (and misty - thus the tiny water/moisture drops on the glass - they're not blemishes; just water) air, on my back deck:

It kinda has a little bit of this Hamilton chrono look to it - not as nice, for sure, but similar still - which is sure as hell fine by me:

IIRC, there's also a particular new(ish)Timex chrono that has a similar look, but it seems like it may have been a bit more rugged looking - more of a diver bezel look. Dunno.

Anyway, I'm *auditioning* it today, sitting at my desk, working from home - trying not to take it outside besides the photo op, in case I decide to return it. But I'm diggin' it so far. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 7, 2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

^Great looking watch.
      Do you know if they make a white dial version?

Comment

So the sand suede Players I got from the ShoeBank are having to go back. They look great but are pinching my ankles in a weird way that no other AE shoes have done before. I liked the Malverns I got the week before so much that I'm swapping the Players out for the brown grain version. That'll give me the Malverns in brown suede and brown grain which I guess is a tad bit redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Johdus View Post
          ^Great looking watch.
          Do you know if they make a white dial version?
          Thanks, man. As far as white dial goes, in that watchuseek forum post I mentioned/linked, a couple of fellas were discussing a few other in the line. Looks like the SSB001 is the white dial version of this one, except on a SS bracelet. You could always swap the band, unless the SS look was what you wanted anyway. I'm likely to swap out the balck leather band for a brown or cordovan/burgundy one. We'll see. Anyway, here's a pic of the white dial on SS:

There are a few other similar-looking Seiko chronos, which Joe has reviewed on the main site here (Dappered). I seem to recall a black dial and white dial version of those too. I'll try to go take a look for ya, and if I find them, I'll link those articles here too.

And again, thanks for the reply. I certainly don't *need* another watch, and I probably *should* just save up for something in the next tier - but I really liked the look of this one, and I'm fairly confident with Seiko watches in general, thus... money spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            I liked the Malverns I got the week before so much that I'm swapping the Players out for the brown grain version. That'll give me the Malverns in brown suede and brown grain which I guess is a tad bit redundant.
            Hey Vicious, how would you compare the fit of the Malverns to some of your 5-last AEs (Strand, Park Ave, etc)? I am one of those dudes on which the 5-last sucks. And that sucks. I recall you mentioning that he 5 lasts fit you just fine. Just curious, understanding that it's a boot vs a shoe thang, how differently the Malverns fit vs those others.

I am considering grabbing a pair, as well as the Cascades, which I think you also really enjoy. I was hoping to get some *shoes* from the AE line, especially with this awesome deal going on, but the best offerings I see for me in their posted lists are *boots*. If I have it right, Malverns are on the 1 last, and Cascades on the 4? Both supposedly roomier fits than the slender & long 5.

Maybe a good comparison shoe/boot for my question here is say Clark's DB. I have a pair of the Beeswax leather, and I think you do too, right? That might help me understand fit comparisons for the Malvern and/or Cascade. Think you can help me there?

Comment

Yoyorobbo,

I think I actually have all the shoes you've listed in that post. All of my AE shoes/boots, every single one regardless of last only gives me trouble around my pinky toe area. For that reason I've ordered a shoe stretcher for myself and will get the boots stretched at a local cobbler I called earlier today whom said they charge $10-$15 a pair.

I usually wear a C width in their shoes because my heels are on the thinner side and slip out of most D's. With the boots, I can get away with D because my heels not slipping due to them being boots. The Malverns kill my pinky toes so I don't think they're any better in that respect than the Strands, etc. The Cascades are a bit more forgiving but do start to hurt in the same area as the day goes on. Probably because my feet are swelling later in the day.

The Clarks Desert Boots never give me any type of fatigue on my toes so in that aspect they are roomier than AE's. But they don't compare to the Malverns in terms of comfortability, etc. when they're not hurting my pinky toe. The Malverns are really comfortable to walk in. I'm not saying that the Clarks aren't, but they're roomier so it doesn't have the same feel of hugging my foot.

Also, not sure if this makes a difference to you but I have a high instep so I never have a problem with the 5 last bowing issue that others seem to exhibit all the time.

Comment

I think I actually have all the shoes you've listed in that post.
                Yeah, LOL - that's why I latched onto you for some personal feedback on them. Thanks so much for obliging. I appreciate the time spent with that in-depth take, bud.

The Malverns *look* to be what I like in a chukka type boot. I don't wear my Clark's as much as I thought I would, mainly because I eff'd up and should have sized-down, but didn't. Lesson learned. And it would seem then that the Cascades would be pretty forgiving, on the snug/slender tip.

It's not that I have *wide* feet; I don't. I just have the flattest feet in recorded history, and that make me mash down the sides of shoes. If those shoes have a narrow/slender mid-sole (or whatever), right at the arch area, I'm doomed. That was the case when I tried on some of the 5-last gems (Kenilworth, Strand, Park Ave). I've been in search of the right AE last(s) for my dorky feet. Still searching.

Again thanks for the input. Means a ton. I'll have to make a decision pretty soon on this current sale/deal - ends what, the 10th? Or is that only the Sole4Souls? Now I'm confusing myself. Does the Soles4Souls work in conjunction with the 2 for $250 seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                  Does the Soles4Souls work in conjunction with the 2 for $250 seconds?
                  Nope. I asked when I called to order yesterday.

Comment

Impulsively procured this Seiko chrono last night as I was perusing JCP's goods. Saw it in the clearance display, and the clean, less-busier-than-most-chronos, almost dressy/field hybrid style really caught my eye.

The SA tried like heck to find something cosmetically wrong with it, in order to knock off another 10%, but he couldn't find anything. He simply said, "Well, since it's a quartz, you'll be needing a battery probably sooner than normal, as this one's been on display... so I'll knock 10% more off to cover that. Deal?"

Deal.

It's the Seiko SSB015. Any one seen or (especially) owned this one before? I didn't didn't find much meaningful on it google-wise, besides one post in the watchuseek forums.

Here's mine, out in the cool, crisp (and misty - thus the tiny water/moisture drops on the glass - they're not blemishes; just water) air, on my back deck:

It kinda has a little bit of this Hamilton chrono look to it - not as nice, for sure, but similar still - which is sure as hell fine by me:

IIRC, there's also a particular new(ish)Timex chrono that has a similar look, but it seems like it may have been a bit more rugged looking - more of a diver bezel look. Dunno.

Anyway, I'm *auditioning* it today, sitting at my desk, working from home - trying not to take it outside besides the photo op, in case I decide to return it. But I'm diggin' it so far. Any thoughts?
                    That watch is gorgeous. I like it. I was looking at picking up a new Invicta, but I am going to check that one out.

Comment

There are a few other similar-looking Seiko chronos, which Joe has reviewed on the main site here (Dappered). I seem to recall a black dial and white dial version of those too. I'll try to go take a look for ya, and if I find them, I'll link those articles here too.
                      @Johdus, here's a link to one of those articles by Joe featuring a pair of similar yet different Seiko chronos:
                      http://dappered.com/2012/08/the-comp...k-7-under-150/

I guess it's more of a cream face on brown strap, according to his post.

Additionally, here's a post in these threads of a fellow Dappered poster's watch for sale (looks like he sold it yesterday though), for another in-person photo, along with some deets:
                      http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...31-Chronograph

Now remember, these are a different watch altogether than the one I just snagged, but it may be something that your interested in more anyway. Dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                        Nope. I asked when I called to order yesterday.
                        Makes sense. Sorta. LOL - They let you use Sole4Souls on Clearanced items on the main site, so it would be ultra cool if it works on 2nds. But yeah, too much to ask, I guess.

Still 2 for $250. Nice! Just wish there were some more choices that I actually *liked*. Ugh.

Comment

@ Mimbo- I really like the look of your new chrono- has a very clean look to it- here's the one that I have
                          http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/prod...nograph/241157

I've had it for three years and overpaid for it. I've sent it in twice for service and has worked well for the past 18 months. I hate the fact that nobody makes a strap for it so I have to have a custom one made. To do it over again- I would launch at the opportunity on yours! I really like the polished case rather than the matte case on mine. the only cool part about mine is the crystal has something to it that tends to make the face appear bluish in some light.

Hope you hang on to it - that's a hard look to find at a good price and hope you don't have any issues with it.

Comment

Still 2 for $250. Nice! Just wish there were some more choices that I actually *liked*. Ugh.
                            This was my issue also; luckily, I was able to split the order with my brother.

Comment

I think I actually have all the shoes you've listed in that post. All of my AE shoes/boots, every single one regardless of last only gives me trouble around my pinky toe area. For that reason I've ordered a shoe stretcher for myself and will get the boots stretched at a local cobbler I called earlier today whom said they charge $10-$15 a pair.
                              I just took a pair of AEs to an AE store (in NYC) and they stretched them for me free of charge. Might be worth looking into if you leave near an AE store.

Comment

Originally posted by Idle_Hands View Post
                                I just took a pair of AEs to an AE store (in NYC) and they stretched them for me free of charge. Might be worth looking into if you leave near an AE store.
                                Tanks for the tip. I'll look in to it. I wonder if they'd do that for seconds as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X