Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Purchases

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Morgan Liu View Post
    I've been looking for a good wingtip boot too. But I keep coming back to the AE dalton as my shoe of choice. But I don't want to pay more than 170 or so, and that's a stretch even on ebay.


    and as a tangent I bought some AE brown neumoras recently.
    I'm debating picking up the grey daltons on sale. I wouldn't wear boots in a business / dress environment, so purely as a casual thing the grey is less bothersome, and it seems to be a dark grey as it is. Still, the color seems to draw really sharp, differing opinions on people.

    Comment


      where is it on sale?

      Comment


        Originally posted by Morgan Liu View Post
        where is it on sale?
        http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

        Plus another $35 off if you donate an old pair of shoes gets it down to 165 or so.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Crims View Post
          I'm debating picking up the grey daltons on sale. I wouldn't wear boots in a business / dress environment, so purely as a casual thing the grey is less bothersome, and it seems to be a dark grey as it is. Still, the color seems to draw really sharp, differing opinions on people.
          beauty of the daltons are that you can wear them in a business/dress environment as well as casual environment. With pants covering the top, most people won't even know they're boots.

          in case you haven't yet, check this out: http://tsbmen.com/6153/1-piece5-ways...-brogue-boots/

          Comment


            I thought about a gray version too- but decided that if and when I go to a Dalton it will be the classic colors- I felt like I was settling if I went with the gray and was doing it only to get into a Dalton. I do think the suede gray in the Florsheim is a great look- very casual but it's not as dark as the Dalton's leather.

            Comment


              Only the dark brown has the sale- not the cognac.

              Comment


                The one thing I like about the Florsheim Gaffney, AE Dalton and even the JCP Stafford wingtip boot (no longer available) is the subdued eyelets. If J&M would have done that these would have been a lot better and I would have been faster to pay the sale price. But as it is, I'm feeling ok about the purchase - would have been better with another $20 bucks off and/or free shipping.

                Comment


                  I got a pair of Levi's 514s at Kohls for $13! score!

                  Comment


                    Got a pair of polarized Ray Bans off ebay for $92. I usually go cheap but I always end up buying something after a few months. These pair are the first I've loved so I figured I'd hopefully keep these for a while to justify the cost. My only concern was the seller's rating was 97.9% but that was with 1 negative rating out of 47. So hopefully they're real.
                    http://cdn.visiondirect.com.au/publi...7%20004_58.jpg

                    Comment


                      This one wasn't a purchase exactly, but due to the recent series on cologne, I've been inspired to look for GIT myself. Since I live under a rock and have never heard of it prior to the article, I figured I'd give it a try. Especially since I like Cool water but haven't worn it in a very long time. So my wife went into Saks this evening to see if they carry GIT- which they do, $155 for an ounce- and asked if they had a sample. At first they said no but apparently she hit it off with the sales person and five minutes later she has a sample. One the surface, it's telling about Saks sales people- but on other levels, goes to show that you have to show you're a serious consumer about what ever it is you're looking to buy. Of course, looking the part helps too. So now I have what I should believe is a legit sample of GIT. Really helps that she loves the smell of it. I told her it could be an early birthday gift...

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by charliebrown2 View Post
                        beauty of the daltons are that you can wear them in a business/dress environment as well as casual environment. With pants covering the top, most people won't even know they're boots.

                        in case you haven't yet, check this out: http://tsbmen.com/6153/1-piece5-ways...-brogue-boots/
                        I agree with you in cold-weather climates, or even places like TX, but working in Southern California means boots at work are out of place. That said they can go pretty well with a casual rugged/masculine look, paired with jeans, which is why the grey doesn't bother me as much.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
                          This one wasn't a purchase exactly, but due to the recent series on cologne, I've been inspired to look for GIT myself. Since I live under a rock and have never heard of it prior to the article, I figured I'd give it a try. Especially since I like Cool water but haven't worn it in a very long time. So my wife went into Saks this evening to see if they carry GIT- which they do, $155 for an ounce- and asked if they had a sample. At first they said no but apparently she hit it off with the sales person and five minutes later she has a sample. One the surface, it's telling about Saks sales people- but on other levels, goes to show that you have to show you're a serious consumer about what ever it is you're looking to buy. Of course, looking the part helps too. So now I have what I should believe is a legit sample of GIT. Really helps that she loves the smell of it. I told her it could be an early birthday gift...
                          With respect to "looking the part" at Saks/Neiman Marcus - I've definitely had this experience. A nice jacket or suit (was coming back from a formal event and wanted to stop by) gets you taken seriously, and while it bothers me on some level, I also understand why this dynamic exists. Incidentally, when I was well-dressed was when I tried Creed's Aventus and Imperial Millesime (I really liked Aventus)! Never would have thought to ask for a sample but I understand why they're so hesitant to hand them out (the price is pretty high).

                          Speaking of colognes, I purchased two today, both decidedly on the other end of the price spectrum: Nautica Voyage ($20 for 3.4oz I think) and Grey Flannel ($9.99 for 3.4oz). I tried Voyage in person as I was looking for an affordable aquatic scent (I like Acqua di Gio a lot, but I don't wear cologne a lot right now so I can't justify spending that much) but Grey Flannel was a blind purchase from Ross (Ross/TJMaxx/Marshall's have lots of colognes for great prices). I can definitely understand why Grey Flannel is so divisive, the floral violet note is quite strong and has persisted for about 4 hours now. I put two sprays on and it smelled too much like powder, but it's died down now and there's a bit of a deeper smell (moss?) coming through to temper it. Overall I'd say it's a very very clean scent and pretty unique in comparison to things produced today (GF was made in the late 70s), I think the best word to describe it is "soft" (like dryer sheets in a pile of clothes). I don't know what to think of it - definitely not something I'd wear every day or ever casually, but I think it could be good for work or any other occasion where you're wearing a suit or jacket in a pretty conservative/understated look and you don't want the fragrance to speak louder than your clothes.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
                            This one wasn't a purchase exactly, but due to the recent series on cologne, I've been inspired to look for GIT myself. Since I live under a rock and have never heard of it prior to the article, I figured I'd give it a try. Especially since I like Cool water but haven't worn it in a very long time.
                            I think you'll really enjoy it. It is either #1 or #2 of my fragrance arsenal, which my wife absolutely loves on me. If you decide to purchase a full bottle, you may wish to look at Walgreens website or even Perfumania's site too. They both carry it at pretty decent prices. I took advantage of a BOGO w/20% more off deal from Walgreens a while back, and it ended up being close to $80 a 4 oz bottle (getting 2 bottles of juice, of course, in the BOGO). There are good deals online from other fragrance sites, but Walgreens is for sure legit.

                            One additional note, even though Cool Water gets compared to GIT, I have found that IMO Aspen is even a closer scent. That can be had for $20-25 for a big 4.0 or 4.2 oz bottle. Nowhere near the quality of ingredients, but a fairly close smelling scent, on the cheap. Just an idea if the price of GIT causes you to flee.

                            Comment


                              the beauty of daltons is that daltons are beautiful. When I get a pair I will wear them everywhere. Don't care.

                              Comment


                                @ajk, GIT 4oz for $155: http://www.perfumania.com/shop/mens/..._195818.1.html
                                I'm really tempted to buy this for myself but I've never tested GIT before and it's a bit of a luxury for me right now.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X