Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From AO but I'm sure that other sites have similar sizing suggestions.

Suggested Frame Size Face Size (temple to temple)

52mm 127mm or 5”
    55mm 135mm or 5.25”
    57mm 140mm or 5.5”
    58mm 146mm or 5.75”

Originally posted by hon140 View Post
    This is more a question about a future purchase than a recent purchase, but...

Everyone agrees that these sunglasses don't look good on me. I'm about to buy a new pair of glasses and am torn between the "Brooks Brothers Sunglasses" on Nordstrom and a pair of New Wayfarers in Tortoise with brown lenses, but I need to know:

The AE Original Pilots pictured below are 55 mm - is 55 mm the right size, or would 52 mm fit? I'm asking because the Brooks Brothers Sunglasses only come in 52 mm, but I like them more since they are more angular, which fits with my general aethetic/the angularness of my face.

Comment

JCP Printed Poplin Polka Dot...I like it...I think...

I would wear it tucked in most of the time. I just wanted to show off the length.

Comment

@hon140 ...IMHO- there's something about the angular look of the glasses in that picture that doesn't look right... looks like you're trying too hard. I would think if the lenses were any narrower it would look worse. 52mm are almost women sizes- but that's just me. Original wayfarers are 54mm. I too am looking at the wayfarers but decided to go with the originals- i hear much better reviews on those than the wayfarer IIs.

I would also suggest the Ray Ban Aviator Cockpits- lenses are 56mm but the bridge isn't as big as the ones in the picture - thus the cockpits may actually look smaller on your face (they lenses don't seem so far apart like they do in your picture) I think thats the problem with the ones picture- the separation between the lenses where as the cockpits and even my D&G aviators have the lenses closer- make sense?

Comment

I just ordered a pair of Superga in white- never had those before so I hope they fit. Also just got a cable knit crew neck from Nordstroms that I think I may have to shrink a bit. My Orient Bambino in rose-gold just arrived today and it's better than I expected though I think I am going to order the black band so that I can swap it around. I picked up the A&E shawl collar navy sweater that Joe highlighted last month- had to take a razor to it and it looks pretty good.

I too have a couple questions on a future purchase... I am really looking at the JCP Claiborne navy blazer or the new Stafford Prep. I don't have a cotton blazer like either one of these and am trying to decide what would be better- I'm really leaning towards the claiborne since it's versatility seems to be more than the Stafford Prep. Any thoughts? I'm also looking at the Old Navy cotton/linen pants but I'm kinda waiting to see what people think or if there is something else out there that's better for the money in linen trousers.

Comment

I just stopped by JCP to try and scrounge up the last of last years medium oxfords and i decided to try out the Claiborne blazer. Loved the look however i couldn't get the fit to work for me (41" chest) One thing to note with it, which was left out in the review on the full site is that the armholes are painfully low. When trying to lift my arms enough to adjust the shirt collar the entire jacket lifted off my shoulders. Just my $.02

Comment

Some small additions that I'm pretty pleased with.

Massimo Dutti Nylon Jacket (gift)

Sebago Spinnaker ($25 thanks to a gift card I've had lying around for a year)

APC Petit Standard (full-price, which makes me sad after finding them on sale online a day later, but retrospectively it was worth the premium to get proper in-person fit advice)

I'm trying to limit myself to one or two staple purchases per month and grow my wardrobe more gradually. I'll still pick up basics here and there, but trying to keep it light.

ajk170, I've been eying a pair of the Supergas in white as well. Great shoe for those relaxed spring/summer days. Are you looking at the canvas or leather? I'm waiting until I find a good deal on them.
              Last edited by Shift and Void; February 13, 2013, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Got these 2 in the mail today from the Hickey Freeman sale. I love the navy jacket but am probably returning the 2nd one.

Last edited by Vicious49; February 13, 2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

rag and bone shawl pullover for $110

http://www.ssense.com/men/product/ra..._sweater/56731

i love the brand, not that i can afford much of it. seeing it on discount at end of season sales is too tempting

Comment

Had been looking for some bucks for a while and managed to pick these up for $75. They were pretty consistently in the 120-140 range everywhere I looked but Amazon happened to have them that cheap in my size (a relatively common 8.5) and 14 or something. I took it as a sign and picked them up. Glued but they look and feel great and will pair well with my seersucker suit this summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murph.../dp/B005VBV4ZS

Comment

@shift love those sebagos man. nice pick up.
                      My cocktail videos >

Comment

I was trying the no-spend February thang - and if returns/negatives count, I'm still in it around -$670 or so - but I just couldn't put this one back on the rack at Marshalls. It's not perfect, but it's pretty nice for $29.

Comment

@Vicious - Don't return the checked one, it is awesome! And the sleeves seem just right too, lucky you, I always have to get them shortened.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sasco View Post
                            @Vicious - Don't return the checked one, it is awesome! And the sleeves seem just right too, lucky you, I always have to get them shortened.
                            I actually did end up sending it back. I didn't like the big shoulder pads and the pattern up close didn't look as nice. Plus, if I have to talk myself into it, then it's probably not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                              Plus, if I have to talk myself into it, then it's probably not for me.
                              Great rule to shop by.

Comment

Bought some of Gap's "lived in" chinos. They are amazing - the most comfortable pants I own that are socially acceptable to wear outside my front door (i.e. not sweat pants or pajama pants). And they look great, as I prefer more casual chinos or workman-like chinos. How did I not know about these before? Is there some unknown drawback I'll discover on the first wash?

Comment

Working...
                                X