Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, everyone. New guy here. It's been a J. Crew kind of month. Their 40% off final sale is killing me: in the past few weeks, I've snagged the brown shawl collar cardigan, the navy lambswool with gray checks cardigan, the navy cotton pocket cardigan, the cashmere turtleneck in navy (thanks to the tip on the Friday handful page), and the lambswool roll collar sweater.

These are things I had been eying all season but I decided to be patient and wait it out until the sales. Glad I did!

Comment

Just won: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banana-Repub...vip=true&rt=nc

Same price shipped as my Merona Kensington!

Good condition and reviewed positively by Joe (http://dappered.com/2011/02/the-top-...lazer-of-2011/) I wish it didn't have the huge patch pockets but I can deal with it. I'm similar to his measurements but not as athletic, so I sized up from 38R to 40R given my experiences w/ the BR Tailored line and Joe's own comments about sizing up in the past. Really excited to get this in, could be the perfect casual 3-season navy blazer (I live in TX!)

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        Actually I have decided to return them anyway. I wore them around the house a little and have noticed that the left shoe's sole feels uneven under my feet... like the back left part of the heel is taller than the rest.

I get discount coupons e-mailed to me from Shoebuy.com all the time, so I guess I will just wait to snag a 25-30% discount and get the regular Bushacres there. I haven't bought from Shoebuy in a long time, but they actually carry the size I need in Beeswax (7.5), unlike most other retailers I've looked at.
        Follow-up to my Target desert boots situation:

Checked on Shoebuy.com for a while until a 25% discount rolled around, bringing the price on the beeswax Bushacre 2's down to $64. Ordered them and got them a few days ago.

I got them in a 7.5. I've previously tried them on in-store in 7 (too snug) and 8 (clown-like). I figured the 7.5 would be perfect but... still too long (I almost tripped up the stairs in my house while trying them out), and extremely uncomfortable around the ankle.

Honestly - I'm not impressed. The Clarks are headed back.

So I stopped by Target today (a different store than the original one) and picked up the Target version again. These ones don't have the uneven soles of the first pair. And they are significantly more comfortable than the Clarks.

Despite any, ahem, spurious comments as to the looks of the Target desert boots, I actually think they look pretty nice. I gave them a conditioning treatment this evening and they look even better - a rich, even, dark chocolate brown. It's too dark to take photos tonight, but I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          Follow-up to my Target desert boots situation:

C
          Honestly - I'm not impressed. The Clarks are headed back.

So I stopped by Target today (a different store than the original one) and picked up the Target version again. These ones don't have the uneven soles of the first pair. And they are significantly more comfortable than the Clarks.

Despite any, ahem, spurious comments as to the looks of the Target desert boots, I actually think they look pretty nice. I gave them a conditioning treatment this evening and they look even better - a rich, even, dark chocolate brown. It's too dark to take photos tonight, but I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
          I might have to check out the Target DBs. I've been a loyal fan of the Clarks Original for many a year, though, so I doubt I'd make the switch. Even as the price has crept up (they're now like 120 bucks or so on Zappos!), I still think the Clarks Original is a decent casual shoe for the price.

Comment

Shirt and checked pants were from Banana Republic B&M Clearance rack, $15 and 30. Pinstripes are Photographer pants from Express, $15.
            Wanted to get the shirt online when it was $29.99, but glad I waited. The fabric is very thin and soft.

Comment

Picked up this today: http://www.cottonfieldshop.com/gb/it...tus-b46139007/ How ya'll like it?

Comment

I think that will take sartorial (felt like using this word per Joe's post about overused words) cajones to pull off.
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

A bit of a roll lately. I picked up these pants:

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-e...246063_-1.html

They are slim but I like the look and feel of them. My tailor is letting the legs out.

This was a gift and I think it is really great. A cover for a double-edge safety razor. I feel like I can more easily travel with it now.

Not everyone's style but I picked up these Vibram sole Grensons. They have already been fantastic in this brutal MN winter. I just purchased some Obenauf's LP to use with them as well. Other random purchases, Schnee's conditioner, feather blades for the razor.

Comment

Yeah, gonna pair it with really simple pieces (there is another word from that list ), layer it under a blazer, maybe try pulling it off with a more causal suit, will let you guys know in WIWT. BTW: Grensons look great

Comment

greg - you keep your double edge pieced together between shaves?
                      My cocktail videos >

Comment

@tdig, yep. I don't keep that cover on it. I have a stand that it hangs on day to day. I never considered taking it apart, seems like more work than it's worth. I'm also not "into" shaving; as in I don't read shave forums or anything. I just like how my face looks and feels after using it.

@Matt, thanks they've quickly become daily wearers.

Comment

Greg, where'd you get that cover? I've just been wrapping my blade up in a couple of paper towels if i have to travel and its a relatively new blade in there

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                            @tdig, yep. I don't keep that cover on it. I have a stand that it hangs on day to day. I never considered taking it apart, seems like more work than it's worth. I'm also not "into" shaving; as in I don't read shave forums or anything. I just like how my face looks and feels after using it.
                            Basically the same for me although I don't think I get a better shave with it than the fusion pro I was using before then. I mainly switched since I was getting tired of paying $3-$4 per blade even though I only switched it out about every 3 weeks.

Comment

@vicious, are you using feather blades? I find the shave to be much much better with feather blades.

@andrew, google Kenton Sorenson. His goods are nothing short of fantastic. The price on most items is laughable for dappered (though I do also own the Dopp kit), but the blade cover is really reasonable. Tight at first but it stretches nicely. Also his leather goods develop a beautiful patina over time.

Comment

Greg - I got a variety pack that had 7 different types of blades, including Feathers. My hair grows in so many different directions that the blade doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I usually go with the grain with the 1st pass, then go against the grain with my 2nd pass, then use the Fusion pro for a 3rd pass in whatever direction to get anything that I couldn't get with the straight edge razor.

Comment

Working...
                                X