Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dockers Alpha Khaki, Slim Tapered. Bought 2 pair, one in navy and one in khaki. On sale for $49.99 and an additional 20% off with free shipping for new email subscriber.

Comment

• After a while of thinking on it, I finally bought myself a pair of Red Wing Moc Toe 6" boots from a local retailer. I believe they are the 8883 style.

Two days into breaking them in, thus far. Looking forward to using those things for several years to come.
      Last edited by OogieBoogie; January 6th, 2018, 09:58 PM. Reason: Correcting phrasing

Comment

• Just ordered a Fisher AG7. I started thinking about how many pens I just throw out or stop using, and I'm trying to curtail waste and start buying long-lasting items.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco View Post
          Just ordered a Fisher AG7. I started thinking about how many pens I just throw out or stop using, and I'm trying to curtail waste and start buying long-lasting items.
          Nice pen. There is certainly something to be said to purchasing a nice writing instrument. Years ago I spoiled myself and purchased a Mont Blanc pen. Stupid expensive? Yes. But I will say using the pen did rekindle my appreciation for writing. Now I'm just throwing out the pen inserts instead of the whole pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            Nice pen. There is certainly something to be said to purchasing a nice writing instrument. Years ago I spoiled myself and purchased a Mont Blanc pen. Stupid expensive? Yes. But I will say using the pen did rekindle my appreciation for writing. Now I'm just throwing out the pen inserts instead of the whole pen.
            If you truly want to be less wasteful...you need a model that has an internal ink tank and draws up ink out of an ink bottle.

(I'm obviously talking about fountain pens only. Ballpoints, roller balls, etc. require refills.)

Comment

• Originally posted by TMann View Post
              If you truly want to be less wasteful...you need a model that has an internal ink tank and draws up ink out of an ink bottle.

(I'm obviously talking about fountain pens only. Ballpoints, roller balls, etc. require refills.)
              Or just buy a converter. (Says the guy with a Lamy Vista clipped inside his jacket pocket and a Kaweco Liliput clipped in his pants pocket.)
              Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by TMann View Post

Yeah, not so good for those of use who are left handed. But a good suggestion nonetheless.

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  Or just buy a converter. (Says the guy with a Lamy Vista clipped inside his jacket pocket and a Kaweco Liliput clipped in his pants pocket.)
                  Which nibs are you using?

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  Yeah, not so good for those of use who are left handed. But a good suggestion nonetheless.
                  Brian Goulet has a Fountain Pen 101 article about this: https://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/08/...ns-for-lefties

JetPens has a guide to fast-drying inks: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/fast-dr...en-inks/pt/896

-Vic
                  "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    Is that a pen in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I have a Lamy Safari I use regularly at work. My goal is to one day buy a Montblanc - probably in about 8 years to sign my final mortgage payment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vic View Post
                      Which nibs are you using?
                      I use fine nibs. I don’t do calligraphy or anything and my writing is on the small side.
                      Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Vic View Post
                        Brian Goulet has a Fountain Pen 101 article about this: https://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/08/...ns-for-lefties

JetPens has a guide to fast-drying inks: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/fast-dr...en-inks/pt/896

-Vic
                        Thanks! I had no idea such things even existed. I'll check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
                          After a while of thinking on it, I finally bought myself a pair of Red Wing Moc Toe 6" boots from a local retailer. I believe they are the 8883 style.

Two days into breaking them in, thus far. Looking forward to using those things for several years to come.
                          Several years is an understatement...mine turned 10 last year. With lots of TLC, they still look great!

Comment

• Franklin Tailored (Amazon brand) houndstooth sportcoat.

I picked up another one of these after really liking the first one. Same basic design: European sizing, lower patch pockets, inset barchetta chest pocket, unlined (except sleeves of/c). I realized the buttons on these are non-functional after trying to actually unbutton one... they look like they could be functional. Non-functional is a plus in any case as I need to alter the sleeve length by 1". Fabric label of "Super 120's Vitale Barberis Canonico."

Amazon has a great product here in the tens of dollars range. I don't know if I would like these as much for the original price. They appear to get returned and then drop by $10–20 per week until someone finally buys them. I had some saved in my shopping cart that it looks like someone else bought. Maybe I should stop telling people about them...

Comment

• Originally posted by ianr View Post
                              Franklin Tailored (Amazon brand) houndstooth sportcoat.

I picked up another one of these after really liking the first one. Same basic design: European sizing, lower patch pockets, inset barchetta chest pocket, unlined (except sleeves of/c). I realized the buttons on these are non-functional after trying to actually unbutton one... they look like they could be functional. Non-functional is a plus in any case as I need to alter the sleeve length by 1". Fabric label of "Super 120's Vitale Barberis Canonico."

Amazon has a great product here in the tens of dollars range. I don't know if I would like these as much for the original price.

Can you please post some fit pics? On Amazon, the model shots aren't very good; the blazer looks stiff, boxy, overly structured, too big for the models. They look more softly constructed in your photo, but it's hard to tell when it's not on.

Comment

• Originally posted by sky7i View Post
                                Can you please post some fit pics? On Amazon, the model shots aren't very good; the blazer looks stiff, boxy, overly structured, too big for the models. They look more softly constructed in your photo, but it's hard to tell when it's not on.
                                I will try to take some for you tomorrow. All I have so far is one picture I posted to WIWT. There is not much shoulder padding; I can easily pinch the shoulders together unlike a more structured jacket.

Another thing I found out is there are two jacket types called "Franklin Tailored sportcoat" on Amazon: Italian with patch pockets and Canadian with inset flap pockets. I bought a third sportcoat with the flap pockets that I returned because it felt too much like a suit jacket. The flap-pocket version had more padding and was lined. It might have been okay altered and if it had matching trousers.

I agree they look all weird on the model Amazon used the most. I was thinking the jackets don't even look like they are the right size on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X