This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post

My Allen Edmonds 5th Ave Seconds came in!
    Looks great, one of my favorite AE shoes

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    5th Ave's have just enough character to not be boring like Park Ave's.
    You say boring, I say an elegant and timeless classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
      Side note: first time trying out the 201 last, pleasantly surprised! I think the 201 fits me better than the popular 5 last.
      I agree on this. The 201 last is what the 5 last should be: sleek without constriction. I have a pair of the now-discontinued Rogues, and they are basically a perfect fit. Will probably pull the trigger on some Bartletts once my Strands reach their limit.

Comment

Originally posted by forcemajeure View Post
        I agree on this. The 201 last is what the 5 last should be: sleek without constriction. I have a pair of the now-discontinued Rogues, and they are basically a perfect fit. Will probably pull the trigger on some Bartletts once my Strands reach their limit.
        Funny you should mention the Rogues. Of the other pairs I picked up and was deciding between, one was a pair of Rogues in chili. Decided to keep them after spending the day wearing the Warwicks. The fit is so spot on for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseontheloose View Post
          Waiting for S&M to have a sale so I can finish my suit wardrobe overhaul.
          I wouldn't wait too long. I don't know how frequently S&M has sales and their inventory seems to move pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Me27 View Post
            Looks great, one of my favorite AE shoes

You say boring, I say an elegant and timeless classic.
            I'm a fan of black captoes, but the Park Ave has a shortened toe area that looks stubby, and really doesn't look too elegant to me, so I ended up selling mine. Between the Fifth Ave and Park Ave I'd much rather have the Fifth Ave.
            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

A couple recent purchases:

Justo Gimeno Teba shirt jacket in the below pattern

Python Carmina's for my wife. Similar to this but picked up on eBay, said 1 wear but after 1 wear from my wife they had more sole scratches, for $50.

Comment

Got my 5th Ave in Dark Chili from the 2nds sale. Some minor creasing so I assume they were returned or tried on in store but very minor. Overall they are in great condition and fit very well. Absolutely love the color.

Second is a Polo from BR that I'm not sure about. Fit is good but I just can't decide if I like this shirt itself. I'm debating between it or just a plain black in their luxury touch line. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                  I'm a fan of black captoes, but the Park Ave has a shortened toe area that looks stubby, and really doesn't look too elegant to me, so I ended up selling mine. Between the Fifth Ave and Park Ave I'd much rather have the Fifth Ave.
                  I would actually say the opposite is true. The fifth ave has the stitching closer to the toe. It makes it appear "stubby" IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
                    I would actually say the opposite is true. The fifth ave has the stitching closer to the toe. It makes it appear "stubby" IMHO.
                    In general I think the more details the shoe has, the easier it is to hide unbalanced design, because there are more visual elements that you can focus on in isolation as opposed to viewing the shoe as a whole. On the Fifth ave the brogueing draws my eye more, so I don't scrutinize the proportion of the toe cap to the vamp as much. Similarly, on the strand which has even more brogueing, I honestly have no clue whether the toe cap is short or long because my eye goes straight to the medallion. On a simple cap toe where all you have is a line of stitching, the balance of the shoe stands out a lot more easily, and I notice the stubbyness of the toe area because there aren't other visual details to draw my attention. I also prefer the a sleeker shape for very formal shoes, and the 5-last is rounder compared to a lot of the european options out there, so I think the slightly less formal Fifth Ave looks better on the 5-last compared to the very formal Park Ave as well.

To each their own, Park Ave is AE's best selling shoe so it's not like people think it's ugly. But I think the Fifth Aves that [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9026]mooseontheloose[/MENTION] posted look great, and I distinctly recall wearing my Park Aves and thinking they looked off.

Comment

http://www.styleforum.net/content/ty...t/375/flags/LL

http://cdn.styleforum.net/9/96/350x4..._AECapToe.jpeg

Not the best pics, but illustrative enough. If you consider the stitching on the Park Ave as "neutral", then the Fifth Ave brouging extends from the stitch to the toe. The Strand, conversely, extends the same brouging (not the medallion) from the stich to the laces. I feel that the balance is better on the Strand and the Park Ave. All are great looking shoes! Honestly, I have owned each pair. Just one man's opinion.

Comment

Bought a pair of Alden Cordovan LWB for just under $400 all in from jcrew, 30% off coupon along with an additional 25% off they gave me for messing up my previous killshot order.

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                          Bought a pair of Alden Cordovan LWB for just under $400 all in from jcrew, 30% off coupon along with an additional 25% off they gave me for messing up my previous killshot order.
                          How did you stack the 25% off on top of the 30% off at jcrew.com?

Comment

Originally posted by jackbauer24 View Post
                            How did you stack the 25% off on top of the 30% off at jcrew.com?
                            They gave me 25% off my next order because they messed up my previous order for nike killshots. Customer service let me stack it with the current 30% off promotion.

Comment

Pulled the trigger on Chippewa Plain Toe in Renegade Tan @ JCrew. Promo code randomly started working on the boots today despite still saying shoes don't qualify. Used $100 Jcrew gift card I had lying around too.

Boots retail for ~$410 CAD with tax/shipping and my final price was $235 CAD. Should come this week while I'm away on business so will be fun to get them when I return!

Comment

Originally posted by mooseontheloose View Post
                                Pulled the trigger on Chippewa Plain Toe in Renegade Tan @ JCrew. Promo code randomly started working on the boots today despite still saying shoes don't qualify. Used $100 Jcrew gift card I had lying around too.

Boots retail for ~$410 CAD with tax/shipping and my final price was $235 CAD. Should come this week while I'm away on business so will be fun to get them when I return!

ha i did something similar. I had a 50 dollar giftcard lying around and used the same promo code and got the below blazer for 80 bucks shipped online.

i went into the store today and it does look noticeably different, but i cant tell worth a shit with their mood lighting lol

i may be returning

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...aki-sand/F0530

Comment

Working...
                                X