Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AE for Club Monaco in brown "snuff" suede. Finally found a pair of monks and a suede shoe that works for me, on sale no less, so I'm extremely pleased.

Now, what belt does one wear with these? Do I need a suede belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
      AE for Club Monaco in brown "snuff" suede. Finally found a pair of monks and a suede shoe that works for me, on sale no less, so I'm extremely pleased.

Nice grab! I wouldn't do a suede belt personally -- I have a similar shade of double monks from BR that I tried matching a suede belt to and it was a little over the top/matchy matchy. Instead, I wear them with a dark leather belt and the leather/suede combo looks just fine. Not aware of any faux pas or fault in pairing the two, either.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] I have no experience with suede belts personally, but all that I've read on the main site suggests that not only is wearing suede shoes without a suede belt okay (and vice versa), but one should always wear them separately.
        Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Originally posted by Terminado View Post
          [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] I have no experience with suede belts personally, but all that I've read on the main site suggests that not only is wearing suede shoes without a suede belt okay (and vice versa), but one should always wear them separately.
          I agree that it's fine to wear non-suede belt with suede shoes, but I've never heard of a rule to always wear them separately. What's the reasoning behind that?
          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
            Nice grab! I wouldn't do a suede belt personally -- I have a similar shade of double monks from BR that I tried matching a suede belt to and it was a little over the top/matchy matchy. Instead, I wear them with a dark leather belt and the leather/suede combo looks just fine. Not aware of any faux pas or fault in pairing the two, either.
            Thanks both - I am leaning toward not getting any matching belt (although I do like matching belts--as I have matching for most of my AE shoes, except bourbon which I cover with my normal brown belt). For suede, since they're so distinctive, seems like it'd be taking the matching leather a bit too far. I'll prob just stick with my dark brown calf belt for now. I do like the idea of getting a more casual brown belt to potentially pair with the suede (among other casual looks), maybe something with a weave or other texture.

Comment

[MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] the thought behind it is actually exactly what [MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] said: that wearing a suede belt with suede shoes gives off a really matchy-matchy vibe, kinda similar to when people's outfits are overly color-coded.
              Duncan

Comment

Thanks both - I am leaning toward not getting any matching belt (although I do like matching belts--as I have matching for most of my AE shoes, except bourbon which I cover with my normal brown belt). For suede, since they're so distinctive, seems like it'd be taking the matching leather a bit too far. I'll prob just stick with my dark brown calf belt for now. I do like the idea of getting a more casual brown belt to potentially pair with the suede (among other casual looks), maybe something with a weave or other texture.
                If you do go suede, I'd reach for something with a light pattern (think stitching) or a slightly different hue/texture. Adds some visual interest and breaks the continuity that I think makes it look off. Kind of like matching a ps to a tie.
                Last edited by dangerpenguin; December 5, 2016, 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

Personally I always use a suede belt and just recently took it one step further with a suede watch strap. No need to do it if you dont want to, but I like it! My suggestion if you want a suede belt is wait for the suitsupply outlet next month, there is almost always a good cheap suede belt in there for about $25.

Comment

[MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] the thought behind it is actually exactly what [MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] said: that wearing a suede belt with suede shoes gives off a really matchy-matchy vibe, kinda similar to when people's outfits are overly color-coded.
                    Got it, thanks for the info. The rule against matching tie to PS makes sense to me because it draws attention away from the face; and in general I think that people don't like things being too matchy-matchy when it distracts from an overall outfit. I could see the matchy matchy thing being an issue if you're wearing blue suede shoes with a matching blue suede belt (or in this case even if it's calf) since the color + the material make it flashier, but if you're wearing dark brown suede monks like the above with a dark brown suede belt I think it's perfectly fine.
                    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

[MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] Absolutely! Probably wouldn't be my personal preference, but it's a pretty loose 'rule' as far as I know.
                      Duncan

Comment

I just stick with a dark brown leather belt with dark brown suede shoes. Usually my braided leather one, similar to this:

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          I just stick with a dark brown leather belt with dark brown suede shoes. Usually my braided leather one, similar to this:

Something along this vein is what I was thinking. Plenty of other casual uses as well, but not matching exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                            Personally I always use a suede belt and just recently took it one step further with a suede watch strap. No need to do it if you dont want to, but I like it! My suggestion if you want a suede belt is wait for the suitsupply outlet next month, there is almost always a good cheap suede belt in there for about $25.
                            Appreciate the heads up on that - good to know!

Comment

Seems like I will not be showing off that new briefcase by Filson. I guess this is what you get from getting something from a not so well known company. WelcomeStranger.com really left a bad taste in my mouth. Didn't receive any emails or anything for the past 7 days. Had to just call in myself and got a "oh, sir, your order was actually sold out, even after we put a hold on your credit card. That hold should be gone soon, and you will not be receiving that bag."

Here was me: "Should I not have been notified of this immediately after it was known, instead of calling myself or just sitting on my bum for no package?"

"Ummm, yes sir. Sorry about that."

Lessons learned.

Edit: I would also like to add that the bag is still being sold on their website, not saying that it is sold out, and not stopping me from paying with a credit card. This seems to be extremely unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                                My suggestion if you want a suede belt is wait for the suitsupply outlet next month.
                                You know something we don't, Scofield? You holdin' out on us? [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X