This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
    The Sunspel Riviera's are on sale now over at Matches for $100; about $25 less than what Sunspel charges direct.

http://www.matchesfashion.com/intl/p...-shirt-1041305
    I did end up ordering one of these in Navy. I mean if it's good enough for Bond . . .
    It does fit TTS. I don't know how it will hold up to washing but I will try to remember not to dry this one. It feels nice and it is a mesh/jersey like material which you can basically see through when holding up to the light. I don't think I'd order one of these in a lighter color, but the navy looks great.

And about buying from matchesfashion . . . I thought no one could one up the MrPorter packaging, but they did.

Comment

A couple summery purchases from the past few days.

SuitSupply Hudson
      J. Crew Engineer Striped Ludlow (from a member here)
      Allen Edmonds Kenilworth & Gobi (from another member)
      Last edited by CJMichaelRay; April 19, 2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
        A couple summery purchases from the past few days.

SuitSupply Hudson
        J. Crew Engineer Striped Ludlow (from a member here)
        Allen Edmonds Kenilworth & Gobi (from another member)
        Solid additions!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
          I did end up ordering one of these in Navy. I mean if it's good enough for Bond . . .
          It does fit TTS. I don't know how it will hold up to washing but I will try to remember not to dry this one. It feels nice and it is a mesh/jersey like material which you can basically see through when holding up to the light. I don't think I'd order one of these in a lighter color, but the navy looks great.

And about buying from matchesfashion . . . I thought no one could one up the MrPorter packaging, but they did.
          I ordered a Large and XL in navy as well, but from END (already had an account, have dealt with them before, etc.). I was shocked to see how see-through it looked when held up to the light, but it looks great when I put it on. Out of the box, the XL is a little big but isn't too huge, but the Large fits amazing... but 100% cotton so am debating which to keep now.

Does anyone have experience with how much these will shrink? [MENTION=9168]Vanquish[/MENTION] ? I'm too lazy to split it out and cold wash, hang drying, etc. (at least I'm honest with myself), so am thinking the XL might be the way to go if they shrink up/in at all. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
            I'm too lazy to split it out and cold wash, hang drying, etc. (at least I'm honest with myself), so am thinking the XL might be the way to go if they shrink up/in at all. Thanks in advance!
            I'm the same way so I'm really hoping I remember to pull this out before I toss everything in to the dryer. The other issue is that in my experience, some cotton shrinks much more than other. It's very hit or miss so we might have to wait for Vanquish' response.

I like the shirt so much that I was thinking about ordering one in black that I could maybe wear with light grey chinos. I don't know how versatile a black polo will be though.

Comment

I'm the same way so I'm really hoping I remember to pull this out before I toss everything in to the dryer. The other issue is that in my experience, some cotton shrinks much more than other. It's very hit or miss so we might have to wait for Vanquish' response.

I like the shirt so much that I was thinking about ordering one in black that I could maybe wear with light grey chinos. I don't know how versatile a black polo will be though.
              I have a black polo (Criquet vs. Suns) but I enjoy it--and I rarely wear anything black. Typically I wear it with jeans or my lighter grey chinos.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION]

First, I have a couple of black polos, and I wear them frequently with grey chinos when I need to be more on the "dressed up" side of casual. Both have self/shirt collars, which I think helps them look a little more polished.

Regarding the Sunspels: Do NOT put them in the dryer if you can avoid it. By all reports they will shrink. From experience I can tell you that machine washing in cold and hang drying causes very little to no shrinking and is much gentler on the fabric. These threads on another forum may help you with care and fit:

About the fit of the Riviera Polo

Questions about quality, care and shrinking

It was pretty clear that 4 or 5 years ago Sunspel was having some problems with quality, but everything I've read in the last couple of years seems to indicate that they've sorted that out. I'm happy with my Navy Sunspel bought about 3 years ago. I normally wear a medium and the Sunspel medium is a nice, trim fit.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Bambino V3 on a FFF button stud strap via Huckberry. Was pretty surprised at how loud and rattle-y the automatic mechanism sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I ordered a Large and XL in navy as well, but from END (already had an account, have dealt with them before, etc.). I was shocked to see how see-through it looked when held up to the light, but it looks great when I put it on. Out of the box, the XL is a little big but isn't too huge, but the Large fits amazing... but 100% cotton so am debating which to keep now.

Does anyone have experience with how much these will shrink? @Vanquish ? I'm too lazy to split it out and cold wash, hang drying, etc. (at least I'm honest with myself), so am thinking the XL might be the way to go if they shrink up/in at all. Thanks in advance!
                    If you do not want to hang dry, size up. They shrink pretty badly if you mess up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish View Post
                      If you do not want to hang dry, size up. They shrink pretty badly if you mess up.
                      Thanks, good to know!

Comment

Thanks, good to know!
                        So which option are you going with?

I like the fit of the M and I'm not sure if I size up and let it shrink, if that will fit the same or if it might be a bit tighter or a bit looser. Also, if it shrinks won't the spaces between the mesh shrink too? Thus making it not as airy and breathable?

Comment

I have only washed my Riviera polo 1 time so far and did the delicate cold wash + hang dry. I have heard others complain that the more recent versions of these polos will fade. Just wanted to mention it as a possibility since I think it will be more likely in a warm wash + dryer. So far my medium still fits the same.

For sizing, I am 6'3" 185 and the medium fits well, I would not want the body to be any looser.

Comment

So which option are you going with?

I like the fit of the M and I'm not sure if I size up and let it shrink, if that will fit the same or if it might be a bit tighter or a bit looser. Also, if it shrinks won't the spaces between the mesh shrink too? Thus making it not as airy and breathable?
                            I'm going to get the XL washed and dried, and assuming it doesn't get ruined, will send back the L. A pricey bet, but there isn't really a way around it, since in NYC I don't actually have my own washer/dryer or the luxury to do it myself without going really out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Doctor View Post

Bambino V3 on a FFF button stud strap via Huckberry. Was pretty surprised at how loud and rattle-y the automatic mechanism sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Very nice, the minimalist Bambino is my favorite.

Comment

The rest of my recent purchases came in. Time to go on a spending break for a while!

Got these three shirts form Spier and Mackay. A little itchy outta the box, but I'm sure after I iron out the wrinkles, they'll be fine!

Originally posted by Vanquish View Post
                                Solid additions!
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X