This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Not the cheapest of polos to say the least -- find a deal on them? I have yet to try them, have been going with Criquet polos ( https://www.criquetshirts.com/ ) which I like, but are somewhat unique in their look, so hard to use for 100% of polos, and the sleeves are a bit longer than I'd ideally have.

Any particulars on sizing for the Sunspel polos? Looks like I'm likely an XL in them from sizing I've found online...
    I've seen them get as low as $50. End Clothing has the occasional sale on them. Nordstrom dropped Sunspel last year to 50% or more as I think they were liquidating them. The exchange rate has also been more favorable to US shoppers.

I'm a Medium for the trimmer fit look. I could do a large, maybe, but it's definitely a looser fit. I'm a 40R in the Sienna and have roughly a 40" chest.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish View Post
      I've seen them get as low as $50. End Clothing has the occasional sale on them. Nordstrom dropped Sunspel last year to 50% or more as I think they were liquidating them. The exchange rate has also been more favorable to US shoppers.

I'm a Medium for the trimmer fit look. I could do a large, maybe, but it's definitely a looser fit. I'm a 40R in the Sienna and have roughly a 40" chest.
      Good to know, thanks! I might order a L and XL to see which works best.

Comment

The Sunspel Riviera's are on sale now over at Matches for $100; about $25 less than what Sunspel charges direct.

http://www.matchesfashion.com/intl/p...-shirt-1041305

Comment

Sounds good, I am thinking to try
          Eat what is good for your health but
          Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

And the slippery slope continues...

Comment

And the slippery slope continues...

Damn! What's in there?

Comment

Comment

You have expensive tastes my friend but hey, if you can afford it, all the power to ya. Enjoy your new stuff!

Comment

Does Tom Ford have the quality to back up the name or is it comparable to the Burberry, Gucci, and other fashion labels?

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                      Does Tom Ford have the quality to back up the name or is it comparable to the Burberry, Gucci, and other fashion labels?
                      I would say both yes and yes. Afaik, Tom Ford is made by Zegna, but that doesn't mean Zegna designs it. That said, if you look at the details of a $400 Zegna shirt and a $400 Tom Ford shirt, there are a lot of similarities.

Yes it is a fashion lifestyle brand the way Gucci is. Tom Ford's design was what made Gucci for many years. It is definitely priced as such.

In the context of "dappered," all their items seem a little out of place unless purchased used. I personally am more interested in what someone bought from Target.

Edit: someone else could be interested, though. It just seems a little out of the scope of the general topic here.
                      Last edited by ianr; April 17, 2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                        I would say both yes and yes. Afaik, Tom Ford is made by Zegna, but that doesn't mean Zegna designs it. That said, if you look at the details of a $400 Zegna shirt and a $400 Tom Ford shirt, there are a lot of similarities.

Yes it is a fashion lifestyle brand the way Gucci is. Tom Ford's design was what made Gucci for many years. It is definitely priced as such.

In the context of "dappered," all their items seem a little out of place unless purchased used. I personally am more interested in what someone bought from Target.

Edit: someone else could be interested, though. It just seems a little out of the scope of the general topic here.
                        Not my style, but interested nonetheless. I'd say that Dappered is more about finding good value, which can be done at a variety of price levels and will mean different things for different folks. For example, I buy Ratio shirts, which while not Tom Ford prices, are plenty above cheaper alternatives that can be hard OTR. I also buy nice watches (as plenty of guys do here), which is anything but frugal. I'd like to think that Threads can have room for all of the above, rather than being the opposite of other places where affordable options are scoffed at or insulted.

Comment

Not my style, but interested nonetheless. I'd say that Dappered is more about finding good value, which can be done at a variety of price levels and will mean different things for different folks. For example, I buy Ratio shirts, which while not Tom Ford prices, are plenty above cheaper alternatives that can be hard OTR. I also buy nice watches (as plenty of guys do here), which is anything but frugal. I'd like to think that Threads can have room for all of the above, rather than being the opposite of other places where affordable options are scoffed at or insulted.
                          I think you gave a good point here. It would be nice to see some more higher end stuff on the threads in conjunction with the typical J.Crew, J.Crew factory banana, Suitsupply etc. Not that there's anything wrong with those stores but it's nice to get a perspective of what to aspire to and what designs we should be going after even if some (most?) of us can't afford it. Take that Tom Ford shirt for example, the Tom Ford point collar is so iconic in menswear and really what you should be going for with a point collar on a white dress shirt, something most people wouldn't pick up on this site/threads without people showing it.

Comment

Sure... but if you showed me some boxes that said Ratio on them, would there be value in those? Would you expect people to go find a guy in a motel to buy a knockoff shirt with a Ratio tag? I would factor things like that into the value.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                              Sure... but if you showed me some boxes that said Ratio on them, would there be value in those? Would you expect people to go find a guy in a motel to buy a knockoff shirt with a Ratio tag? I would factor things like that into the value.
                              I'd say that the likelihood of knockoff versions being made of something makes it less likely that you get find value on it, but I think our definition of value is different. However, if you want to label whore, there are plenty of others that are more 'designer' that people on here get. I can see if I have any ferragamo boxes to post later... ?

Comment

I'd say that the likelihood of knockoff versions being made of something makes it less likely that you get find value on it, but I think our definition of value is different. However, if you want to label whore, there are plenty of others that are more 'designer' that people on here get. I can see if I have any ferragamo boxes to post later... ?
                                I may be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that counterfeiting was most common with fashion items that are Veblen goods from brands who exclusively make such things. There is an "everyone knows this is a luxury good" aspect to these things. It's why we see luxury goods advertised broadly: people who can't afford them need to be able to recognize them in order to sell them to people who can afford them. In this case, the box is literally more valuable than what's in the box.

Tom Ford makes $10,000 dresses. If the price was lowered to $5,000, people would want them less. If the same item was sold without the label and the box, people would want it less.

Granted, designer stuff is usually fairly nice as it has to be. However, as was asked earlier, designer goods are not priced as such because they are that much better than the competion. That's all I mean by value; they are terrible value unless you value other people recognizing how much money you spent on something.

Comment

Working...
                                X