This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Now that is a nice watch. Yours perhaps? Any details to go with it?
    Ha, I wish! Seamaster Aqua Terra, not sure of the reference number.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
      Ha, I wish! Seamaster Aqua Terra, not sure of the reference number.
      I dont know why but of all the higher end watches, Omega draws me int he most. Once I get away from banging around other peoples desks and computer equipment, I could probably buy an Aqua Terra and a Speedmaster and wear those two for 90% of my things. I mean, you have to have a couple of beaters for vacations, taking kids to the park, etc but those two are my dynamic duo.

Comment

First post on this thread. Something small (in price), but just wanted to say how impressed I already am. Never worn this type of sneaker before becuase of my foot size, but these are incredible and look really good on my foot. Maybe they'll restock the white ones on East Dane???

Maybe I'm totally fresh to this and everyone is saying "yeah, superga, we know..." But I don't care!!! I love them. This is a sneaker revelation for me.

Last edited by KantStopDario; April 7, 2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KantStopDario View Post
          First post on here. Something small (in price), but just wanted to say how impressed I already am. Never worn this type of sneaker before becuase of my foot size, but these are incredible and look really good on my foot. Maybe they'll restock the white ones on East Dane???

Maybe I'm totally fresh to this and everyone is saying "yeah, superga, we know..." But I don't care!!! I love them. This is a sneaker revelation for me.

nice shoe, I like it.

Comment

First time poster here and I was hoping to get some opinions from you fine fellows this recent purchase - Just picked up a BB fitzgerald fit blazer in charcoal plaid during their recent hautelook event. Really liked the pic online but now that I've got it I'm on the fence if I want to keep it. It's a charcoal base with light gray windowpane and some subtle plaid patterns. Would love to hear your thoughts/comments.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              Now that is a nice watch. Yours perhaps? Any details to go with it?
              http://www.styleforum.net/t/312568/h...d-leather-band

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/oth...ed-510829.html

Comment

The Seiko rendition was very well done. The Amazon model he bought looks a little different from the one he pictured, but if both are the same, I might try to do the exact same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                  The Seiko rendition was very well done. The Amazon model he bought looks a little different from the one he pictured, but if both are the same, I might try to do the exact same thing.
                  I imagine the Seiko options are different by now (that thread is rather old at this point, so models have likely changed some). As someone who is into watches, all the ignorance (not even just differences of opinion) on quartz vs. mechanical/auto is a bit annoying to read, but some interesting concepts there.

I thought about replicating similar to that, as the blue and reddish leather is a nice combo, but then just wound up buying some nicer watches so am glad I didn't waste my time or money (I've found that most of my affordable watches rarely get wrist time now).

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                    I imagine the Seiko options are different by now (that thread is rather old at this point, so models have likely changed some). As someone who is into watches, all the ignorance (not even just differences of opinion) on quartz vs. mechanical/auto is a bit annoying to read, but some interesting concepts there.

I thought about replicating similar to that, as the blue and reddish leather is a nice combo, but then just wound up buying some nicer watches so am glad I didn't waste my time or money (I've found that most of my affordable watches rarely get wrist time now).
                    I'd love to do the same, and just splurge on a watch like that, but I have too many needs/wants (mostly wants, probably actually all wants) to fulfill before jumping into high end watches. My Seikos and Orients have been doing a good enough job, and look great enough to not take away from any outfit I wear that day. Once I'm set in my suiting/tie/footwear, I may venture into higher end watches. But at the moment, I don't see modding and buying cheaper Seikos a waste of time or money. I may later, but cheaper, good quality watches fill a need for me, and fill it well, if only temporarily.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                      I'd love to do the same, and just splurge on a watch like that, but I have too many needs/wants (mostly wants, probably actually all wants) to fulfill before jumping into high end watches. My Seikos and Orients have been doing a good enough job, and look great enough to not take away from any outfit I wear that day. Once I'm set in my suiting/tie/footwear, I may venture into higher end watches. But at the moment, I don't see modding and buying cheaper Seikos a waste of time or money. I may later, but cheaper, good quality watches fill a need for me, and fill it well, if only temporarily.
                      Watches are something that are definitely not needed--plenty of people walking around in super premium clothes/shoes/etc. are wearing $300 or less watches. And definitely didn't mean to say it is a waste of time or money generally -- for me, given that I very closely after that time ventured into high-end watches, it would have wound up being a waste because I wouldn't have used it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Gent View Post
                        First time poster here and I was hoping to get some opinions from you fine fellows this recent purchase - Just picked up a BB fitzgerald fit blazer in charcoal plaid during their recent hautelook event. Really liked the pic online but now that I've got it I'm on the fence if I want to keep it. It's a charcoal base with light gray windowpane and some subtle plaid patterns. Would love to hear your thoughts/comments.

Thanks in advance.
                        Charcoal as a sport coat is tough to pull off. Some think it looks fine but it can more often than not look like you grabbed a suit coat instead of a stand alone coat. It is really up to you but it is hard to find pants that look good with gray sport coats. It is hard to tell from your picture the true color without some natural light.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                          Charcoal as a sport coat is tough to pull off.
                          Color is just one part of the equation. Material/texture, pattern, and construction can all make a jacket look more or less like a suit jacket or a true sportcoat. I have a jacket in a charcoal tweed herringbone that is one of the more versatile odd jackets I own. But a structured, solid charcoal jacket in smooth worsted wool would never look like anything but an orphaned suit jacket.

Whether the jacket in question can stand on its own as an odd jacket is hard to tell. The bolder pattern helps, but the jacket design and construction is quite suit-like (e.g. structured shoulders, flap pockets instead of patch pockets, etc). Hard to tell if the material has much of a texture.
                          Ben

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                            I like it. It's a little bold because it's charcoal and patterned. Charcoal gives a lot of contrast and patterns catch your eye; and there is a lot of contrast between the pattern and the color.

All that said, I like that from time to time, but you need to be confident in pulling it off. It will be hard to find the right trousers to wear with it, but it looks like the khaki works.

If you don't love it or feel good in it, then consider what you spent and put that towards something you do love, even if that's saving a little more and getting something down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                              Looks well-made. If you like it enough for what you paid for it, then by all means keep it and probably shorten the sleeves.
                              However if you're struggling to think of enough ways to wear it, I'd return it.

I agree with them above about charcoal sportcoats: they're difficult to act as blazers, even if they have larger noticeable patterns. It's even harder if the shoulders are strongly structured.
                              If you feel the shoulder is soft enough, you could pair/style this jacket with colorful chinos and a casual solid shirt, assuming they fit really well.

All in all, I'd say unless you got it on very deep clearance, I'd return it.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                                Color is just one part of the equation. Material/texture, pattern, and construction can all make a jacket look more or less like a suit jacket or a true sportcoat. I have a jacket in a charcoal tweed herringbone that is one of the more versatile odd jackets I own. But a structured, solid charcoal jacket in smooth worsted wool would never look like anything but an orphaned suit jacket.

Whether the jacket in question can stand on its own as an odd jacket is hard to tell. The bolder pattern helps, but the jacket design and construction is quite suit-like (e.g. structured shoulders, flap pockets instead of patch pockets, etc). Hard to tell if the material has much of a texture.
                                Brooks Brothers has some great patterns and fabrics but they stick with their tried and true structure which makes buying from them a challenge. Their Red Fleece line went too close to their Thom Browne inspired Black Fleece line so I usually overlook BB unless I am thinking of a tweed jacket but then they are sold out in my size by the time I look.

Also after giving your pattern/texture/material some thought, charcoal seems to work better in the F/W wardrobe than the S/S.

Comment

Working...
                                X