Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently bought McAllisters in merlot with a combination sole and McGregors in burnished chili with a Dainite sole from their recent sale, and I found a pair of pristine shell Macneils for $150 on eBay (recrafted so it looks like they were only worn a few times). So much for the no spend challenge

Comment

Busy morning.

I decided to order a pair of chocolate brown suede chukkas as something different. Then I checked eBay and saw a pair of Mercanti Fiorentini tan wingtips half a size smaller than my current ones, which I love but my feet are swimming in them.

Definitely going to have to free up some cash (and clean out my closet), but pretty excited. Completely overhauled my dress shoe collection in the last month:

Black punch toe boots (Stafford Gunner)
      Brown wingtip boots (Stafford Deacon)
      Burgundy brogue monks (BR Wyatt)
      Tan wingtip oxfords (Mercanti Fiorentini)
      Chocolate suede chukkas (Joseph Abboud)

Nothing super high end in the mix (although both the BR and the MF are pretty solid), but they all look and more importantly fit better than my old shoes. I used to wear thick cotton socks with my shoes but since I switched to standard dress socks, everything ended up too large.

Comment

Originally posted by ninpb View Post
        Got this Mt. Rainier Designs light parka off ebay. 60/40 cotton/nylon. The silver buttons are not usually my style but I went for it. Glad I did.
        I was inspired by this putthison article.
        Well, this was a fun little adventure into this style. Within a 3-4 week span, I touched on 4 different parkas, keeping 2:

Penfield gibson in tan for a steal on ebay. Nice stiff 60/40 material.

Mt. Rainier Designs navy from ebay

Returning small and medium JCrew Wallace and Barnes Ventile hooded jacket: I was annoyingly in between the small and medium. The ventile fabric is really nice and soft.

Comment

With a heavy heart, I sold my IHSH-127 in Red/Black to pick up the IHSH-101TG. I think the TG will be more versatile in the transition from winter to spring seasons. I will eventually buy the IHSH-127 in Red/Black, but that'll be in the fall when they release them again.

IHSH-127 Red/Black http://d7kapbabn19ya.cloudfront.net/...t/ihsh-127.jpg

IHSH-101TG http://d7kapbabn19ya.cloudfront.net/...ihsh-101tg.jpg

Comment

It arrived

Topper switched the stock black strap for a short-length brown OEM one. Pictures don't capture the subtle matte texture of the silver dial. Oh well.

Definitely wears bigger than 35mm. More like 38mm, which is still plenty big on my 6" wrist. This is a lot closer to the understated vintage aesthetic I wanted than the 38mm/20mm Hamilton Intramatic though.
            Ben

Comment

[MENTION=8245]ninpb[/MENTION] I'm a big fan of that look. Jealous of that Ranier. I picked up the Uniqlo Mountain Parka for ~$30 this fall thinking it would probably be disposable, but it has held up well. With the mild & rainy winter, I've probably worn it more than any other jacket. http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men...ka-156377.html

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I thought for sure the 35mm would be too tiny, but you are right, it wears much bigger. Looks perfect in that wrist shot. Beautiful watch.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Topper switched the stock black strap for a short-length brown OEM one. Pictures don't capture the subtle matte texture of the silver dial. Oh well.

Definitely wears bigger than 35mm. More like 38mm, which is still plenty big on my 6" wrist. This is a lot closer to the understated vintage aesthetic I wanted than the 38mm/20mm Hamilton Intramatic though.
                Gorgeous, congrats! Looks great on the wrist, agree that it's the right size on your wrist.

Comment

Congrats on the purchase LBD. Definitely a nice looking watch.

Comment

Got a couple of new arrivals. I was inspired by another board member's post a couple of weeks ago to check out the Danner Mountain Pass, which is a sleeker version of their iconic Mountain Light, and ended up grabbing a pair on sale off JackThreads in gorgeous Horween Rio Latigo leather. They break up my current Danner rotation of original Danner Lights and the Danner Lights by Beckel Canvas quite well.

The pair of Gustin grey heather jeans I ordered a few months ago also just arrived and I'm quite pleased.

Comment

just got my first automatic watch, the SEIKO SARB033

on some locally made leather straps sourced from Etsy

Comment

I just received these in the mail:

I picked these up because, even though I already have a pair of these, I can't bring myself to do "boot" things in them. Also, as much as I absolutely love them, not just for their aesthetics, but also for their comfort, my Aldens come across far too dressy a lot of the times for me...I think it's the damn brass eyelets. Anyways, so I picked up these moc-toe 9030 Beckmans from Amazon. No sale...just used some rewards points to bring the price down. The seller I got them from was The Shoe Rack. Fast shipping. Ordered them on Sunday, got them Thursday from NY.

These have actually been discontinued by Red Wing, so if you're looking to pick up a boot that's similar to the Alden aesthetic without the price tag, these would be it. They have limited sizing left on Amazon from the Shoe Rack in Antique Cigar, but black (9029) appears to be readily available. The difference between the two would be that the Red Wings feel like they were built to take a beating. Like, a REAL beating. The leather on this isn't the soft, pliable, and supple Horween Chromexcel you get with the Aldens; it's tough. My Aldens required no break-in. These are definitely going to need a break in, so I'll probably wear these on the daily for a few weeks. These are also darker in person than in the photos.

On sizing, these have a slimmer profile than my Aldens and are actually more sleek. I'm a true 8D and the 8D fits true to size...wearing thick socks is going to be VERY snug...so, unlike other Red Wing models I've read about, you're going to want to stay TTS when ordering these if you can find them. You may even want to size up half a size if you plan on wearing super thick socks. Def if you wear insoles.

Pros:

- Alden aesthetic at Red Wing prices.
                        - Solid, and I mean solid construction.
                        - Lug sole.
                        - Waxed laces are VERY substantial. These won't be breaking like Alden ones.
                        - Very sleek. A happy medium between a dressy and rugged.

Cons:

- Waxed laces are so waxy that they're a pain in the ass. Might loosen up as the boots break in.
                        - Boot throat is tight, so getting them on and off is a bit of a pain. Would be perfect for speed hooks.
                        - Still expensive.
                        - Good luck finding your sizing in brown.
                        - Now I need to bring myself to beat them up and do boot things in them...which is why I bought them. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
                          I just received these in the mail:

I picked these up because, even though I already have a pair of these, I can't bring myself to do "boot" things in them. Also, as much as I absolutely love them, not just for their aesthetics, but also for their comfort, my Aldens come across far too dressy a lot of the times for me...I think it's the damn brass eyelets. Anyways, so I picked up these moc-toe 9030 Beckmans from Amazon. No sale...just used some rewards points to bring the price down. The seller I got them from was The Shoe Rack. Fast shipping. Ordered them on Sunday, got them Thursday from NY.

These have actually been discontinued by Red Wing, so if you're looking to pick up a boot that's similar to the Alden aesthetic without the price tag, these would be it. They have limited sizing left on Amazon from the Shoe Rack in Antique Cigar, but black (9029) appears to be readily available. The difference between the two would be that the Red Wings feel like they were built to take a beating. Like, a REAL beating. The leather on this isn't the soft, pliable, and supple Horween Chromexcel you get with the Aldens; it's tough. My Aldens required no break-in. These are definitely going to need a break in, so I'll probably wear these on the daily for a few weeks. These are also darker in person than in the photos.

On sizing, these have a slimmer profile than my Aldens and are actually more sleek. I'm a true 8D and the 8D fits true to size...wearing thick socks is going to be VERY snug...so, unlike other Red Wing models I've read about, you're going to want to stay TTS when ordering these if you can find them. You may even want to size up half a size if you plan on wearing super thick socks. Def if you wear insoles.

Pros:

- Alden aesthetic at Red Wing prices.
                          - Solid, and I mean solid construction.
                          - Lug sole.
                          - Waxed laces are VERY substantial. These won't be breaking like Alden ones.
                          - Very sleek. A happy medium between a dressy and rugged.

Cons:

- Waxed laces are so waxy that they're a pain in the ass. Might loosen up as the boots break in.
                          - Boot throat is tight, so getting them on and off is a bit of a pain. Would be perfect for speed hooks.
                          - Still expensive.
                          - Good luck finding your sizing in brown.
                          - Now I need to bring myself to beat them up and do boot things in them...which is why I bought them. :-/
                          Very nice! I have my Red Wing for Jcrew Classic Moc Toes to do boot stuff in. Got them on heavy discount, like $140 or something. My favorite things about them is the Vibram lug sole and speed hooks.

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...1349/E1349.jsp
                          http://i.imgur.com/ojM8tdo.jpg?1
                          http://i.imgur.com/UxhzfBp.jpg?1

Bought blue Benjos laces for my Ironside Indys. I like how they pop a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/RgzwPHX.jpg?1

Comment

Just ordered two LBM jackets in two different sizes to see how/if they fit me. This is exciting. Haven't been monitoring yoox to see trends, but I think I got them for pretty decent price.

Comment

Tie and suit from this week.

Comment

My love affair with Loake 1880 continues as my Hyde boots have finally arrived from Pediwear.

Comment

Working...
                                X