X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doomx View Post
    Today's finds.
    All from AD56 Milan.
    Beautiful again. What caliber tie would you compare those to and how much did they cost?

Comment

The are much better drape and feel than anything I have (Talbott, JPress, Chipp, Suitsupply, Berg&Berg). I haven't tried anything higher end than that. These were $35, $35 and $15 euros since they were half off and on clerance. They also had 7 fold ones for $75 but most of them were wool ties and I didn't want to spend that much for a seasonal item. I also got a nice wool silk scarf for $30.

Comment

The are much better drape and feel than anything I have (Talbott, JPress, Chipp, Suitsupply, Berg&Berg). I haven't tried anything higher end than that. These were $35, $35 and $15 euros since they were half off and on clerance. They also had 7 fold ones for $75 but most of them were wool ties and I didn't want to spend that much for a seasonal item. I also got a nice wool silk scarf for $30.
        Ok that's it, I'm booking a flight to Milan for Sunday [emoji41]. Keep posting anything else you pick up!

Comment

I am not sure that these prices are routine based on some research that I have done on SF. I think I lucked out based on end of season timing. The two haberdasheries that I visited though were phenomenal. Not sure I would ever come back to Milan but it has been a sartorial paradise.

Comment

I am not sure that these prices are routine based on some research that I have done on SF. I think I lucked out based on end of season timing. The two haberdasheries that I visited though were phenomenal. Not sure I would ever come back to Milan but it has been a sartorial paradise.
            Yea I don't think most things are very cheap over there but it would still be fun to make the rounds through all the places I couldn't afford.

Comment

I've bought and returned a shitload of watches (including the Seiko SARB) in the past couple months, not ever quite finding what I wanted.

So yesterday I finally bit the bullet... ordered this, the elegant dress watch of my dreams. (Ok in my dreams it's probably a Patek or a ALS but this is pretty dreamy too.) Got a great deal off MSRP from an AD I've purchased from on numerous occasions before (Rob at Topper Jeweler's - highly recommended if you're in the market). Set to arrive Wednesday.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                I've bought and returned a shitload of watches (including the Seiko SARB) in the past couple months, not ever quite finding what I wanted.

So yesterday I finally bit the bullet... ordered this, the elegant dress watch of my dreams. (Ok in my dreams it's probably a Patek or a ALS but this is pretty dreamy too.) Got a great deal off MSRP from an AD I've purchased from on numerous occasions before (Rob at Topper Jeweler's - highly recommended if you're in the market). Set to arrive Wednesday.

Nice looking watch. I've learned not to buy watches off of Massdrop because of the lack of returns. I bought a $120 Seiko that I loved from the pics, but was incredibly underwhelmed when I received it. Had to spend another $80 to mod it and make it wearable.

It was this watch: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seiko-snzh-watch

After modding: http://i.imgur.com/JGJib0q.jpg?1

Comment

Very nice, congrats! Is that the original or the 38? I have toyed with the idea of a Zurich; Orion is a bit small for my wrists, but such a beautiful watch -- will be interested in seeing it once it's in!

Comment

Nice Ben! You finally gave up on trying to scratch the itch with substitutes and just get the one you really wanted. I bought the Rodina version a while back to see if I'd like the watch before buying the real thing. I got bored with it so I knew the Nomos wasn't for me. I think I'm more in to Chrono, Dive, or Vintage Military looking watches.

Comment

Love that watch LBD. clean, modern, simple. All the old guys at my firm (architecture) rock movados. Those were the watch of choice i think in the postmodern 80's and it kinda stuck. That Nomos is way sexier though.

Comment

Congrats on the purchase! I was underwhelmed when I saw and handled a Nomos in the flesh. The are doing great things but it just wasn't for me. Also once you get to the larger sizes the proportions aren't great due to the same movement used in the 38 and 42mm models. Those 4mm can throw off the aesthetics big time.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          Very nice, congrats! Is that the original or the 38? I have toyed with the idea of a Zurich; Orion is a bit small for my wrists, but such a beautiful watch -- will be interested in seeing it once it's in!
                          Looks good, hope when you have for real it gives great feeling on wearing it too.
                          Eat what is good for your health but
                          Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                            Is that a new or a vintage model?
                            It's a 2010 reissue of a vintage design.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                              I ordered the original 35mm, which I'm confident is the right size for me. Even 35mm will probably wear biggish on my small wrist, since it is all dial with long lugs. (I flipped a similarly-styled Hamilton Intramatic 38mm a couple years ago because, while not really "too big," it didn't have the vintage proportions I was looking for.)

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                              Nice Ben! You finally gave up on trying to scratch the itch with substitutes and just get the one you really wanted. I bought the Rodina version a while back to see if I'd like the watch before buying the real thing. I got bored with it so I knew the Nomos wasn't for me. I think I'm more in to Chrono, Dive, or Vintage Military looking watches.
                              I tend to buy and wear sports watches but I always do a double-take on the rare occasion when I see a guy wearing a nicely proportioned dress watch or vintage watch on a leather strap. Even though sports watches may be more "interesting" when viewed in their own right, I've observed that a simple three-hander on leather generally provides the best overall aesthetic compliment to any business-casual-or-better outfit. (Despite being a fan of vintage Rolex and the like, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the choices on display in this article on watches spotted at a recent fashion event. They are nice watches, to be sure, but IMO they look gauche in this context.)

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                              Love that watch LBD. clean, modern, simple. All the old guys at my firm (architecture) rock movados. Those were the watch of choice i think in the postmodern 80's and it kinda stuck. That Nomos is way sexier though.
                              Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                              Congrats on the purchase! I was underwhelmed when I saw and handled a Nomos in the flesh. The are doing great things but it just wasn't for me. Also once you get to the larger sizes the proportions aren't great due to the same movement used in the 38 and 42mm models. Those 4mm can throw off the aesthetics big time.
                              I think it's easy to be underwhelmed by a Nomos watch at first glance because of their simplicity. But in my own watch-collecting experience, I've found that, the simpler and more understated a watch is, the more my appreciation for it develops over time. Radical simplicity is at the heart of the Bauhaus aesthetic. I appreciate that more as I've moved away from the peacocking and #menswear aesthetics and embraced a personal style that is more neutral and practical over the past few years.
                              Ben

Comment

I ordered the original 35mm, which I'm confident is the right size for me. Even 35mm will probably wear biggish on my small wrist, since it is all dial with long lugs. (I flipped a similarly-styled Hamilton Intramatic 38mm a couple years ago because, while not really "too big," it didn't have the vintage proportions I was looking for.)

I tend to buy and wear sports watches but I always do a double-take on the rare occasion when I see a guy wearing a nicely proportioned dress watch or vintage watch on a leather strap. Even though sports watches may be more "interesting" when viewed in their own right, I've observed that a simple three-hander on leather generally provides the best overall aesthetic compliment to any business-casual-or-better outfit. (Despite being a fan of vintage Rolex and the like, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the choices on display in this article on watches spotted at a recent fashion event. They are nice watches, to be sure, but IMO they look gauche in this context.)

I think it's easy to be underwhelmed by a Nomos watch at first glance because of their simplicity. But in my own watch-collecting experience, I've found that, the simpler and more understated a watch is, the more my appreciation for it develops over time. Radical simplicity is at the heart of the Bauhaus aesthetic. I appreciate that more as I've moved away from the peacocking and #menswear aesthetics and embraced a personal style that is more neutral and practical over the past few years.
                                Totally makes sense -- I've been getting ok with the idea of smaller watches, even with a wrist my size, but the Nomos still was a bit small for me when I tried it on. I think the original 35mm is a better proportioned watch, which also is why I'm hesitant on the larger models. Beautiful styling and the movements, just gorgeous for anything close to that price range.

I agree with you on the pics in that article -- the best looking ones were the vintage Omegas that were thin and simple (the grey APRO was a neat look as well). I am likely waiting to purchase a true dress watch until another milestone. Not that I'll be getting rid of my SD or Speedy, but definitely enjoying simpler designs more as of late.

Comment

Working...
                                X