Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I could see what [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] bought. No photos came up on my end.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      Wish I could see what [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] bought. No photos came up on my end.
      Its a pair of Carminas.

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] Those are so, so nice!

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          These finally showed up so I decided to take a couple pics this morning.

This is the OneShoe GMTO right? Such a beauty. If I didn't have a similar Carmina already I would have joined that order. I still should have joined several more GMTO than the measly 1 that I did, feeling the regret now as they slowly trickle in. Not sure if I like the woven Chelseas or the navy shell Jodhpur recently posted on SF more. No updates on my brown split toe GMTO yet :\

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
            This is the OneShoe GMTO right? Such a beauty. If I didn't have a similar Carmina already I would have joined that order. I still should have joined several more GMTO than the measly 1 that I did, feeling the regret now as they slowly trickle in. Not sure if I like the woven Chelseas or the navy shell Jodhpur recently posted on SF more. No updates on my brown split toe GMTO yet :\
            This is the "One Shoe" and here's the funny thing about the price increase everyone was starting to complain about, shoe trees, shipping, and duties are now covered for the extra ~$100 for a base shoe. Skoak added some trees to my order but I asked for them to be taken off as I did not want to pay but in the future if I order from Skoak/Carmina Main site/Another Vendor, I assume these will be included some I won't have a problem with it.

BTW, that split toe is gorgeous and one is on my list for the future. Thinking another shade of suede and a split toe but not in a rush. May do Meermin for the suede but split toe will be in a higher grade shoe category as they just do it better. I'd love a EG Dover but wouldn't we all?

Comment

@JBarwick - that's a good point, I'm going to be hit with some random amount of duties, at least now I'll know. There was a polo or brown suede split toe for purchase from Skoak at the time but I'm glad I went w/ the vegano marron GMTO because I realized that the suede options were not as versatile as what I was looking for. I have a pair of Meermin suede (navy Ron loafers), they're alright. Carmina just rocks suede like nobody's business though. I'm looking forward to upgrading most of my shoes to Carmina over the next year or so, I have maybe 12 pairs in my rotation right now, mostly from AE. I would like to add a couple more styles (austerity or normal wingtip bal, a chelsea or jodhpur, and a single monk strap) but they'll mostly be 1:1 or 2:1 swaps. Unfortunately I don't like what Carmina does for a plaintoe blucher so I'll have to save up for the RL Marlow there.

In reference to the Dover, man, I so so so wish that my Carmina GMTO was more like the Dover where the side walls are one piece of leather instead of 2 overlapping pieces; Carmina does some of their split toes this way but I guess whoever designed the MTO felt it would be too similar. (Ex. http://gentlemensfootwear.com/collec...by-in-chestnut - by the way, GF has some unreal EG shoes in stock right now)
              Last edited by LosRockets; January 14, 2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] wow...gotta say you have some great tastes. think your WIWT is actually what made me get on the carmina train. only have 1 pair still (navy suede), but damn if seeing those dont make me want to get more...

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                  @JBarwick - that's a good point, I'm going to be hit with some random amount of duties, at least now I'll know. There was a polo or brown suede split toe for purchase from Skoak at the time but I'm glad I went w/ the vegano marron GMTO because I realized that the suede options were not as versatile as what I was looking for. I have a pair of Meermin suede (navy Ron loafers), they're alright. Carmina just rocks suede like nobody's business though. I'm looking forward to upgrading most of my shoes to Carmina over the next year or so, I have maybe 12 pairs in my rotation right now, mostly from AE. I would like to add a couple more styles (austerity or normal wingtip bal, a chelsea or jodhpur, and a single monk strap) but they'll mostly be 1:1 or 2:1 swaps. Unfortunately I don't like what Carmina does for a plaintoe blucher so I'll have to save up for the RL Marlow there.

In reference to the Dover, man, I so so so wish that my Carmina GMTO was more like the Dover where the side walls are one piece of leather instead of 2 overlapping pieces; Carmina does some of their split toes this way but I guess whoever designed the MTO felt it would be too similar. (Ex. http://gentlemensfootwear.com/collec...by-in-chestnut - by the way, GF has some unreal EG shoes in stock right now)
                  The austerity's all seem to be on the Simpson last which scares me for a non in-person purchase since it is a narrow last. I have some cheaper Chelsea's I am currently happy with though a little dandy with a pointed toe. As for Jodhpur's which seem to be the current rage, have you tried any on in person? I tried a pair on from another brand which had the same last as a pair I currently own and the way the boot flexed when I walked was just weird. They were on like super sale too so not buying them was tough but the boot just felt off.

GF makes me mad as their MTO pre-sales only go up to UK10. WTF is that? I am a UK11 in the Rain last so I would have to call to discuss ordering.

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                  [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] wow...gotta say you have some great tastes. think your WIWT is actually what made me get on the carmina train. only have 1 pair still (navy suede), but damn if seeing those dont make me want to get more...
                  They are great shoes if you can justify the price. With the recent increase you have to justify the expensive shoe trees but what the hell...might as well.

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] - the simpson is a weird last for sure, I bought my chocolate suede captoe bals sight unseen from SF, I followed the conventional wisdom and went down only a 1/2 size. Fit isn't great but it'll do, had I gone down a full size they would have been too narrow for sure. I've not tried any Jodhpur in person, I'm a big fan of the Christian Kimber ones along w/ Carmina's. How do you use your chelseas, do they get much wear? I like them in theory but I worry they'd just sit on my shelf and I'd keep reaching for my suede chukkas instead.

Comment

[MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] - My Chelseas are black and get about an every other week wear. I tend wear them with gray pants and usually on days with a gray or black sweater. Most of the fits with them are a monochromatic look. With brown I would wear them more but don't know if I would want a mid-brown or a darker brown boot. I do not own chukkas so that option is out for me.

Someone is unloading some size 12 Carmina's on the bay which has me tempted but not in shoes I am looking for. My Carmina penny loafers in navy calf hardly get worn.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        @LosRockets - My Chelseas are black and get about an every other week wear. I tend wear them with gray pants and usually on days with a gray or black sweater. Most of the fits with them are a monochromatic look. With brown I would wear them more but don't know if I would want a mid-brown or a darker brown boot. I do not own chukkas so that option is out for me.

Someone is unloading some size 12 Carmina's on the bay which has me tempted but not in shoes I am looking for. My Carmina penny loafers in navy calf hardly get worn.
                        Navy calf is tough. I guess I find lots of opportunities for my navy suede loafers because I wear a lot of cream linen in the summertime, they also work well with gray wool trousers provided they're cuffed and have a smaller leg opening (like closer to 8") IMO.

Comment

Bought this today. $100 even. Any recs on pant color to go with besides denim?

Comment

Recent Purchases

Originally posted by ryan_betts View Post

Bought this today. $100 even. Any recs on pant color to go with besides denim?
                            Navy, mid gray, some shades of green would work as well. Can you post some in person pics when you get it? I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                              Navy, mid gray, some shades of green would work as well. Can you post some in person pics when you get it? I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on that one.
                              Thanks.

Will do. I have it in possession now, just not with me.

Really nice for $100. Actually had old gift cards for Amex, so only paid $30 in cash for it.

Might do navy wool flannel or green cords tomorrow....

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_betts View Post
                                Thanks.

Will do. I have it in possession now, just not with me.

Really nice for $100. Actually had old gift cards for Amex, so only paid $30 in cash for it.

Might do navy wool flannel or green cords tomorrow....
                                Both of those should work really well. Post a WIWT.

Comment

Working...
                                X