Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Purchases

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I own a Canada Goose parka, the Chilliwhack I think (bomber style). Absolute overkill for anything above about 0°F, especially if you are doing any kind of physical activity at all. I would feel silly wearing it in public - these things are designed for people on expedition in the Antarctic, not the grocery store. But when it's 7am and I'm crawling out of my warm bed to let the dog out to pee in -20°F and wind, it's hard to imagine a coat I'd rather wear.

    I'm baffled by the images I see of celebrities walking around wearing these things in day-to-day life. I would be a waterfall of sweat.
    Ben

    Comment


      Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      I own a Canada Goose parka, the Chilliwhack I think (bomber style). Absolute overkill for anything above about 0°F, especially if you are doing any kind of physical activity at all. I would feel silly wearing it in public - these things are designed for people on expedition in the Antarctic, not the grocery store. But when it's 7am and I'm crawling out of my warm bed to let the dog out to pee in -20°F and wind, it's hard to imagine a coat I'd rather wear.

      I'm baffled by the images I see of celebrities walking around wearing these things in day-to-day life. I would be a waterfall of sweat.
      I've always been a bit perplexed by this too. In NYC, I'm rarely outside for extended periods of time unless I'm walking (rather briskly, it's NYC speed after all) somewhere that's a bit away, with the exception being when I'm standing in a subway station waiting for the train (where there isn't wind chill). Any real outdoor coat like a CG would be severe overkill for me and I'd be soaked through my clothes worse than ... during the summers when I'm standing in a subway station waiting for the train (where it's effectively a trash-scented sauna and I'm wearing a suit). A barbour (unlined) serves just fine with some layers underneath and a scarf and/or gloves, and even then it's sometime a bit much with the in-and-out of heated places.

      Comment


        Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
        I've always been a bit perplexed by this too. In NYC, I'm rarely outside for extended periods of time unless I'm walking (rather briskly, it's NYC speed after all) somewhere that's a bit away, with the exception being when I'm standing in a subway station waiting for the train (where there isn't wind chill). Any real outdoor coat like a CG would be severe overkill for me and I'd be soaked through my clothes worse than ... during the summers when I'm standing in a subway station waiting for the train (where it's effectively a trash-scented sauna and I'm wearing a suit). A barbour (unlined) serves just fine with some layers underneath and a scarf and/or gloves, and even then it's sometime a bit much with the in-and-out of heated places.
        I am not sure we live in the same nyc. New York had one of its coldest winters ever and there is plenty of wind whether your waiting for the subway or walking along madison. Really this jacket is good for 2-3 months while the rest of the months you could get away with a light down or top coat

        Interested to see what size people got their size. Again i am 5'5" 140lbs 30" waist 34s jacket got a small

        Comment


          Originally posted by Joseph Park View Post
          I am not sure we live in the same nyc. New York had one of its coldest winters ever and there is plenty of wind whether your waiting for the subway or walking along madison. Really this jacket is good for 2-3 months while the rest of the months you could get away with a light down or top coat

          Interested to see what size people got their size. Again i am 5'5" 140lbs 30" waist 34s jacket got a small
          I imagine some of this may be a result of personal insulation differences (I have more than you at 6'3, 225 lbs, 36", 43L), I was born and raised in upstate NY so I'm used to a lot worse than NYC winters, and that I may be wearing more layers than you. I prefer layering to having one super warm layer, since it allows me to shed to match the highly varying levels of temp when going from outdoors, indoors and in between (i.e., subway); it's also because for work I am often in a suit as well. Regardless, it's a nice coat, enjoy it

          Comment


            I grew up in Maine so NYC winters are mild compared to what I experienced growing up, yet they are still very cold.

            Canada Goose was taking forever to process my order so I called because I was also worried about the sleeve length which is pretty long on me and I asked if I should size down to the XS which would probably fit chest wise but tight waist wise or stick with the S Chateau. The CS is really friendly and explained there is .5" difference between the arm lengths (XS VS S) and she even recommended the "Fusion" fit which she said was made for Asians. Being Asian my ears lit up because I didn't know if she was being serious or being racist because she said Asian's have shorter arms. Anyway canceled my ordered and Googled Fusion fit and found Moose Jaw based in Michigan. No tax to NYC and free second day shipping and they had 1 black small Chateau Fusion left, purchased it but after reading about the Fusion fit I read that it is 1-2 inches (based on model) shorter than normal. I planed on wearing the Chateau as an overcoat and in the regular version it hung maybe 2" inches over a suit jacket. While I love the buttons on the Chateau for looks I switched to the Langford Fusion small black which runs longer.

            Moose Jaw is an authorized retailer and has a great selection. The CS rep wasn't able to modify my order but rather cancel it and place a new one. Since both jackets are $825 the CS rep didn't want my card to be flagged for two identical charges (plus the fact that I have a pending charge for $825 from CG) so he gave me 15% off so the Langford costed me $701.21. The only problem is I have over $2300 worth of pending charges

            I am really looking forward to trying the Fusion fit, hopefully it isn't too snug. Based on numbers it seems like a Fusion small is in between a regular XS and S.
            http://www.thewoolpress.com/resource...IZE_CHART5.jpg
            http://www.canada-goose.com/us/en/si...ng-charts.html

            Keep you all updated

            Comment


              Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
              I imagine some of this may be a result of personal insulation differences (I have more than you at 6'3, 225 lbs, 36", 43L), I was born and raised in upstate NY so I'm used to a lot worse than NYC winters, and that I may be wearing more layers than you. I prefer layering to having one super warm layer, since it allows me to shed to match the highly varying levels of temp when going from outdoors, indoors and in between (i.e., subway); it's also because for work I am often in a suit as well. Regardless, it's a nice coat, enjoy it
              The CG website says they are for extreme conditions. I never thought of NY winters as being extreme. I guess different people have different sensitivities to cold.
              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

              Comment


                Crossover from the Jcrew thread. Over the Thanksgiving week, I purchased two suits from Jcrew. The Heathered Flannel Wool suits in the Crosby Fit.

                http://i.imgur.com/EksWiCs.jpg?2

                Suit: Jcrew Crosby in Warm Charcoal
                Shirt: Nordstrom Trim Fit
                Tie: Chipp Neckwear Grenadine in Wine
                Watch: Orient Bambino

                http://i.imgur.com/p4wkgwr.jpg?2

                Suit: Jcrew Crosby in Night Shadow
                Shirt: Nordstrom Trim Fit
                Tie: Berg & Berg Solid Wool
                Watch: Orient Bambino

                Comment


                  Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                  Crossover from the Jcrew thread. Over the Thanksgiving week, I purchased two suits from Jcrew. The Heathered Flannel Wool suits in the Crosby Fit.

                  http://i.imgur.com/EksWiCs.jpg?2

                  Suit: Jcrew Crosby in Warm Charcoal
                  Shirt: Nordstrom Trim Fit
                  Tie: Chipp Neckwear Grenadine in Wine
                  Watch: Orient Bambino

                  http://i.imgur.com/p4wkgwr.jpg?2

                  Suit: Jcrew Crosby in Night Shadow
                  Shirt: Nordstrom Trim Fit
                  Tie: Berg & Berg Solid Wool
                  Watch: Orient Bambino
                  Thanks for posting these. Did you try on a Ludlow suit too? If so, did the two suits fit differently? I love the fit of the Ludlow sport coats and blazers, although they are snug in the shoulders and back for me. However, I want something that looks a little more conservative for a business suit. I know the Crosby has more room in the arms and chest. Based on your pictures, it doesn't appear to be excessively roomy.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
                    Thanks for posting these. Did you try on a Ludlow suit too? If so, did the two suits fit differently? I love the fit of the Ludlow sport coats and blazers, although they are snug in the shoulders and back for me. However, I want something that looks a little more conservative for a business suit. I know the Crosby has more room in the arms and chest. Based on your pictures, it doesn't appear to be excessively roomy.
                    Sounds like Crosby would be perfect for you. I used to wear Ludlow in size 40, but I outgrew them in shoulders, chest, back, and waist. I tried it in 42 with the same length, and it fit well enough, but a tad big everywhere. Tried on the Crosby in 40, and it was spot on. I better not gain anymore weight, but it's not overly tight anywhere either.

                    Comment


                      Just scored these Aldens at Brooks Brothers for $240.

                      http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/dem...01520&jb=74802

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                        Just scored these Aldens at Brooks Brothers for $240.

                        http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/dem...01520&jb=74802
                        Wow! Well done! Those boots are awesome and $240 is a screaming good deal on them.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                          Wow! Well done! Those boots are awesome and $240 is a screaming good deal on them.
                          Thanks! I'm really excited to start wearing them with my denim and chinos.

                          Comment


                            Care to share how you got them for that price?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
                              Care to share how you got them for that price?
                              Long story short, there was a mistake and the store manager honored the price.

                              Comment


                                Cool! Maybe i need to visit my local Brooks Brothers to see if they have any mistakes on the shelves.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X