X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrewrg
    replied
    Originally posted by mark4 View Post
    Sometimes glued it means the insole comes out with difficulty, and in pieces with little bits still stuck to the sole of the shoe.
    Yeah, Florsheims have been like that in my experience--the insole looked like my first beard after I took it out Also agreed, J&M is Florsheim to me--not overly expensive, pretty good looking, and they do last years and years.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

Lol I'm off the grass!
    same here, I usually wear SuperFeet to provide more heel/arch support since I'm on my feet all day. On closer investigation of the Rhodes boots, the foam insole comes right out, baaaarely glued in there. I'll probably slip the green SuperFeets in there.
    Hmmm. Glued in and comes out easily is workable. I wonder if all the Rhodes boots are built like that? Sometimes glued it means the insole comes out with difficulty, and in pieces with little bits still stuck to the sole of the shoe. Usually removing the laces so you can open things up as wide as possible and using a spackling or putty knife can get those stuck on foam bits up though. For now I'm going to stick with my J&M ones because they were inexpensive, and while shoe snobs who know what they're looking at might sneer, they look pretty good. Said shoe snobs are getting fewer and farther between as time goes on anyway. When they wear out though this info will be useful.

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Originally posted by mark4 View Post
    I'll end my old man yells and clouds rant there.
    Lol I'm off the grass!
    same here, I usually wear SuperFeet to provide more heel/arch support since I'm on my feet all day. On closer investigation of the Rhodes boots, the foam insole comes right out, baaaarely glued in there. I'll probably slip the green SuperFeets in there.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied

My cheap boots bit the dust. Got a pair of Huckberry Rhodes Dolomite boots during the current sale. Fully gussetted!
    1) this is way less snow than the forecast 2) way too much boots for this snow, but feels good stunting!
    Sigh. I wish I could wear those but the higher end boot manufacturing industry has universally decided that removable insoles are for some reason undesirable. Seriously, has anyone, anywhere, had a problem with removable insoles in boots? Like, something went wrong with the insole because it wasn't sewn in? Because, I have never, ever had such an issue in a half century of living. And now that I'm a half century old my feet are finicky and I need orthotics, which means to get a proper fit I need to be able to pull out the standard issue insole that boots and shoes come with, otherwise the boot will be too tight in the instep with both the regular insole and my orthotic stacked on top of it.

It's not like it's impossible to make a Goodyear welted boot with a removable insole...I have a couple of pairs of work boots with this construction (Chippewas and Thorogoods) and both pair had removable insoles. But for some reason any boot that's a hair dressier than those they've all decided unanimously to sew in the footbeds. So, I make do with Johnston and Murphy, which are sub standard but look OK, are comfortable because they have removable insoles. Unfortunately I gotta throw them out when the soles get too worn out. I'd like to reuse but the shoe industry has decided unanimously that those of us who need orthotics don't deserve nice things. I'll end my old man yells and clouds rant there.

Leave a comment:

• jvargas
    replied
    Thanks I might have to pick some up. Boots are become a hobby of mine

Grip is actually great! No snow last night and today, only ice, and I was able to walk up a hill covered with drops of ice. Better than my poor 4 year old son and his galoshes. Big old rubber treads, about a quarter inch deep.
    I'm in the same situation, if it really snowed, I'd wear my technical boots. But I could wear these in a lot more situations than I could my previous pair of brown leather boots with rubber sole. The dark brown color, I would call handsome, the tan leather color I would call pretty. Both great looking, but I picked Brown.

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Originally posted by jvargas View Post
    How’s grip? I was looking at those for a supplement to my technical boots.

Grip is actually great! No snow last night and today, only ice, and I was able to walk up a hill covered with drops of ice. Better than my poor 4 year old son and his galoshes. Big old rubber treads, about a quarter inch deep.
    I'm in the same situation, if it really snowed, I'd wear my technical boots. But I could wear these in a lot more situations than I could my previous pair of brown leather boots with rubber sole. The dark brown color, I would call handsome, the tan leather color I would call pretty. Both great looking, but I picked Brown.
    Last edited by andrewrg; February 18, 2021, 08:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jvargas
    replied
    How’s grip? I was looking at those for a supplement to my technical boots.

My cheap boots bit the dust. Got a pair of Huckberry Rhodes Dolomite boots during the current sale. Fully gussetted!
    1) this is way less snow than the forecast 2) way too much boots for this snow, but feels good stunting!

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheJasonaissance
    replied
    I recently picked up this $12 sweatshirt from target bc it looked like a sweater I would have bought from Gap circa 1999. Small price to pay for nostalgia, and it’s a shockingly comfy and looked good over a button down.

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-color...77#lnk=sametab

Leave a comment:

• RobinSm89
    replied
    My last purchase was sweatpants from Levice, I just have nothing to wear at home, so I went in and bought myself some sportswear)

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Spier's Minnis Green Seersucker suit. Their liquidation and an upcoming trip to the Big Easy in March yielded proper timing.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Most recent purchase is also one of the most frivolous - Todd Snyder Wool Cruiser Jacket.

Not only do I already have FAR more coats than anyone in So Cal will ever need, we hardly go out since most of our favorite restaurants are closed and I don't know when I'll be traveling again. I tried so hard to resist - it was in my cart for about a week until my love of nice coats and outerwear got the best of me.

Leave a comment:

• patelsd
    replied
    I've never contributed to this post before but here goes: I bought 2 pairs of Fabletics 7" franchise shorts with the liner built-in. They were $24 total if you sign up for the their scam (which you should immediately cancel). First fit, they were great, but I've found that as I've washed them a couple of times, I feel like my buttcrack is always out in these, they're to the point I don't even wear them because its such a concern.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Charles
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Mr. Charles I hope you post a picture when the jacket shows up. I'd really like to see it.
    The jacket arrived today. It's beautiful, but a bit more snug through the chest than I wanted (so much for size charts and measurements...) so I've initiated an exchange to size up. Once the larger jacket arrives, and fits better (I hope) I'll be sure to post up some pictures.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Mr. Charles I hope you post a picture when the jacket shows up. I'd really like to see it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X