X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR View Post
    Great info. Thanks! It was a review I saw on the cask strength that made me hesitant so this is good feedback to balance it out. We like a high-proof just fine but tend to lean toward rye for those. And, especially for my wife, we typically prefer bourbons with sweeter notes like you're describing. I'll probably give this a try now. Thanks again!

Perhaps try a Puni for the pasta paring??
    Definitely give it a few minutes to breathe a little bit and get the boozy side out. There are some spicy notes at first, but they're really well balanced by the sweeter side. I'd say it reminds me of Elijah Craig with more complexity.

Well I figured I'd work my way up to it, next up is paskettio's (with meatballs of course).

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Very complex but in a good way. Initially pretty boozy (95 proof, the cask strength is 112 or so) but if you let it breathe 10 minutes or thereabouts that calms down.

Caramel, butterscotch, malt are what i get the most but the complexity means theres a LOT goin on. Finish is quite smooth though.

Doesn't pair well with velveeta shells and cheese, but then that's not likely the bourbon's fault.
    Great info. Thanks! It was a review I saw on the cask strength that made me hesitant so this is good feedback to balance it out. We like a high-proof just fine but tend to lean toward rye for those. And, especially for my wife, we typically prefer bourbons with sweeter notes like you're describing. I'll probably give this a try now. Thanks again!

Perhaps try a Puni for the pasta paring??

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Grabbed an italian stretch traveler jacket on the bonobos sale. Then i stopped by the class six when i went to Walter Reed today and found something I've been looking for....oh gosh easily for 9 months now.

20200207_124414 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
    Wow! That's some bottle!

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR View Post
    I've been skeptical about that one so please let us know what you think. I do LOVE that label!
    Very complex but in a good way. Initially pretty boozy (95 proof, the cask strength is 112 or so) but if you let it breathe 10 minutes or thereabouts that calms down.

Caramel, butterscotch, malt are what i get the most but the complexity means theres a LOT goin on. Finish is quite smooth though.

Doesn't pair well with velveeta shells and cheese, but then that's not likely the bourbon's fault.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    I've been skeptical about that one so please let us know what you think. I do LOVE that label!

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Grabbed an italian stretch traveler jacket on the bonobos sale. Then i stopped by the class six when i went to Walter Reed today and found something I've been looking for....oh gosh easily for 9 months now.

20200207_124414 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Nandyn
    replied
    Just ordered me that Bonobos T-Rex shirt from the main dappered page. RAAAAWR indeed.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Well after eating many pizzas and picking up many barbells I have officially hulked out of all my nice suits. Trousers have been too small in the seat/thighs for a while (remarkably, I can still cinch up the waists without distending my organs... but bending at the waist or knees while wearing the pants, that's another beast entirely). But I was hanging onto the full suits in the back of my closet because the jackets still fit. I figured maybe I would someday fit into the trousers again.

Now all the jackets are too snug as well. So I just ordered four new suits from Spier & Mackay. All variations of the color blue, as it seems as good a time as any to embrace my parallel universe Bill Nighy-esque life where I wear exclusively blue suits all the time.

I've got some looming multi-day trials so this seemed as good a time as any for a suit wardrobe refresh.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by zac10sim View Post
    It may be a little out of the wheelhouse for this forum, but I recently got my hands on a Samuelsohn midgray windowpaine suit for 75% off. It was still more than half a grand, but it's full canvassed super 140's wool from E. Thomas. Really beautiful suit.

I got it from a local men's store that runs really great clearances twice a year.

In addition to that I picked up an Eredi Pisano wool over coat for around 400 while I was in San Francisco on business. More Italian in style than I would normally go for, but it actually fit extremely well.
    Sounds like you got a couple of deals!

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by zac10sim View Post
    It may be a little out of the wheelhouse for this forum, but I recently got my hands on a Samuelsohn midgray windowpaine suit for 75% off. It was still more than half a grand, but it's full canvassed super 140's wool from E. Thomas. Really beautiful suit.

I got it from a local men's store that runs really great clearances twice a year.

In addition to that I picked up an Eredi Pisano wool over coat for around 400 while I was in San Francisco on business. More Italian in style than I would normally go for, but it actually fit extremely well.
    Wow!! I lucked into a Samuelsohn jacket while thrifting once and they really are amazing.

Leave a comment:

• zac10sim
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
    Just bought two plain wool sweaters on Ledburys winter sale and they are great. Maybe not original price $195 great but I’m very happy for $65 each with the extra 30% (now 40%) off.

https://www.ledbury.com/collections/...w-neck-sweater

They’re a little chunky while still being very well fitted. Great feeling wool and super warm and comfortable. Would strongly recommend if they’re available in your size. S fits great and I’m 5’8” 150lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny... I had them in my cart just this morning and took them out because they seem pretty chunky. Sounds like the chunk is just right for you, though? I'm 5-9 1550-160, always right in between s/m. Is there more room in that S or would you recommend the M?

Leave a comment:

• aps2012
    replied
    Just bought two plain wool sweaters on Ledburys winter sale and they are great. Maybe not original price $195 great but I’m very happy for $65 each with the extra 30% (now 40%) off.

https://www.ledbury.com/collections/...w-neck-sweater

They’re a little chunky while still being very well fitted. Great feeling wool and super warm and comfortable. Would strongly recommend if they’re available in your size. S fits great and I’m 5’8” 150lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by kongmw View Post
    Any idea what they do with horse heads?
    People wake up next to them.

bhahahaha

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
    I had a horse tenderloin steak in Iceland and it was delicious. I really don't see why we don't eat it here in the US. I mean, all that shell cordovan has corresponding meat.
    sentimentality and social norms. no technical reason. dog and cat too. if you take the emotion out of it, the stray dog and cat population int he US is large and the money it takes to house and euthanize animals isnt minor. The hunger issues we face wouldnt be solved by connecting these dots but it would help. but I would have a hard time eating dog/cat myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X