This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
    been lurking here for a while, thought i'd contribute my first post here.

Loake 1880 monks
    These are really cool shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by axedatta View Post
      Where can I shop online for Loake that is sold in Euros and not Pounds?
      that, is a GREAT question.
      I was just going to comment on how it's likely that Loakes are sold in GBP and I have no idea where you'd find them sold in the euro-zone.
      On the other hand, Meermin IS sold in euros (although I read somewhere that they secretly increased the price calculated in USD to adjust for the euro decline?)

Comment

I picked up a few things at J.Crew recently and had a great customer service experience tonight. I ordered a pair of 770 jeans in the resin crinkle wash, and they sent me the wrong wash. So I went to the store today to exchange them, but they didn't have my size in stock. Because of the inconvenience, the salesman gave me the 25% off that is currently running on 2 shirts that were not part of the sale. Then he called the nearest J.Crew (in Chicago, so there are 2 nearby me) and had them hold the last pair for me. May not seem like much but he didn't have to do any of that so I walked away impressed.

I have hopefully bought all the J.Crew I will need for the coming season as I bought more than I normally would this week, though everything was 25% off:
        2 Indigo secret wash shirts
        770 jeans in resin crinkle
        Selvedge indigo denim shirt
        Ludlow cotton sportcoat in 'vintage linen' (still waiting to arrive, had to return the first one I bought and size 1 up from my normal size)

Comment

I apologize about the loake comment. I just meant footwear sold in euros, or really anything sold in euros. Didn't mean to mislead!

Comment

I was just going to comment on how it's likely that Loakes are sold in GBP and I have no idea where you'd find them sold in the euro-zone.
            On the other hand, Meermin IS sold in euros (although I read somewhere that they secretly increased the price calculated in USD to adjust for the euro decline?)
            I don't know exactly how that works. I imagine that the prices just stay the same. That is, they have separate price lists for every currency. Otherwise, the prices would always fluctuate, even if they are paid in euros, dollars or pounds.

Comment

Picked these up this weekend for $45. Doon Chukkas. I wanted to spend some $$ and pick up a nicer pair, but I figured these would hold me over.

It worked out because I stopped at the shoe mart and they had some Indys on the Irregular rack in my size. Two pairs actually, one with a lighter welt and one with a darker welt! I picked a pair up, will post soon.

Comment

Recently I came across a jewellery label called Walter Crow, and purchased 'The Orphan' for $179 NZD.

Awesome fit, and a really great story behind the brand - check it out! www.waltercrow.co.nz

Comment

This Gap raincoat just arrived (literally, hence the wrinkles). I think it's a keeper. It's lightweight, has a decent length, feels like it'll be fairly water resistant. These pics are actually over a blazer, so I think it'll work great as a top layer. Not bad for about $73 shipped (sale + rewards credit).

Comment

So how much are you wanting it to rain now?

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                      So how much are you wanting it to rain now?
                      Meh. As a glasses-wearer who has to walk 15-20 minutes outside during my commute, I still hate the rain. However I'll admit that the prospect doesn't entirely bum me out for now.

Comment

Having my best-ever quarter at work, so decided to go for a little (OK a huge) splurge. My first pair of Aldens. 920 cap toe in their dark brown. Picked them up at the store today and can't wait to try them out tomorrow.

Comment

No, Meermin now lists their prices in USD - effectively jacking the price by $30 or more at the current exchange rate (depending on whether you're looking at Classic or Maestro Linea).

For example, a pair of the Meermin Classic line shoes formerly cost EUR 132 + 35 shipping to USA = EUR 167. At the former exchange rate (hovered around 1.35 EUR to USD for a long time), this came out to roughly $225 before any US Customs fees (~$15). At today's exchange rates (~1.08 EUR to USD), those same shoes would be about $180 shipped (before Customs fees), so about $45 (or 20%) less than six months ago. Now that prices are listed in USD, a pair of Classic line shoes costs USD 175 + 35 = $210. I think they recently adjusted the shipping rate, because I swear it was closer to $50 before - but I just checked and its now USD 35. Anyway, the price now is still a little bit less than the same shoe would've been six months ago, but its not the discount you'd get if paying in Euro. Too bad. I think its a bad business practice, and will likely affect my decision to buy Meermin in the future when other European brands (like Carmina, as well as the various English makers) are getting cheaper and more attainable due to the favorable exchange rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                            No, Meermin now lists their prices in USD - effectively jacking the price by $30 or more at the current exchange rate (depending on whether you're looking at Classic or Maestro Linea).

For example, a pair of the Meermin Classic line shoes formerly cost EUR 132 + 35 shipping to USA = EUR 167. At the former exchange rate (hovered around 1.35 EUR to USD for a long time), this came out to roughly $225 before any US Customs fees (~$15). At today's exchange rates (~1.08 EUR to USD), those same shoes would be about $180 shipped (before Customs fees), so about $45 (or 20%) less than six months ago. Now that prices are listed in USD, a pair of Classic line shoes costs USD 175 + 35 = $210. I think they recently adjusted the shipping rate, because I swear it was closer to $50 before - but I just checked and its now USD 35. Anyway, the price now is still a little bit less than the same shoe would've been six months ago, but its not the discount you'd get if paying in Euro. Too bad. I think its a bad business practice, and will likely affect my decision to buy Meermin in the future when other European brands (like Carmina, as well as the various English makers) are getting cheaper and more attainable due to the favorable exchange rate.
                            Most major retailers are having to completely reshape their pricing strategies because of currency volatility. Most notably, Chanel has repriced nearly every sku they have just because of price differences between the Euro & various Asian currencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                              This Gap raincoat just arrived (literally, hence the wrinkles). I think it's a keeper. It's lightweight, has a decent length, feels like it'll be fairly water resistant. These pics are actually over a blazer, so I think it'll work great as a top layer. Not bad for about $73 shipped (sale + rewards credit).

I wish the BR trench was this length. However now looking at this one, I kinda like the single breasted style. Looks good!

Comment

I'm guessing you listened to Marketplace this evening, sir?

Comment

Working...
                                X