Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up one of the new JCF OCBDs after checking it out in store. Fabric is a normal oxford cloth this go round, and they are stocking the slims in store, instead of being online only like the last version. Fabric is decently thick and pretty soft. Fit is exactly like the slim washed shirts on me, which means perfect, but with a length that wont stay comfortably tucked in all day. Don't mind it with an oxford, especially blue, as for me they are usually worn casually untucked with jeans. The JCF slims I really only wear tucked under a blazer or sweater. The regular sizes are long enough to tuck well, but then there's all the extra fabric. Which means I wear them under a blazer or sweater.....But they are great, inexpensive basics for layering either way, so I'm really nitpicking about the length. And it works in this case, as it is exactly what I was looking for.

And a close up pic:

Comment

Picked up three of the things off of the J Crew sale.

1. The J Crew cotton sportcoat in the true blue color (it's called something else, but it's basically a true blue, the online pictures don't show it correctly). In person, I noticed that the lapels seem wider and the button-stance seems lower. Maybe they're using last year's model shots? I dunno.

2. The ticking stripe belt. It'll go well with most of my shorts, and I'm always in need of another belt.

3. J Crew Bowery Classic in Cotton (off-white color). Can never have enough pants.

The sportcoat is probably the only thing you guys care about, though. I can post a review if anyone would like.

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
        2. The ticking stripe belt. It'll go well with most of my shorts, and I'm always in need of another belt.
        Kicking myself for not having picked up that belt. Would have been a great addition to my summer wardrobe.

Comment

Iron Heart IH-666-XHS 25oz raw denim
          Samurai 710XX 19oz raw denim
          Baracuta G9 in black

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
            Iron Heart IH-666-XHS 25oz raw denim
            Samurai 710XX 19oz raw denim
            Baracuta G9 in black
            Nice Haul! 25oz raw denim... that will be a fun break-in!

Comment

The sportcoat is probably the only thing you guys care about, though. I can post a review if anyone would like.
              Please do! I tried it on at the store a couple of weeks ago. Fit was great but I wasn't sure about the color. I, too, noticed the slightly wider lapels.
              How do you plan to wear yours?

Comment

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
                Nice Haul! 25oz raw denim... that will be a fun break-in!
                Gonna be fun!

Just picked up the original chippewa from the jcrew sale. $180 down the drain!

Comment

been lurking here for a while, thought i'd contribute my first post here.

Loake 1880 monks

Comment

First post in this particular thread. I've never owned any jeans outside of Levi 501's, which I do really enjoy wearing. However, I stumbled across these yesterday and submitted an order before it closed:

https://www.weargustin.com/store/1605
                    Gustin Brushed Back Superlight

They're lightweight and selvedge, so it will be a completely different experience than I'm used to (I assume).

Comment

Originally posted by farhad View Post
                      Please do! I tried it on at the store a couple of weeks ago. Fit was great but I wasn't sure about the color. I, too, noticed the slightly wider lapels.
                      How do you plan to wear yours?
                      I tried it on in store as well, actually. Normally J Crew sportcoats don't work on me because (a) don't like the slim lapels and (b) have narrow shoulders. However, my thoughts based on the try-on:

(a) greater chest measurement than past models. This allowed me to size down to get the shoulder fit right while not getting any X in the chest.

(b) wider lapels than previous. While I didn't have a measuring tape, they appeared to be >3", which would indicate that J Crew is finally starting to follow the trend of wider lapels.

(c) Similarly, the tail wasn't chopped like previous models have been. If you're normally unsure / in-between, it may actually be advisable to go with the S.

(d) color was great in my opinion. Not navy, but not a gaudy bright blue. Somewhere in-between.

I think it'll look great with off-white denim and trousers (think stone), light khakis, and go-to-hell colors that aren't blue (yellow might look outstanding). In short, great with summer colors.

I plan to wear it similarly to how a trad prep would wear a navy blazer. However, I would definitely say it's a more casual jacket, which I like - it would look better with a button-down collar than it would with a dress collar and a tie. However, these are just my initial impressions based on in-store last week. I'll be sure to post some pictures and more when I actually get it in.

If you're familiar with LBM1911, I would say it 100% draws inspiration from them (I don't own LBM but I have handled it).

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                        been lurking here for a while, thought i'd contribute my first post here.

Loake 1880 monks
                        Loake is a great buy right now, considering how weak the euro is. I'd encourage anyone considering footwear to look into european brands. Once you subtract the VAT it's unreal how cheap they are!

Comment

Loake is a great buy right now, considering how weak the euro is. I'd encourage anyone considering footwear to look into european brands. Once you subtract the VAT it's unreal how cheap they are!
                          I'm seconding looking into foreign purchases, but for tweed and wool instead (or as well as shoes if budget allows).

Real Shetland Sweaters:
                          http://www.shetland-knitwear.com/

MTM Tweed jackets:
                          http://www.tweed-jacket.com/index.html

Some deals to be had if in the market anyway and conversion rates stay this favorable.

Comment

Where can I shop online for Loake that is sold in Euros and not Pounds?

Comment

Jcrew x chippewa original 6" boots in brown. Which apparently is more of a cordovan color than true brown. Bought two pairs 8.5 and 9 just to get my fit spot on.

$180 each free shipping and of course no taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by axedatta View Post
                                Where can I shop online for Loake that is sold in Euros and not Pounds?
                                I'd be interested in this too. In the last year the Euro has weakened much more against the dollar than the Pound has, though the Pound is also weaker than it used to be. I just wish Meermin was offering a RTW chukka in a bitter chocolate suede rather than in the lighter snuff or tan calf that they currently offer, then I'd order from them.

Comment

Working...
                                X