This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    ^ Be ready to inspect them closely. I've gone through a half-dozen pairs of the shell LWB FIRSTS with each having a problem that I would deem significant for a $700 pair of shoes.

I have two more pairs on order before I call it quits on Alden.
    That's unfortunate. I really want a pair of shell LWB. Cigar or ravello most likely however, so the finishign should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
      That's unfortunate. I really want a pair of shell LWB. Cigar or ravello most likely however, so the finishign should be good.
      Alden's acrylic finish on top of the Horween #8 is a prime concern. If you go with cigar or ravello, you may be better off.

Then you'd only need to worry about them getting the sole stitched on correctly (had this problem), getting the insole and cushion pad straight (had this problem), getting the leather liner straight and not bubbled (had this problem), and getting all of the clicking/brogueing perfect (had these problems).

As you might be able to tell, I'm a bit salty at the whole experience. I've gone through half a Kentucky Derby without a workable pair... >.>

Comment

Originally posted by ninpb View Post
        I get the emails too and wondered just how fast on the gun you had to be with those emails. I noticed the email 10 minutes after getting it and thought for sure they were all gone if I were to call. How was your experience?
        I called about 5 hours after the list came out and they still had all 3 pairs i inquired about. I didn't ask about shell, Indys, or more obviously popular choices so that helped. Those make ups usually sell out within the first few minutes, especially if it's rare shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
          I called about 5 hours after the list came out and they still had all 3 pairs i inquired about. I didn't ask about shell, Indys, or more obviously popular choices so that helped. Those make ups usually sell out within the first few minutes, especially if it's rare shell.
          Do you already have a pair of roughouts/Kudu or is that one of the shoes you inquired about? Almost called about those boots myself.

Comment

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...on?color=BLACK

With respect to the build quality of Aldo (insert your on thoughts on that here) I feel like I found the best combination of a lightweight, dressy loafer, with a perfect toe box for a suit that is under $100. $70 at Nordstrom Rack. Barely any sizes online, but I found plenty of 9-10 sizes at the two Nordstrom racks in my area. Brown was easier to find than the Black.

The leather felt as soft as the leather that your wallet is made from.

Comment

Didn't love the JCrew A-2 Bomber (between a small and a medium in sizing; medium felt like a parachute, small the sleeves were way too short) or the X150 windbreakers (similar issue). Decided to just swallow a few more dollars on the EastDane tiered sale to pick up the Theory Yost in Ink (and some toothpaste to drop it to $400), which I'd coveted for awhile now. Figure it'll be a good spring and fall downtown casual coat for awhile since it is a pretty timeless, streamlined, field jacket.

Googling it, apparently the dude on Arrow wears one a lot so now I feel 100% cooler about my decision.

In black (I got navy/ink):

Comment

Oh great. Thanks guys for letting me know that it's not too hard to give my money to shoemart.

Originally posted by dackman View Post
                I didn't call in until about an hour after I received the email, had to call in quite a few times to get past the busy signal, and then once through maybe another 5-7 minute wait until I was connected to customer service. I thought for sure they would have sold out in my size by then, 10D, and was pleasantly surprised that they were still available.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                  Do you already have a pair of roughouts/Kudu or is that one of the shoes you inquired about? Almost called about those boots myself.
                  The 2 I got (probably only keeping 1 of the 2 but need to see them in person to decide) were:

Comment

The 2 I got (probably only keeping 1 of the 2 but need to see them in person to decide) were:

I really like those longwings. Do you have any experience with the crepe sole? I'm a little dubious about it's durability, but they do look comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                      I really like those longwings. Do you have any experience with the crepe sole? I'm a little dubious about it's durability, but they do look comfortable.
                      No experience with it either. I've heard it is really comfy though. I love those longwings too but I'm worried if they're redundant for me. The only problem is I already have a pair of Alden longwings from Leffot in the reverse tobacco chamois and commando soles. I'm actually wearing them today.

Comment

No experience with it either. I've heard it is really comfy though. I love those longwings too but I'm worried if they're redundant for me. The only problem is I already have a pair of Alden longwings from Leffot in the reverse tobacco chamois and commando soles. I'm actually wearing them today.
                        Nice shoes. Might have to see if I can track a pair of those down myself.

Comment

My AE Gobis arrived last week, but I had to take them back to the local retail location because there was a defect in how the suede was attached to the liner on the left boot. The customer service rep there was friendly and exchanged them quickly and got me free 2-day shipping. These are on the 809 last and fit pretty big. I usually wear a 10.5D or 10.5E and a 10D in these fit perfectly right out of the box with medium weight socks. They're darker than the online image and a bit more structured looking.

They were on clearance ($190 shipped) and I like them, but I'm considering returning them and getting something a bit dressier (Loake Kempton in chocolate suede or similar) since I don't feel like I can dress these up much past smart casual and maybe the odd business casual day at work. I could replace the natural laces with a dark brown waxed lace, but the red Dainite keeps the whole thing a bit too informal. Any thoughts?

Pics:
                          http://imgur.com/r7DQR2U
                          http://imgur.com/cwO34qw

Comment

Originally posted by ac6 View Post
                            My AE Gobis arrived last week, but I had to take them back to the local retail location because there was a defect in how the suede was attached to the liner on the left boot. The customer service rep there was friendly and exchanged them quickly and got me free 2-day shipping. These are on the 809 last and fit pretty big. I usually wear a 10.5D or 10.5E and a 10D in these fit perfectly right out of the box with medium weight socks. They're darker than the online image and a bit more structured looking.

They were on clearance ($190 shipped) and I like them, but I'm considering returning them and getting something a bit dressier (Loake Kempton in chocolate suede or similar) since I don't feel like I can dress these up much past smart casual and maybe the odd business casual day at work. I could replace the natural laces with a dark brown waxed lace, but the red Dainite keeps the whole thing a bit too informal. Any thoughts?

Pics:
                            http://imgur.com/r7DQR2U
                            http://imgur.com/cwO34qw
                            I'm looking to get these in leather but the red sole pops in your pics, I was hoping it would be more subtle. Might have to hold off.

Comment

Originally posted by Creature View Post
                              I'm looking to get these in leather but the red sole pops in your pics, I was hoping it would be more subtle. Might have to hold off.
                              Yeah, I think I may return them. They're extremely comfortable, but I just don't see myself wearing them as often as I thought I'd end up wanting to.

Comment

I also recently picked up a seiko sarb065. I'll try to post some pics of it when I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X