Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got this today and I love it. . It's the reduced speedmaster. Smaller size compared to most but well proportioned to my tiny wrists.

Comment

def agreed re proportion and your wrists. looks great

Comment

Just picked up a Hugo Boss suit used, the jacket is fully lined so that is a plus..was able to bargain the price down to 115 shipped..what do you guys think?

Comment

Thanks for the posting I have been really thinking about pulling the trigger on these. I couldn't decide between the fifth street boot and the bleecker. I had the tyndall but they were so damn tight I had to return them a day later.
          Originally posted by idevarona View Post
          Just got my new pair of brown AE Bleecker Street in the mail. Let me tell you they are freakin' FAN-TAS-TIC! Even though they are factory seconds, these are essentially flawless to the untrained eye. The ONLY flaw I could see upon close inspection is a VERY VERY minor discoloration at the top of the boot where your ankle would be. However, that is covered by all pants and its so minor you can't even tell unless you're looking at these from up close, looking for imperfections. I had been looking around for boots for months now and after returning some shell cordovan AE Daltons as well as those Johnston and Murphy Tyndall cap-toe boots, I am glad that I finally found the perfect boots for me. As has been raved about on this site many times, these can be worn with anything from nice denim to a suit for all but the most formal of occasions. If you, like me, have been stuck on the fence about buying these, DO IT! You will not regret it. Also, they are currently on clearance for both firsts and factory seconds, so now would be the best time to jump on them.

As a side note, since I noticed that the site recommends these and the J&M Tyndalls as a cheaper option, and having had both the Bleecker Streets and the J&M Tyndall boots ("less fortunate man's Bleecker's") in my hands at the same time, I can say I can fairly review the differences in both. Obviously, the leather quality is nicer on the more expensive Bleecker Street, but my main concern with the J&M Tyndall was the shape. They are so damn long, they looked clown shoes to me. There was about an inch left of space at the toes in my regular size, and because of the cushioning inside, they were so tight around the entire width and top of the uppers that a size-down was not an option. The shape of the Bleecker is perfect in my opinion, since they use the same last as the popular AE Park Avenues and Strands, which I also own. At around $120, the Tyndall didn't seem like a bad option, until I wore them around the house. In my honest opinion, the extra $117 that I paid for the Bleecker factory seconds was absolutely worth it both in aesthetics and longevity of the shoes. I expect to wear the hell out of these for years to come, and when the time arrives, they are a recraft away from looking like-new again, something that could not be said about the cheaper Tyndalls. I'd post pictures for a side-by-side comparison but the Tyndalls are already boxed and ready to be sent back.

Comment

Originally posted by oxfordsandties View Post
            Thanks for the posting I have been really thinking about pulling the trigger on these. I couldn't decide between the fifth street boot and the bleecker. I had the tyndall but they were so damn tight I had to return them a day later.
            I wore the Tyndalls for 15 minutes and knew they were not the ones for me. Not to mention they looked soooo long. 2 days after they arrived I saw the Bleeckers going on sale and immediately called in. Apparently I picked up the last ones in brown for my size too, they dont show up on the shoebank in that color anymore. Being a clearance, I'm sure the inventory is limited. So if I was you I'd jump on them. They are so nice in person and have gotten many many compliments on the street.

On a side note, if I had the money, and I didnt already own a merlot/burgundy colored shoe, I would absolutely get the Bleeckers in that color or a similar one as well. I saw a picture of the Paul Evans chukka boots in a deep burgundy and they are fuego! I hadn't considered boots in that color, but now I'm on the look out. Maybe I'll just save up some pennies and get the Paul Evans sometime this year.

Comment

I would love some brandos but I feel that they are a bit too overpriced. For that money I can just hunt for some aldens on ebay.

I
              Originally posted by idevarona View Post
              I wore the Tyndalls for 15 minutes and knew they were not the ones for me. Not to mention they looked soooo long. 2 days after they arrived I saw the Bleeckers going on sale and immediately called in. Apparently I picked up the last ones in brown for my size too, they dont show up on the shoebank in that color anymore. Being a clearance, I'm sure the inventory is limited. So if I was you I'd jump on them. They are so nice in person and have gotten many many compliments on the street.

On a side note, if I had the money, and I didnt already own a merlot/burgundy colored shoe, I would absolutely get the Bleeckers in that color or a similar one as well. I saw a picture of the Paul Evans chukka boots in a deep burgundy and they are fuego! I hadn't considered boots in that color, but now I'm on the look out. Maybe I'll just save up some pennies and get the Paul Evans sometime this year.

Comment

I would love some brandos but I feel that they are a bit too overpriced. For that money I can just hunt for some aldens on ebay.

I
                I get your point. Personally, although I don't have a problem with very lightly used shoes (I have some park avenues that had been worn only a few times and looked like new, the insoles have since molded to my feet perfectly), I am somewhat opposed to used boots. Something about them, aside from the fact that it seems less hygienic than a similarly worn dress shoe would be; in my opinion boots are a more personal item to a man. I'd feel like I'm wearing another guys underwear, to put it in comparison.

If you're still on the fence, go for the Bleecker Street. At around $270, including tax and shoe trees, they seem like a great buy to me. Quality of leather and construction is definitely there. Comfortable as hell, especially if your feet are familiar to AE's 65 last (e.g. park avenues, strands). Also the included V-Tread sole will ensure you get plenty of extra walking miles in them before you have to get new soles, while still being thin enough to let your adversaries tremble to the approaching sound of your oaken heels drumming across hardwood floors (oh wow, hahaha!). All in all, I am VERY happy with them, and I am one who tends to second guess expensive purchases unless they are absolutely perfect for me.

Comment

I'll recommend the AE Shaker Heights from the shoebank if in your size. Only $125ish with free shipping, also includes the v-tread half sole. Might not be the look you're going for, but I personally like the look of the tweed and leather. I actually liked them so much in brown that I bought the same boot in Chili to help rotate them and give the brown ones a break.

Comment

Ranting a bit here. Got my items from the most recent J.Crew 40% off final sale. I bought one of the lambswool v-neck sweaters, in a non-slim size because of reviews complaining about the fit of the slim version. Well I can't imagine it being worse than this. This is the shortest piece of clothing I have ever seen. In a size L, it doesn't even come past my belt without having to pull it down. I am pretty tall, 6'3", but my torso is maybe a bit short for my height. I don't see how anyone could wear this. Very bizarre that they would even get through manufacturing. Of course it's final sale, at least it was cheap.

Comment

FWIW, I got one of the non-slim lambswool v's in my normal size and it was much too baggy. Was bummed.

Comment

http://www.landsend.com/products/men...cket/id_281001

Anyone have any experience with this quilted jacket from lands end? Real close to pulling the trigger at $72.

Comment

Just picked up a Hugo Boss suit used, the jacket is fully lined so that is a plus..was able to bargain the price down to 115 shipped..what do you guys think?
                          That looks like a pretty sharp deal, provided, of course that the fit is good. But at $115 shipped I'm often willing to take that risk especially for a standard color like that! its so hard to find decent navy or charcoal suits on eBay. Brown with purple stripe Oxxford for $300? sure. But anything that standard just seems to go for so much more. I also like the double vent.

One further comment though, I think its generally thought that fully lined is in fact *worse* than unlined unless you really need the weight. This is mainly because lining means a maker doesn't have to finish up the inside of the jacket and so is used as a cost-cutting measure. Also, the materials used in lining is another way to really save material and I find often doesn't provide any additional warmth . . . unless its summer in which case they breathe terribly. Others thoughts on this?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I generally go for lined jackets because it has a bit more leeway as far as alterations go. This is my first ebay suit purchase so I will update when it comes in tomorrow. I definitely know what you mean by the cutting corners aspect but I figured a brand like hugo would hopefully put a bit more work into the suit. we shall see!

materials: 84% Wool 16% Mohair

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
                            That looks like a pretty sharp deal, provided, of course that the fit is good. But at $115 shipped I'm often willing to take that risk especially for a standard color like that! its so hard to find decent navy or charcoal suits on eBay. Brown with purple stripe Oxxford for $300? sure. But anything that standard just seems to go for so much more. I also like the double vent.

One further comment though, I think its generally thought that fully lined is in fact *worse* than unlined unless you really need the weight. This is mainly because lining means a maker doesn't have to finish up the inside of the jacket and so is used as a cost-cutting measure. Also, the materials used in lining is another way to really save material and I find often doesn't provide any additional warmth . . . unless its summer in which case they breathe terribly. Others thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                              FWIW, I got one of the non-slim lambswool v's in my normal size and it was much too baggy. Was bummed.
                              Originally posted by Moelman View Post
                              Ranting a bit here. Got my items from the most recent J.Crew 40% off final sale. I bought one of the lambswool v-neck sweaters, in a non-slim size because of reviews complaining about the fit of the slim version. Well I can't imagine it being worse than this. This is the shortest piece of clothing I have ever seen. In a size L, it doesn't even come past my belt without having to pull it down. I am pretty tall, 6'3", but my torso is maybe a bit short for my height. I don't see how anyone could wear this. Very bizarre that they would even get through manufacturing. Of course it's final sale, at least it was cheap.
                              If you're truly dissatisfied, particularly if you feel the item was misrepresented/defective then contact customer service - even though its final sale, I suspect they'll accept a return.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                                If you're truly dissatisfied, particularly if you feel the item was misrepresented/defective then contact customer service - even though its final sale, I suspect they'll accept a return.
                                I have returned a few items from J Crew that were final sale. My reason was because the items I purchased looked nothing like what was pictured. So yeah, they do accept returns of final sale items.

Comment

Working...
                                X