• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frankjcampbell View Post
    After no spend November I went on a bit of spree:
    Stafford Deacon Boots

Orient Orange Bezel Mako

Invicta Speedway Two Tone
    Hadley Roma Tan Alligator strap (for the Invicta)

ORANGE New Balance old school style tennis shoes from DSQ
    Eastland Lumber Up in brown from DSW
    Nice..I see you got the Planet Ocean and the Daytona

Comment

Originally posted by Brock View Post
      [IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/19/e4338ccdde82759d00db1d305a304c6c.
      jpg[/IMG]

New watch! Hamilton Navy Pioneer as a graduation gift from the girlfriend
      Small seconds. Very classy.

Comment

Not a recent purchase, exactly, but my Allen Edmonds Shell McGregors shipped and should be here in a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
          @people buying shell for the first time in 2015: Unless you're going for a rare makeup (a plaza NST boot for example) you should be able to find #8 boots for a bit less than retail - especially allen edmonds' models. The AE Strands in brown shell are gorgeous. And if you're going to go full retail on a pair of shell, I recommend the C&J Marlow for RL, the C&J Lindrick for RL, or one of Alden's rare shell makeups, Cigar or Ravello would be excellent. You're going ot have to wait 6mo-2yrs to get one of those though.
          I'll be getting the Alden x J Crew cap toe boots. They've been $700 for awhile.

Might pick up some short wings or Strands if I can find my size. Tried on an Alden longwing and the Barrie last fit very large.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
            I'll be getting the Alden x J Crew cap toe boots. They've been $700 for awhile.

Might pick up some short wings or Strands if I can find my size. Tried on an Alden longwing and the Barrie last fit very large.
            You usually have to size down .5 on the Barrie last.

Comment

Recent Purchases

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
              The other pair are an unlined natural CXL chukka. They should work great when it gets warmer here in Texas. If you have been on the fence about natural CXL or haven't really considered it before, I can't recommend it enough. In pics it looked ok to me but in person it has a great patina'd look and supposedly it only gets better over time.
              That natural cxl looks great. I'd love a longwing or a lhs in that material. Even the natty cxl Indys look pretty good, but it seems a hard purchase to justify when I already own a pair of cxl Indys from J Crew.

Comment

I picked up my 1000 Mile's from the cobbler for the second time today. Long story, but suffice it to say i won't be buying "100 miles" again, nor will i be using this cobbler.

Anyway i stopped into a shoe shop on my way back to work to see if they had any Redwing Beckman or Iron Rangers i could try on, and as it turned out they had Iron rangers on clearance for 30% off in my size! Wasn't planning on buying today, but i couldn't pass them up!

Comment

Nice! I'd like to hear about the 1Ks. I have a pair and they've been great for 2 years.

Comment

Really excited for this to come in. Got it like 80% off retail. 48% Alpaca wool, 32% Wool, 20% Cashmere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                      Nice! I'd like to hear about the 1Ks. I have a pair and they've been great for 2 years.
                      I wore a hole in the sole in just 8 months. Brought them to a local cobbler, and asked for a new full leather sole capped with vibram half sole. $125 and 2 weeks later i got them back with a leather half sole. When i pointed out that i had specifically asked for a full sole the cobbler told me they don't do full leather soles. If they'd told me that before I would have sent them to a real cobbler in New york.

That was mid October, by the end of December the half sole was coming apart on one boot and the rubber was peeling up on both. Emailed them, and they said they would fix it, but then they wanted to try to blame it on my wearing them in the snow rather than accept that their work was shoddy, and they didn't do what I asked.

Red Wing's factory service was a big part of my choice to go with Red Wing gor my next pair. For the same $125, they will do a full refurb.

I think The 1000 mile is a well made shoe, but the leather sole is not up to the amount of walking I do, and adding the cost of adding a rubber toppy when new puts them into the price range of much better shoes.
                      Last edited by mattface; January 16, 2015, 02:52 PM. Reason: trying to post from a moving car=bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        Really excited for this to come in. Got it like 80% off retail. 48% Alpaca wool, 32% Wool, 20% Cashmere.
                        Be careful with that. Alpaca shrinks like crazy, even in cold water. Hopefully the other materials will help to prevent that.
                        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          Be careful with that. Alpaca shrinks like crazy, even in cold water. Hopefully the other materials will help to prevent that.
                          Planning to dry clean the thing like once a year, maybe twice depending on wear...should be okay?

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                            I wore a hole in the sole in just 8 months. Brought them to a local cobbler, and asked for a new full leather sole cspped with vibram half sole. $125 and 2 weeks later i got them back with a leather half sole. When i pointed out that i has specifically and for a full sole the cobbler told me they don't fo full leather soles. If they'd told me that before I would have sent them to a real cobbler in New york.

That was mid October, by the end of December the half spoke was coming apart on one boot and the rubber was perling up on both. Emailed them, and they said they would fix it, but then they wanted to try to blame it on my wearing them in the snow rather than accept that their work was shoddy, and they didn't do what I asked.

Red Wing's factory service was a big part of my choice to go with Red wing gor my next pair. For the same $125, they will do a full refurb.
                            That's super frustrating. Shoe repair is one of those fields that seems to have a lot of inept, unscrupulous, and disorganized practitioners. Much like tailors. The good ones who perform their services in a timely manner with honest pricing are damn near unicorns.

Comment

Great sale at my local menswear store scored me a nice blu/block micro houndstooth Samuelsohn blazer at 50% off. They are also one of the few places that does a mid rise dress trouser so got a nice pair of them too.

Frank and Oak has a good sale on so I picked up a shirt for $14 (!) and I am going to try their jeans in slim straight. It was all against store credit so no big deal if I need to return them.

Now on a no-spend for a couple of months again.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                                That's super frustrating. Shoe repair is one of those fields that seems to have a lot of inept, unscrupulous, and disorganized practitioners. Much like tailors. The good ones who perform their services in a timely manner with honest pricing are damn near unicorns.

Agreed! I go for decent pricing and good quality and let the timely manner part ride. I just have to be prepared to not need last minute work.

Comment

Working...
                                X