Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't get to the $50 Deacon* in time. I'm thinking of jumping on some AE cordovan daltons, not sure if worth the splurge over some other dress shoes though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow1 View Post
      @Vanquish: Interesting. I thought Oscar was less wide than Inca, Soller or Rain. Do you own anything on Allen Edmonds' 5 last (or other lasts for that matter)? Curious what width size you are in AE.

I'm also looking at skoak's EG Galway GMTO. They seem to allow different widths. In researching that, I went down a rabbit hole and am looking at various lasts from VASS too. Sigh.
      It is more of a rounder last and yes, I believe it's not as wide as the lasts you've mentioned. I own AE's on the 5 last in in a D width, but can also go down a .5 size to an E. I always thought European shoemakers E's were somewhere between a D/E in US sizing, but obviously, that depends on the last.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
        Is that the Boden quilted jacket?

Looks like the J crew Broadmoor Quilted Jacket. I have the same one. Love it.

Comment

So the Alfred Sargent Cambridges that I mentioned before arrived today. I could not be happier. Here are some pics (gnore the power cables from my desk

Comment

Originally posted by WelcomeStyle View Post
            Bought this Casio watch last month. I just wanted something that was cheap, looked good with any outfit, and told time. Boom. If it breaks/gets scratched/stolen...I can replace it. Not too shabby.
            I've been considering this watch for a bit. It has dropped a couple bucks since I last checked! Are you planning to wear it as is, or with a NATO strap? Could you post some pics? If you can't that's okay because I've been buying a ton of stuff this season...

Comment

I've been using it as is, hadn't even considered a strap. Not a bad idea, though! I'm wearing now, so just took this picture:

Comment

Originally posted by WelcomeStyle View Post
                I've been using it as is, hadn't even considered a strap. Not a bad idea, though! I'm wearing now, so just took this picture:
                Looks good! And for less than $10! Thanks for the picture.

Comment

I started a new thread for this, but immediately deleted it because that's dumb. Anyway,

I was browsing about here and there on the intertubes and ran across Put This On's notice regarding a J Press sample sale (see, http://putthison.com/post/1030426261...ale-in-nyc-the). It just so happens that the event was going down only a few blocks from where I work, so while I was out for lunch today I popped in. I was expecting to pick up a tie, maybe a belt, a sweater if I was very lucky...

Instead, I found that the little things were either picked over or kinda crap. The only sweaters around were size XL and not that great anyway, and J Press's shirts just plain don't fit me right. So, rather than my plan panning out, I walked out of there with a suit a two sport coats ... because the prices on these things were ba-goddamned-nanas. Now, I recognize that full retail price is not generally to be trusted, but J Press isn't exactly J Crew with the constant sales, so I feel reasonably confident that the prices I got were incredibly good deals even if they weren't the 80-90%+ discounts the list prices would imply.

But let me show rather than tell:

First, I picked up this navy gingham seersucker 3/2 roll sportcoat:

It's minimally lined (only the upper back and arms), fits well (listed size is 39R), feels great, and will get a lot of use in the summer. Sure, it's a little loud, but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off. For $100, I'm certainly willing to try.

I also picked up this beautiful grey herringbone silk/linen 3/2 roll sportcoat:

I believe it's half canvassed (feels that way), it fits very well (may need to have the sleeves taken up a bit - listed size is 38R), and the material (50/50 silk/linen) feels incredible. It was the last one I saw in any size and it cost me $80.

To be continued...

Comment

The last (and probably best) score was this wool flannel navy chalk stripe suit:

Mother of god, this thing feels nice. It's substantial, no doubt - it'll be a damn cold day that this requires more than a scarf to handle - but the material is super soft and hangs SO nicely. It's J Press's top line, which I believe is fully canvassed. It actually fits very well (the shoulders are perfect ) despite it being listed as a 42R. I'm not a 42R in anything I've ever heard of - the only reason I tried this on was that the 40R they had was actually a bit snug. I'll definitely need to have it tailored; the waist isn't bad, but could be nipped a bit, the sleeves are basted, so I'll have to have them taken care of, the pants have a 36" waist, so I'll have to have them taken in and the hem fixed. But I think this is going to be a kick-ass winter suit and it only cost me $200.

So, overall, I think I walked out of there with a pretty awesome haul at about 86% off of the listed prices. Not a bad capper to a lunch break.

Comment

nice haul Shomas!

Comment

Great deals. I really like the last two. I've never tried on a jpress suit. I'm surprised that the sizes were all different , especially the suit, since I thought jpress would be baggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                          nice haul Shomas!
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                          Great deals. I really like the last two. I've never tried on a jpress suit. I'm surprised that the sizes were all different , especially the suit, since I thought jpress would be baggy.
                          Thank you. I'd never tried on a J Press suit either (just shirts), but I understood that they were cut generously. So, I was very surprised to find a 40R being snug and a 42R fitting so well. The fit of the 38R and 39R didn't really shock me (other than 39R existing at all), though they were more trim than I expected. Maybe the strangeness of the fits relative to the listed sizes accounts for these items being at the sample sale? Either way, I'm thrilled with these pickups and just kind of bummed I have to wait so long to actually wear the two jackets.

Comment

DAMN.

Comment

[MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] Smart to not let us know you were going, otherwise I would have pestered you for proxy haha
                              Nice haul, very jealous of the sample sales you guys get in NYC. Most of the sample sales in So-Cal are geared towards expensive sneakers and t-shirts with logos.

Comment

Well done [MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION]. Great haul - NYC really gets all the good sample sales.

Comment

Working...
                                X