This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    I agree with this sentiment. I actually refuse to spend any money of substance on a pocket square because I like to retain the function. I heard a similar story of a man offering his to a woman at a wedding and it just seemed so "old school gentleman" that it stuck with me. OF course, once the square has been slimed it has to go to the inside pocket. I use solid colored handkerchiefs primarily. Might try out a bandanna because I kind of like this...

I like that a lot. While not quite the same, I have handkerchiefs with monogrammed letters (got them from Etsy) that I rather like using. White with blue or red, and cotton. Plus, easily washed. I really like what he's wearing, though. It's very "summery".

Comment

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
      That makes sense then, my office is decidedly not formal/conservative, so I get away with a lot of really dandy/peacocky elements on a daily basis.
      Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      kindof depends on the pocket square of tie. I think a solid white pocket square with a basic presidential fold is classic. Or a light pattern with a solid tie.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sU7XPiqn5d...600/oceans.jpg
      I sometimes think that would be fun. Although, ironically, my clients (who are older and richer) do not consider wearing a bow tie or a DB jacket to be particularly peacocky. They're all old white WASPy dudes who think that's awesome. Now, pocket squares on the other hand?

Comment

Yoox dropped their prices today - so if you have any items in your Dream Box, you may want to check and see if they've dropped into your "must buy" price range (particularly with the extra 20% off). I've been looking for a mid-length single-breasted navy mac/trench, so bought each of these Allegri jackets to see if I like either:

I also had my eye on a few jackets - LBM, Boglioli, and Cantarelli - but those are just things I'd LIKE to have, whereas I actually need a rain coat... Besides, I'm intimidated and confused by the sizing on some of those brands!
        Last edited by Jamie; June 10, 2014, 10:48 PM. Reason: Apologies for the giant picture.

Comment

Hmm... And tell me why I'd rather spend my money on something out of left field like that than a nice traditional and all-time classic jacket like the Barbour Beaufort.

Comment

Because the Beaufort is a totally different type of jacket for a different situation. Both of these are far more "City" than the Beaufort, and by the way the design of the first is an all-time classic and not out of left-field (It's a Mac!). The second has epaulets but that's not uncommon with trenches (another classic design) and I think the asymmetric shoulder detailing is a nice touch that on the types of days when this will be worn (dark, dreary, wet) will set it apart without being ridiculous. That being said I like the first one a lot more and could see myself buying it if I didn't buy the Bonobos Shamus Mac last fall.

I told myself I'd stay away from Yoox when their email popped up but I may have to wander back over...

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              Hmm... And tell me why I'd rather spend my money on something out of left field like that than a nice traditional and all-time classic jacket like the Barbour Beaufort.
              Any personal experience with Barbour, [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION]?

I own a Bedale in Navy and that first jacket posted by [MENTION=8057]Jamie[/MENTION] looks much sharper...although I tend to only wear my Bedale in more casual situations.

Comment

Completely different styles, Duvel.

That's like saying I have Merrells, why do I need a pair of Aldens?

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                  These are for wearing over business attire - where a Barbour would be totally inappropriate. I like Barbour coats, but I wear casual clothing so infrequently now, that I doubt I'll buy one anytime soon. My next casual jacket will likely be an M-65 anyway.

My quest for the perfect (and affordable) raincoat has been long and arduous - I have bought and returned four jackets so far - 2 from SuitSupply (one of which was a HUGE mistake, as it was by far the nicest of any I have bought since - total remorse), 1 from Bonobos (Shamus - returned because I don't like the covered placket and fit was so-so. I realize the covered placket on a mac is functional and traditional, but I don't like how it looks), and 1 from Gap. I ended up with a JCrew Sutherland from a friend, which is high quality but it is similar in style to the Bonobos Shamus - and so the search has continued. I like the style of each of these - it will probably come down to fit, but I'm hoping one of the other is a keeper!

As for being out of left field - the top one is a pretty classic style, just sans the covered placket that most macs have. The second one is styled on the traditional trench, just single-breasted and bit shorter.

Comment

Okay, maybe.

Comment

I like the first. The trimmer outline would work for me better than the dB versions

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                        For what its worth, I received this jacket. The material is nice, but the color has a more yellowish hue rather than the brown shown above - its subtle, but I'd have preferred it more brown/tan. The biggest problem is that the armholes are low. I didn't have that problem with my Tailored Fit Traveler jacket, but its definitely any issue with this one. Otherwise the fit is solid. I'll probably end up keeping it, since I paid less than $40 for it - but I would've been much happier with higher armholes... I"ll check out STP's return policy though - I'd rather not return for store credit, and don't want to pay $7 for return shipping.
                        Similar opinion here. Armholes are a little low for my liking but not horrible. I will likely keep it.

Comment

Never had a shirt-jacket before. Worth a try at $30

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...true&hash=row2

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                            Yoox dropped their prices today - so if you have any items in your Dream Box, you may want to check and see if they've dropped into your "must buy" price range (particularly with the extra 20% off). I've been looking for a mid-length single-breasted navy mac/trench, so bought each of these Allegri jackets to see if I like either:

I also had my eye on a few jackets - LBM, Boglioli, and Cantarelli - but those are just things I'd LIKE to have, whereas I actually need a rain coat... Besides, I'm intimidated and confused by the sizing on some of those brands!
                            the Matrix called, they want their look back

Comment

Originally posted by ninpb View Post
                              Never had a shirt-jacket before. Worth a try at $30

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...true&hash=row2
                              If you want to wear one like you would a hoodie, yes. Be warned: it does not have any hand pockets.

Comment

LOL.

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
                                the Matrix called, they want their look back

Comment

Working...
                                X