Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Purchases

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sorry, that's what I meant to say.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Jamie View Post
      I used the 35% STP facebook coupon to get this Tailored Fit Linen Glen Plaid jacket for under $40 ($48 with shipping):



      I have the Traveler's Wool jacket in Tailored Fit, and it required no tailoring, so if this fits the same it will probably be a keeper... Partially lined, Baird McNutt linen.
      For what its worth, I received this jacket. The material is nice, but the color has a more yellowish hue rather than the brown shown above - its subtle, but I'd have preferred it more brown/tan. The biggest problem is that the armholes are low. I didn't have that problem with my Tailored Fit Traveler jacket, but its definitely any issue with this one. Otherwise the fit is solid. I'll probably end up keeping it, since I paid less than $40 for it - but I would've been much happier with higher armholes... I"ll check out STP's return policy though - I'd rather not return for store credit, and don't want to pay $7 for return shipping.

      Comment


        Just got an email from Bedford & Broome stating that their Sullivan tie and bow tie were now available. So, just placed an order for both. Let's see how they turn out.

        Comment


          Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
          Just got an email from Bedford & Broome stating that their Sullivan tie and bow tie were now available. So, just placed an order for both. Let's see how they turn out.

          That's so rad, I may have to pick that one up too.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
            That's so rad, I may have to pick that one up too.
            We could be twinsies, bro!

            Comment


              Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
              We could be twinsies, bro!
              Hell yeah! Did you see their Fourth of July shop? A little too over the top for me, but I'll definitely be grabbing at least the pocket square. Solid colors are nice to have when you're clumsy/trashed. (Does anyone else use cotton pocket squares as handkerchiefs sometimes..?

              Comment


                Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                (Does anyone else use cotton pocket squares as handkerchiefs sometimes..?
                A few years ago, we were at a cousin's wedding when my mom grabbed my pocket square to wipe her tears... I almost said something when my dad grabbed my hands and shook his head ever so slightly. I sighed and let her have it. After all, it was her niece and her dad had just given a rather emotional speech.

                I don't personally use them as handkerchiefs, but I think if a lady should request it -- especially if she's your mother -- then you let her have it.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                  A few years ago, we were at a cousin's wedding when my mom grabbed my pocket square to wipe her tears... I almost said something when my dad grabbed my hands and shook his head ever so slightly. I sighed and let her have it. After all, it was her niece and her dad had just given a rather emotional speech.

                  I don't personally use them as handkerchiefs, but I think if a lady should request it -- especially if she's your mother -- then you let her have it.
                  I carry an extra in my pocket and a small towel in my backpack/laptop bag/tour bag most of the time, but for those rare occasions where I forget they definitely work out.

                  Comment


                    On another note, I have a thing for anchor ties - I am in fact wearing one right now.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                      I carry an extra in my pocket and a small towel in my backpack/laptop bag/tour bag most of the time, but for those rare occasions where I forget they definitely work out.
                      I find that I seldom wear pocket squares, especially when I'm wearing a tie.

                      I find it a lot more "acceptable" to wear a pocket square when I'm tie-less, because then I can rock a pocket square. But with a tie? I always feel like I'm doing too much (except when I'm at a wedding or at a social event).

                      Not sure how I feel about wearing a pocket square with a bow tie, though. I think I am still trying to do much, but it also takes away from the fact that you are the "bow tie dude". You're just a well-dressed, stylish dude when you have both, and suddenly, your bow tie isn't the center of everyone's attention.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                        I find that I seldom wear pocket squares, especially when I'm wearing a tie.

                        I find it a lot more "acceptable" to wear a pocket square when I'm tie-less, because then I can rock a pocket square. But with a tie? I always feel like I'm doing too much (except when I'm at a wedding or at a social event).

                        Not sure how I feel about wearing a pocket square with a bow tie, though. I think I am still trying to do much, but it also takes away from the fact that you are the "bow tie dude". You're just a well-dressed, stylish dude when you have both, and suddenly, your bow tie isn't the center of everyone's attention.
                        I like them a lot because they bring out small colors in things that people don't notice and help me match better. They can definitely take away from the tie/outfit's stand out factor though.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                          A few years ago, we were at a cousin's wedding when my mom grabbed my pocket square to wipe her tears... I almost said something when my dad grabbed my hands and shook his head ever so slightly. I sighed and let her have it. After all, it was her niece and her dad had just given a rather emotional speech.

                          I don't personally use them as handkerchiefs, but I think if a lady should request it -- especially if she's your mother -- then you let her have it.
                          I agree with this sentiment. I actually refuse to spend any money of substance on a pocket square because I like to retain the function. I heard a similar story of a man offering his to a woman at a wedding and it just seemed so "old school gentleman" that it stuck with me. OF course, once the square has been slimed it has to go to the inside pocket. I use solid colored handkerchiefs primarily. Might try out a bandanna because I kind of like this...

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                            I like them a lot because they bring out small colors in things that people don't notice and help me match better. They can definitely take away from the tie/outfit's stand out factor though.
                            I agree. I think in my case, I also have to wear a suit and tie for my job, so I feel too self-conscious peacocking too much.

                            So, I think I associate my ties with work. But I often wear bow ties and pocket squares outside of work, once the neck tie is off.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                              I agree with this sentiment. I actually refuse to spend any money of substance on a pocket square because I like to retain the function. I heard a similar story of a man offering his to a woman at a wedding and it just seemed so "old school gentleman" that it stuck with me. OF course, once the square has been slimed it has to go to the inside pocket. I use solid colored handkerchiefs primarily. Might try out a bandanna because I kind of like this...

                              I do the bandanna thing a lot with less formal suiting, particularly cotton like in that picture. It's a cool look and it's functional. Especially in NoVA/DC because it get's up in the high 80's to the low 100's every day in the summer.
                              Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                              I agree. I think in my case, I also have to wear a suit and tie for my job, so I feel too self-conscious peacocking too much.
                              That makes sense then, my office is decidedly not formal/conservative, so I get away with a lot of really dandy/peacocky elements on a daily basis.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                                I agree. I think in my case, I also have to wear a suit and tie for my job, so I feel too self-conscious peacocking too much.

                                So, I think I associate my ties with work. But I often wear bow ties and pocket squares outside of work, once the neck tie is off.
                                kindof depends on the pocket square of tie. I think a solid white pocket square with a basic presidential fold is classic. Or a light pattern with a solid tie.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X