Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=4193]sabrown[/MENTION] i tried both weejuns and these florsheims and ended up going with the florsheims. they may not be the classics, but they do me well:

http://www.amazon.com/Florsheim-Mens.../dp/B0010C8SH4

Comment

Received my first MTM - Proper Cloth, Thomas Mason light stripe oxford. Technically, the 2nd as the original shirt had a few issues but the revised version is spot on. Tempted to order a chambray and madras from them as well.

Comment

This.

What's there to say? J. Crew. Secret wash. Cool color. Point collar. On sale and discounted.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG]

My first pair of Alden cordovan longwings. Got them a couple weeks ago as an anniversary gift from my GF. She doesn't really approve of my new-found (almost a year-old) love of shoes, but she supposes it's better than squandering my money on getting drunk and going clubbing as people my age would normally do.

[/IMG]
          [IMG][/IMG]

My newest pair that I received yesterday are these navy pebbled grain Crockett and Jones conistons from the recent Barneys sale. It was purchased on a whim, but when I received them, I immediately decided to keep them. I've been looking for a pair of shoes I can wear in wet conditions and I think I've found them. Should be a really fun pair to wear.
          Last edited by movoblast; June 1, 2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Love the wings, not sure on the others. Maker?

Comment

The One Shoe! Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                I see. And I wouldn't. It's just that my gal and I are planning a fall trip to Minneapolis. We're starting our research on where to shop and where to dine, etc.
                The Galleria in Edina is where you'll want to go for higher end stores and restaurants. An AE store just opened there and there's another haberdasher called Twill by Scott Dayton.

Mpls has a TON of great restaurants, so it really depends what type of cuisine you like. I would recommend: George and The Dragon (British pub style), the Red Cow (gourmet burger joint), the Blackbird Cafe (for breakfast) and Victor's Cafe (Cuban restaurant that usually has long lines of people waiting to get in).

Comment

Love the wings, not sure on the others. Maker?
                  Crockett and Jones.
                  Here's a link:
                  http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware...-shoes&index=0
                  Not a cheap buy but I have definitely wanted a pair of conistons ever since I missed the last barneys sale for a pair of brown calf conistons which look really sexy. Pebbled navy definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but I instantly fell in love when I saw them in person. The only time I would buy Crockett and Jones shoes are during the barneys sales.

I also had a chance to buy the Crockett and Jones brown calf tetburys during the sale for $399 but I knew they would be way to European/narrow for my body frame. I'm a bigger guy and long narrow shoes just don't look good on me. I must admit that they are really sleek shoes and I would have loved to have them for $399.

Comment

Ah, yes, the Galleria. I remember that area from when I lived in Mpls in the early 80s. God, I miss living there. I wish I'd never left. Probably the best place I've ever lived.

Comment

Originally posted by movoblast View Post
                      My newest pair that I received yesterday are these navy pebbled grain Crockett and Jones conistons from the recent Barneys sale. It was purchased on a whim, but when I received them, I immediately decided to keep them. I've been looking for a pair of shoes I can wear in wet conditions and I think I've found them. Should be a really fun pair to wear.
                      i ordered these on thursday also. i'm still waiting for them. apparently they won't be delivered until tomorrow, while others received them on friday, a whole 5 days later. this is how far it needs to be shipped:

that's ~1 mile/day. not bad fedex!

Comment

Nice. Not that I need more wingtips. Believe it or not, the pair I'm wearing today, albeit in a medium tan, are the Sears Roebucks wingtips (actually, longwings) that I bought in high school. And that was a long time ago! Yes, they're just Sears, they made them so much better back then. The leather was always nice, and now it's broken in very well and is about as soft as butter. They still have the original soles and heels. I am still astounded that they have lasted, essentially, a lifetime.

That may also have to do with the fact that I have never worn them a lot. For a while, in high school, about once a week. In college, maybe once every month or two. Post-college, only on formal dress up occasions. They've probably gotten a lot more use in the past 5 or 6 years.

Originally posted by movoblast View Post
                        Crockett and Jones.
                        Here's a link:
                        http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware...-shoes&index=0
                        Not a cheap buy but I have definitely wanted a pair of conistons ever since I missed the last barneys sale for a pair of brown calf conistons which look really sexy. Pebbled navy definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but I instantly fell in love when I saw them in person. The only time I would buy Crockett and Jones shoes are during the barneys sales.

I also had a chance to buy the Crockett and Jones brown calf tetburys during the sale for $399 but I knew they would be way to European/narrow for my body frame. I'm a bigger guy and long narrow shoes just don't look good on me. I must admit that they are really sleek shoes and I would have loved to have them for $399.
                        Last edited by Duvel; June 2, 2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Ah, yes, the Galleria. I remember that area from when I lived in Mpls in the early 80s. God, I miss living there. I wish I'd never left. Probably the best place I've ever lived.
                          I don't live that far from the Galleria. I only go there once in awhile though as it tends to be fairly crowded. It's interesting, the Twill store stocks AE and now that AE has moved in to the Galleria my guess is they'll stop carrying them. Other than that, Hubert White in downtown Mpls carries Alden and a few other brands.

Comment

Probably good for shoes right now. We might be more interested in clothes in general, shirts, sweaters, pants, outerwear, etc. Any recommendations for that kind of thing?

Comment

Probably good for shoes right now. We might be more interested in clothes in general, shirts, sweaters, pants, outerwear, etc. Any recommendations for that kind of thing?
                              Depends on the price point you're looking at. Some of the "luxury" stores include BlackBlue, Askov Finlayson, and Martin Patrick 3 (by far the largest). I haven't been to Twill in the Galleria before, but I know think there's also a Len Druskin Man there, and sometimes they have items of interest. Not that you wear dress clothes that often, but if you're in downtown St. Paul, Heime's Haberdashery is worth a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                                i ordered these on thursday also. i'm still waiting for them. apparently they won't be delivered until tomorrow, while others received them on friday, a whole 5 days later. this is how far it needs to be shipped:

that's ~1 mile/day. not bad fedex!
                                I've definitely had multiple bad experiences with the Fedex in my area. One time they delivered to 4151 instead of 4115. I had to go and retrieve my package myself. Another time, I saw the Fedex driver literally throwing my package. Another time, the driver left a $600 package on the porch when he could have walked up 3 steps, opened the door to the lobby, and left it in the lobby, and I'm not in the safest neighborhood either. In my most recent encounter, I saw the Fedex driver walk up to my door WITHOUT my package, and leave a delivery attempt note. I ran outside and confronted him about his laziness. He lied that he rang my doorbell multiple times. I told him I was watching him from my window, and his excuse was that he delivers to the entire 3 blocks, so that automatically makes up for his laziness. I was speechless....

With such negligence by so many of the Fedex workers, I'm surprised that we even get most of our packages.

Comment

Working...
                                X