Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not clothing related but the wife and I bought our first home! That means less clothing related "Recent Purchases" posts indefinitely haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Focuspants View Post
      Not clothing related but the wife and I bought our first home! That means less clothing related "Recent Purchases" posts indefinitely haha.
      Congrats. I'm in the middle of selling my 1st home (which I bought 4 years ago) and buying my 2nd home.

Comment

Recent Purchases

[MENTION=2759]Focuspants[/MENTION] congrats bro! My wife and I are preparing to sell our starter home in the next year or two. My daughter is near preschool age and we are adamant about her being in a great district. Luckily Mass has a ton of great districts. [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION], how was the sell process, was it contingent on you finding suitable housing?
        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
          [MENTION=2759]Focuspants[/MENTION] congrats bro! My wife and I are preparing to sell our starter home in the next year or two. My daughter is near preschool age and we are adamant about her being in a great district. Luckily Mass has a ton of great districts. [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION], how was the sell process, was it contingent on you finding suitable housing?
          Selling is much more stressful than buying. When buying, it's your credit and savings that matter. It's stuff you have control over. When selling, it's the other persons credit and such that matters. It's also an FHA loan they're doing which means the lender is going to be much more strict. Also, it's a pain having people walking through your house when you first list it for sale.

Our new home is new construction so didn't gave to put any type of contingency on it. I won't officially close on that for another 4 months or so.

Comment

Thanks guys. We decided to spend a bit more from the get go, so we moved into a newer development in a relatively affluent area, and got a 3 bedroom place so we wouldnt be forced to move if/when kids popped out. We will likely upgrade sometime in the future, but we didnt want to be in a position where we were forced to move if spawnlings appeared.

Buying was stressful, but I could imagine selling being even more so. I would hate to have to have people walk through all the time, and be at the mercy of the people purchasing. My in laws had a nightmare experience recently where people backed out on closing day, they had to go to court to sue them, just a mess. Obviously I hope things go well for you guys, and chances are they will, I just dont like when things that important are out of my control.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post

Went to JCP today and came out with some pretty good pieces at thrift store prices. In total I paid 30 bucks for everything. #winning
              Love the vest. Do you happen to have the style number or know the name of it?

Comment

We're in the process of buying our first home too. We're moving to The Woodlands, and the housing market is just nuts. Houses are sold before they even go on the market. We were trying to put an offer on one, but it was already taken after being on the market not even 48 hours. Living 90 miles away doesn't make it any easier either.

Comment

Thanks guys. We decided to spend a bit more from the get go, so we moved into a newer development in a relatively affluent area, and got a 3 bedroom place so we wouldnt be forced to move if/when kids popped out. We will likely upgrade sometime in the future, but we didnt want to be in a position where we were forced to move if spawnlings appeared.
                  My current home was similar. I bought a 4 bedroom townhouse in an area with highly rated schools. Unfortunately I bought it before getting married and didn't pay much attention to things like closet space, kitchen cabinets, and other stuff that women care more about. We don't have to move but since we've been considering moving to Texas, now is a good time to do so. I made sure the new place has tons of closet space. That should never be an issue again. Every bedroom in the new place has a walk-in closet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherath14 View Post
                    Love the vest. Do you happen to have the style number or know the name of it?
                    I will check when I get home.
                    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                    I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                      We're in the process of buying our first home too. We're moving to The Woodlands, and the housing market is just nuts. Houses are sold before they even go on the market. We were trying to put an offer on one, but it was already taken after being on the market not even 48 hours. Living 90 miles away doesn't make it any easier either.
                      I feel you on this one. The housing market is insane here too. You cant even look at a detached house thats less than 600k within a 45 minute drive from where I am now, and I am already north of the city. We lost out on another place that had been posted for only a day. The competition is fierce. Luckily the place we settled on ended up being better, the sellers were in a hurry to sell, and we didnt run into any competitors, so we actually got it for 20k under market value. Keep chugging along, somethign will come up (as frustrating as it is). We went the townhome route, but we went for a freehold one because I dont want to be at the mercy of the community board.

Vicious, our place has a gigantic master bedroom, like you could fit 10 queen sized beds in it, and it has a big walk in closet, which was a must. Lots of space for the clothing and shoes. No walk-in was means for elimination for us haha.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350881390505

just got that.

Comment

Got both of these incoming to try out.

Looking for a relatively lightweight spring/summer coat with a longer, more tailored, more elegant silhouette than the light outerwear I currently own. Based purely on shape and aesthetics, I'm leaning more toward the Suitsupply cotton pea coat. Too bad it's twice the price of the Bonobos trench (with my $75 of store credit). (But still less than half the price of the Burberry trench I was originally considering.)
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by anonsurfer View Post
                            Ordered the JCF Thompson navy chino suit. Many say it is a little roomier than their suits in other materials and maybe a little too dark so not sure if it will work for me.
                            Just received the JCF Thompson "warm" navy chino suit. Definitely too dark for me, looks black. Fit was OK. Not sure if I am going to exchange it and try the navy cotton pique suit or just return it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                              My current home was similar. I bought a 4 bedroom townhouse in an area with highly rated schools. Unfortunately I bought it before getting married and didn't pay much attention to things like closet space, kitchen cabinets, and other stuff that women care more about. We don't have to move but since we've been considering moving to Texas, now is a good time to do so. I made sure the new place has tons of closet space. That should never be an issue again. Every bedroom in the new place has a walk-in closet.
                              I'm excited for you! A couple of my friends are from texas and from what they tell me, it sounds like a state I would love to move to.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              Got both of these incoming to try out.

Looking for a relatively lightweight spring/summer coat with a longer, more tailored, more elegant silhouette than the light outerwear I currently own. Based purely on shape and aesthetics, I'm leaning more toward the Suitsupply cotton pea coat. Too bad it's twice the price of the Bonobos trench (with my $75 of store credit). (But still less than half the price of the Burberry trench I was originally considering.)
                              Is there a current bonobos promo code? I got the BR trench in a sale about a month ago but the fit is way off (which reminds me that I need to go return it because tomorrow is the 30th day). I saw the bonobos trench and love how it looks. I would try it out at the right price.

Comment

Originally posted by movoblast View Post
                                Is there a current bonobos promo code? I got the BR trench in a sale about a month ago but the fit is way off (which reminds me that I need to go return it because tomorrow is the 30th day). I saw the bonobos trench and love how it looks. I would try it out at the right price.
                                Not sure about any current promos.

I got the trench yesterday. The fit is pretty good... actually better than I was expecting based on the photos. The shoulders and upper sleeves are a little bit snug to wear over a jacket, though I'm not sure that's how I'd want to wear it anyway.

My main concern is the material - it's very fine, and treated for waterproofness, so it has a microfiber-type feel to it. Combined with the dark color, I expect it is going to attract lint and dust like a magnet. I'm not convinced yet that I will keep it, so I'm waiting for the SS pea coat to arrive for comparison.
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X