Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to give my nicer shoes a break and pick up some Shoes for Crews "Senator" in brown for work use. I'm on my feet all day with plenty of movement (in wet 'ol Oregon, too), so although I prefer dressier shoes, these will be more practical. And since we're going to company labeled polos for shirts instead of having pretty free range with what to wear, these will work just fine with what will now be my usual day to day chinos in a variety of colors.

Overall pretty impressed on unboxing and trying on. Leather is nice and soft and appears to be good quality. They're a touch wide, but not bad at all. Very comfortable to walk in and the soles were very stable on my hardwood floors at home. At work today I managed to almost slip a couple times in my leather soled chelsea's, so this will be welcomed.

Only almost negative is they are a very light brown, like AE walnut light brown. Darker would be more versatile for me, and I may try to darken them a bit.

Here's a pic next to my brown AE Perry's that have been my go-to brown cap toe. Hard to believe, but they Perry's almost have a sexy shape in comparison. They're also obviously narrower, but the SFC's should feel much better after 9 hours. The Perry's are a B, and ideally in AE, I'm a C width.

Overall, very pleased for what they are!

Comment

Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
      Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots from STP, brown, just arrived today! I'm not entirely certain, but it looks like they are practically perfect. Very few scuffs and scratches on the uppers, only a few scuffs on the tongues, and a hole has been punched through one to signify that they are seconds. However, there is some loose stitching in the back and top of both boots, and one of the stitches looks crooked... But I don't think it would be noticeable while worn, or even at all unless you're really looking for it. But I'd appreciate any input nonetheless, since I am a bit anxious about it. Despite the savings, for me it almost isn't worth buying seconds, because I can never feel entirely confident in them, knowing that there could be hidden defects somewhere or other.
      I think they look pretty great! You probably got a great deal on some sweet boots - if there's no obvious defects after close inspection and they fit well, then start wearing the heck out of them!

Comment

Excellent choice, Trueflame. I am a big fan of good work boots. I wear my Red Wing 877s almost daily.

Comment

My wife and I were out in a part of town we'd never been to before. We had time to kill before the play started so we were walking around the area. Stopped in what turned out to be a vintage clothing store...vintage meaning used. Found a Gap peacoat in my size and good condition for $15. I won't get to wear it until next winter, but I had been wanting a peacoat. Heavy and feels like it will be warm. Not bad for the price.

Comment

Got this in today. Trying to decide if it looks too big for my wrist. Normally 42mm is a perfect size for me but with the square casing on this one the lugs come out further than my other watches.

Comment

V., to me, it looks too big. I also don't like the display much.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                V., to me, it looks too big. I also don't like the display much.
                I like the display but the lugs are almost exactly the same width as my wrist. I added a shot from further away to give a different perspective.

Comment

It wouldn't be my style, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                    Got this in today. Trying to decide if it looks too big for my wrist. Normally 42mm is a perfect size for me but with the square casing on this one the lugs come out further than my other watches.
                    Too big for my taste, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      I like the display but the lugs are almost exactly the same width as my wrist. I added a shot from further away to give a different perspective.

I agree that it's not my style either. Putting that aside, I don't think it looks particularly bad on you. These pictures that aren't up close look much better than the close ups you first posted. If you like larger wearing watches, then I say keep it and wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                        Too big for my taste, personally.
                        Yup, I think it's going to have to go back. Oh well.

Comment

Picked up my second pair of 1000 mile seconds from STP today. I Love my boot so much. they are beautifully made, fit perfectly, and are super comfy. So I'm job hunting, and have a big interview coming up, I figured I could use a pair of lucky interview shoes.

Comment

After a couple years of buying a lot of Banana Republic and J Crew (and J Crew Factory) blazers and shirts, I have recently come to love JC Penney of all places. I'm 5'11", 160 pounds, and I find that their Stafford "fitted" dress shirts (15 x 34-35) and their Stafford wool and camel-hair sportcoats in 38R fit me almost perfectly off-the-rack. More surprisingly, the sportcoats are their "classic fit." They don't seem boxy on my frame at all. I've also realized that I don't like the super-tailored look or feel as much as I used to.

I recently dropped about $700 on a bunch of jackets and shirts.

Makes me wish I would've tried them a lot earlier in my wardwobe-building experience.

Comment

I am a big fan of JCP as well. The quality isn't fantastic, but for cheap staples they can't be beat IMO. Just get your tailor to cut open the pockets for your collar stays in those fitted shirts. JCP is also great if you want to try out new styles, since almost everything can be had for so cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by ASchuelke View Post
                                their Stafford wool and camel-hair sportcoats in 38R fit me almost perfectly off-the-rack. More surprisingly, the sportcoats are their "classic fit." They don't seem boxy on my frame at all.
                                I'll echo this. I ordered this last week to try it out (primarily because it's one of the only 38L blazers I've been able to find), and the fit was excellent despite being a "classic fit". The armholes were relatively high, the shoulder padding was manageably small (which may be because this is a casual summer jacket, I'm not sure), and the fit created a very masculine v-shape right off the rack. I didn't end up keeping it (seriously, who fully lines a linen-cotton blazer in polyester?), but the fit impressed me.

Comment

Working...
                                X