Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that one as well, but Im willing to pay the extra for the exact one I wanted. I wasn't a fan of the hands on the target version, plus I can absolutely live with the band on the Amazon one where the target one would have needed to be replaced quickly, imo. Plus it's not like either is a budget blower.

Comment

Timex weekenders can usually be found on eBay with NATO strap for under $30 shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by dackman View Post
        Picked up the Barbour-esque (I say this very, very lightly) Stafford Prep Redford Coated jacket at JCP on my lunch break today for...$5.34. Yeah, yeah, I know its a cheap knock-off, but I couldn't help it, I needed something lighter than my peacoat for casual wear and at that price they may have as well have been giving it away! The fit was pretty solid too.
        Mine has actually become my favorite jacket. If I can get to a store to try on a Bedale I will, but in the meantime, I like the fit and the look.

Comment

In protest of today's below freezing temperature, I bought this: http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/brown-boat-shoe

Now if it was only warm enough to wear them.

Comment

Nice. But isn't it like 4x the price of a Sperry Original?

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              More like 3x, but yeah they're certainly quite a bit pricier. However, the leather and construction are much better, they'll last longer and I like supporting local businesses. In person I also feel that they look a lot nicer.

During the summer I'm almost never in an office and when I am it's extremely casual. These will get a lot of wear.

YMMV, of course, but the price difference seems is worth it to me (assuming they last like they're supposed to).

Comment

Okay, well, they look good. I do like my Sperrys. They seem to be holding up well after 4 summers.

Comment

Originally posted by dackman View Post
                  Picked up the Barbour-esque (I say this very, very lightly) Stafford Prep Redford Coated jacket at JCP on my lunch break today for...$5.34. Yeah, yeah, I know its a cheap knock-off, but I couldn't help it, I needed something lighter than my peacoat for casual wear and at that price they may have as well have been giving it away! The fit was pretty solid too.
                  Did they have any more on clearance? I can't that jacket anywhere in the northeast

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                    I used to be a die hard Sperry fan, too. But they're crap now.

Mine aren't lasting more than two years: Every pair I own, the sole eventually hardens and no longer grips. I actually am sliding around in them, which is the opposite of what a boat shoe should do. I've had this happen on three pairs, two with the classic sole and one with a newer sole (not sure what its called). The sole on my navy boat shoes has also discolored and turned an ugly yellow. Plus, the leather on the Originals is also very thin and cheap - If I were sticking to Sperry, I would only buy suede or canvas, which have held up much better. I don't 'abuse' my Sperrys and am generally pretty good with shoe care, so I definitely think this is a quality thing on their end. This has happened to shoes I've actually gone sailing in (always washed off with fresh water after) and shoes that have only seen pavement.

Sperry makes better versions, but the Gold Cup are $150 and the Made in USA ones are $250. Considering that, I'd say Oak Street / Rancourt / Quoddy are priced appropriately and competitively for what they offer. My understanding is that resoling generally runs $50 a pop, as well, which I find fairly reasonable. Yeah, $50 is almost as much as the throw away Sperrys, but I'd rather have a better made, quality, shoe that I can repair rather than toss in the garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by PREID View Post
                      Did they have any more on clearance? I can't that jacket anywhere in the northeast
                      I saw them about two weeks ago in Springfield, VA for about $14. I tried 'em on, but the fit was weird on me - too tight/constricting through the back in Medium (my usual size) and the Large was just way too big. It just had a weird shape or construction, but it was definitely not a good fit for me - and I'm a pretty average shaped guy. I saw another guy try one on and he had the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
                        I used to be a die hard Sperry fan, too. But they're crap now.

Mine aren't lasting more than two years: Every pair I own, the sole eventually hardens and no longer grips. I actually am sliding around in them, which is the opposite of what a boat shoe should do. I've had this happen on three pairs, two with the classic sole and one with a newer sole (not sure what its called). The sole on my navy boat shoes has also discolored and turned an ugly yellow. Plus, the leather on the Originals is also very thin and cheap - If I were sticking to Sperry, I would only buy suede or canvas, which have held up much better. I don't 'abuse' my Sperrys and am generally pretty good with shoe care, so I definitely think this is a quality thing on their end. This has happened to shoes I've actually gone sailing in (always washed off with fresh water after) and shoes that have only seen pavement.

Sperry makes better versions, but the Gold Cup are $150 and the Made in USA ones are $250. Considering that, I'd say Oak Street / Rancourt / Quoddy are priced appropriately and competitively for what they offer. My understanding is that resoling generally runs $50 a pop, as well, which I find fairly reasonable. Yeah, $50 is almost as much as the throw away Sperrys, but I'd rather have a better made, quality, shoe that I can repair rather than toss in the garbage.
                        I'll have to consider that when buying a new pair this summer. I've got a pair in canvas that I bought 4 summer ago that are holding up ok. I really want a pair in brown leather for this summer though. I bought the canvas sperries back when I was trying to get into dressing better but didn't really know what I was doing. Now I know a lot more and have refined my tastes a lot. Plus now I live in Florida so why not embrace the whole beach/near the water look.

Just got these in the mail:

http://www.ctshirts.com/Navy-gingham...v|||||||||||||

http://www.ctshirts.com/Melbury--sky...y|||||||||||||

The second one is actually in a slim fit, not classic.

Still waiting on a solid white and solid pink one.

Comment

Originally posted by PREID View Post
                          I know the two closest stores to me both had my size in stock still.

Comment

I haven't owned a good pair of sunglasses in a while. It was between these (Ray Ban RB8052 158/83) and the Maui Jim Wiki Wiki which are both titanium frame so they're very light. I drive quite a bit for work so light weight is important. Anyway, I like these a little more than the Maui Jims (plus a friend of mine already has the MJs) and got a decent deal on Amazon.

Comment

Recent Purchases

Bought these gems off Rue Lala paid 30 for em with a few vouchers.
                              Cole haan grants. They will be making thier first appearance when I turnaround the winter collection to spring summer.
                              "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                              I>0<I

Comment

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots from STP, brown, just arrived today! I'm not entirely certain, but it looks like they are practically perfect. Very few scuffs and scratches on the uppers, only a few scuffs on the tongues, and a hole has been punched through one to signify that they are seconds. However, there is some loose stitching in the back and top of both boots, and one of the stitches looks crooked... But I don't think it would be noticeable while worn, or even at all unless you're really looking for it. But I'd appreciate any input nonetheless, since I am a bit anxious about it. Despite the savings, for me it almost isn't worth buying seconds, because I can never feel entirely confident in them, knowing that there could be hidden defects somewhere or other.

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/1J8HQ#0
                                They were covered in some kind of white/gray dust/dirt, and arrived in a plain brown unmarked box. I cleaned them with a wet cloth, then let them dry, and brushed them with a horsehair brush. Haven't applied anything yet, since I want to be 100% certain I'm keeping them first. In terms of size, I think they are just right. Maybe I could have even sized down more, but I doubt I would be able to wear thick socks then. Instead I went for a size 9, which is what I wear in CDB and Red Wing Beckmans. Speaking of which, these feel noticeably smaller and lighter than the Beckmans, which I was not expecting.

Comment

Working...
                                X